Hi guys!

So i'm afraid i've very much caught the submarine bug. Having started with the Kursk here, I've moved onto Bronco's HMS Vanguard, one of the 4 SSBNs handling our nuclear deterrent. The kit is simply stunning to put it simply, there's so much detail from the towed sonar array right towards the bow sonar. I painted the submarine three different shades of black (believe me I did! The photo set up I've got is a bit rough though...) to account for the sections below and above the waterline as well as the main 'deck' and fin. The bow sonar dome is Tamiya acrylic gloss black and the trident missile is simply NATO green and white. Weathering was kept basic because 1. This is only my second submarine so I'm trying to keep things easy for myself and 2. the reference photos I saw of it showed it to be relatively clean.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Again, sorry for the quality of the photos, they may just look like variable photos of a black pudding but thanks for looking!

Sam

• Like 14

For a second sub build, your Vanguard looks neat :yes:.

Like I said in your Alpha RFI, black is difficult to photograph and can be just as difficult to paint.

I have a Vanguard in my stash, among others, and I plan to build it without the missile hatches open, and with less masts sticking out of the sail/ fin/ conning tower. 

• Like 1

I've done the Bronco Vanguard .....here.

But aren't British nuclear subs boring ??? - they come in black, black or .....black!!

At least Russian and US subs have a red bottom (ooo-er!) that provides some contrast.

I usually paint mine using rattle cans of acryllic car sprays - Red Primer for the lower hull and Volvo Dark Grey for the 'black' areas.

Volvo Dark Grey is just off-black - which is great in this scale. For a lighter (but still dark) I use Rover Tempest Grey.

My collection of 1/350 scale subs is here :- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_submarines_350_scale.html

Happy Submarining!

Ken

PS - I also add a couple of crew figures to add scale.....

USS%20Chicago_04.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

What grey/ blacks did you use on your Vanguard;

Stuart,

I think I used Volvo Dark Grey overall - with Halfords Gloss Black for the bow sonar.

I then masked off the anti-slip walkway/decking and brush painted it matt black.

A few streaks of 'rust' using weathering powders....

Then a final coat of Games Workshop 'Purity Seal' to give a nice satin/matt finish.

I've just found some more pics of my model - I'll add them to my website...

Ken