CONTINUATION OF MY 1:20 SCALE SCRATCH BUILT B17G (RADIO ROOM)

Fozzy

Hi everyone

Just when you thought that it was impossible to cram any more equipment into the turret Mr Sperry thought it was best to install the K4 gun sight!....and it isn't a small piece of equipment either!...it sat just above the gunners rib cage!😲

I made the gun sight by shaping a small piece of balsa wood and then covering it with some plastic card....then all the bits and bobs were simply glued on!

Here it is before being painted......

L.jpg

....and here are some different angles of the K 4 gun sight before being placed into the turret.....

L_(1).jpg

L_(2).jpg

L_(3).jpg

L_(4).jpg

So here are some photos of the gun sight squeezed into the turret.......poor gunner!

L_(5).jpg

L_(6).jpg

L_(7).jpg

Looking through the gunners hatch.......

L_(8).jpg

L_(9).jpg

Here is a shot through the front glass on the ball turret showing the (blue) sight glass.......

L_(10).jpg

L_(11).jpg

L_(12).jpg

Its a slow old process but I think I am getting there!

Next up is....yep you guessed it .....more equipment!!

Till then thanks for taking a look...always appreciated😉

Fozzy

• Like 20

And your posts are always appreciated, Fozzy.

A lovely little bombsight. Of course the details are still secret,

so expect a knock on your door soon!

I wonder what a ball turret weighed, and how 

many more bombs could have been carried without it?

Regards

I'd like to know how they even managed to shoe-horn a person in there as well! Had to have been a jockey in peace-time, surely! :o I am starting to gain a greater respect for 'Rascal' in 'Memphis Belle'...

Stupendous modelling :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

Thanks a lot guys😉

Here is a photo I found that shows just how tight it was inside the turret....no wonder the gunner had to be short!.......

01_Sperry_Ball_Turret.jpg

I certainly wouldn't relish the thought of climbing in there for a few hours of combat!

• Like 5

All relevant expletives discarded

In all my sixtyish years of aero modelling this part of this wonderful model has completely struck my AWE supply

Never seen anything as damned wonderful Fozzy,  think I'll make that two vodkandcokes mate

• Like 2

Spectacular as usual. I knew the ball was a tight fit, but had no idea it was THAT tight.

I have heard stories of Infantrymen taunting flight crews and offering to swap jobs, saying they'd love to be home in a warm billet every night, only to rescind the offer when they found out the subject of their challenge was a ball gunner!

Ian

• Like 1

Cheers chaps!....

Thanks for all your great comments!

I have never been so challenged and having fun at the same time with this turret. I started this project well over 2 years now and even with all the cockpit work , upper turret and bomb bay I have done so far .....it hasn't come near to the interest that this ball is giving me!

I think when you scratch build something you get to really know the subject ....hardly surprising really as I have been staring at hundreds of photos trying to figure out what goes where....the size of each part and how it attaches to the next part...and hopefully get it right!....and in turn it helps you understand how the real thing is put together!....I know I keep banging on about the bravery of these boys who had to climb into these coffins......it would scare the living daylights out of me!

Fozzy

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon chaps

May I just say before I start on this post.......

Has anyone else noticed that some of the photos are coming back on the posts from Photobucket?...really odd as there was no warning....all the photos from some of my old posts from other models I have made years ago are returning!...please let me know if you are experiencing the same thing....not complaining but don't trust the beggers and I won't be returning to them!😠

Any how..onto the old ball turret!

I have added yet another layer of equipment that is found in the turret!....this time its the control pack for the gunner to move the turret from left to right and up and down and also the firing buttons for the 50 cals!

The control box was difficult as I really didn't have many photos of different angles of it , so some of it was guess work I am afraid!....twice I got the scale wrong because of lack of photos but got there in the end and I think it looks reasonably accurate!

I also built a chain gear box for the movement of the ball which I will show you first.......

Here it is completely made from plastic scrap......

M.jpg

....and here is the difficult to build control unit!.......

M_(1).jpg

M_(2).jpg

M_(3).jpg

The next set of photos show the two parts built placed in their position in the turret..........

M_(4).jpg

M_(5).jpg

M_(6).jpg

So here we have the parts painted ...................

M_(7).jpg

M_(8).jpg

M_(9).jpg

M_(10).jpg

M_(11).jpg

M_(12).jpg

M_(13).jpg

Now.....your be pleased to know that were on the last push for finishing the internal construction...I know I will be!!!....just a box and cable here and there and then it will be the time to try and fit the top of the turret on and to start building the external detail.

I will be back with the last bit of detail soon.....till then...thanks a lot for looking in guys ☺️

Fozzy

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Just how much more can you fit into there Fozzy?

Looking superb sir.

Simon.

Just one more post worth Simon!😉

• Haha 1

I can't believe how much detail you've crammed in there. Its so cramped i don't know how gunners managed to get themselves in. The amount of effort you are putting in is a fitting tribute to their bravery.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2018 at 12:43, Fozzy said:

Has anyone else noticed that some of the photos are coming back on the posts from Photobucket?...really odd as there was no warning....all the photos from some of my old posts from other models I have made years ago are returning!...please let me know if you are experiencing the same thing....not complaining but don't trust the beggers and I won't be returning to them!😠

Mine are still blocked Fozzy, even with the FireFox 'fix'. Ho hum...

Great detail (as usual) - that control box is just amazing :) 

• Like 1

Hi guys

I am pleased to announce that the ball turret construction has come to an end! leaving me with just the detail above the ball that will be shown inside the fuselage.

I have to say that although it was a challenge.... I thoroughly enjoyed this part of the B17G build!......I didn't realize from the offset how much equipment there was inside the turret😮 and I have learn' t a lot about the operation of the turret along the way.

Since my last post I finished off by placing an electrical box and cable on top of all the other detail!...and had to make the gunners hatch door that I will show you first.........

N.jpg

the next photo shows the inside of the door.....

N_(1).jpg

I have temporarily blue tacked the gunners door in its place on the turret for these next set of photos.....

So here is the completed turret at different angles placed on a medicine dispenser I found that held it steady whilst photographing!!....took me ages to scratch build this so no apologies for the amount of photos!!😉

N_(2).jpg

N_(3).jpg

N_(4).jpg

N_(5).jpg

N_(6).jpg

N_(7).jpg

N_(8).jpg

N_(9).jpg

N_(10).jpg

Here it is turned upside down so you can see the detail!.....

N_(11).jpg

N_(12).jpg

N_(13).jpg

N_(14).jpg

Here is the turret temporarily placed in the fuselage to get some idea of what it might look like when finished!....

N_(15).jpg

N_(16).jpg

N_(17).jpg

N_(18).jpg

Well done for sticking around to look at all the photos!😀

So now its back to the Radio room section of the fuselage which will incorporate this ball turret.

I will start by skinning the interior of the bottom section half and will post again when I have made some progress.

Thanks a lot for looking in

Fozzy

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Wow Fozzy, well worth the pics sir.

Damn fine stuff, scratch built as well.

Simon.

Thanks Simon.....when I started out with getting the turret done I thought that this would kill the whole project...so I'm pleased that it all came together in the end!!

• Like 1