Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I -Hawker Aircraft (Shelf of doom refugee #2)

The second of my refugees is also a refugee from a GB from a couple of years ago, and is the wonderful fabric-winged Hurricane from Airfix. This is a little belter of a model, and will not be the only one to cross my workbench -and I have the Iliad decal sheet to reinforce it.

25319636157_6b6228ee4e_k.jpgHurricane G-AFKX 1 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

This particular Hurricane was bailed back to Hawker Aircraft in 1939, repainted silver and given a civilian registration. It was used for trials of various propellers and Merlin variants, and may even have been fitted with metal wings at some point. There are a number of photographs of it with a Rotol prop, but according to Putnam's Hawker Aircraft since 1920 it initially flew with a Watts two-bladed prop before commencing its trials. I decided to portray it as such, with the propeller in varnished wood. I have absolutely no idea what colour the prop was, but went for the varnished option as the earlier Hawker biplanes look the part with that combination.

25319636027_d86422064c_k.jpgHurricane G-AFKX 2 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

Paints used were Vallejo Metal Color acrylics, which airbrush very well and are a good substitute for Alclads if solvent-based paints are an issue. 77701 Aluminium was used for the fabric areas, with 77707 Chrome for the metal parts, with a coat of Alclad Klear Kote semi-matt. For the prop I painted the blades with Humbrol 110 Natural Wood and dry brushed with 173 Track Colour before overcoating with one coat of transparent orange. I seem to have achieved the effect I was after. The Iliad decals are beautifully thin with no sign of the carrier film.

25319635817_6563588953_k.jpgHurricane G-AFKX 3 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

39479635454_59391b2c82_k.jpgHurricane G-AFKX 4 by Martin Schofield, on Flickr

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Like 52

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely and different. Very well done. Based on positive comments found about everywhere, I just bought different Vallejo metal color paints but didn't use these yet. Such a nice painting job makes me eager to try these for my next build.

• 9 months later...

Hi Martin. Hope you're still getting notifications on this thread.

Rob here... moved to Southampton if you remember?

I found this old thread while researching G-AFKX. I'm doing the same with the airfix kit.

As you can imagine, I'm using Ali foil up front.

I came across some 3view drawings showing large black reg lettering on the wings, top and bottom.

Are they false information?

I haven't found any photo evidence for the wings and see no hint of lettering on the few side view pics.

I see you ( and most other builders) have gone with blank wings, and that is my plan too.

Just that those drawings threw me a bit.

Wondered if you'd found any further information on the subject.

Hope all's well with you and the West Cornwall Group. Hope to see you at a show sometime?

Bovvi or Poole Vikings?

How far do you travel these days?

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob

Good to hear from you.

All of the photographs I found suggested that the reg was carried on the fuselage only. Certainly Iliad thought so too, as those were the only markings in their decal set.

All is well down west, and I may get to one of the Bovingdon shows in 2019.

Happy Christmas

Martin

• Like 1