Leichte Zugkraftwagen 3t -Sd.Kfz.11-2nd Panzer '44

Redcoat2966

10 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

discovered to specs of crap on the inside once I sealed it..

You've got to be inventive. Just tell everyone that it's where the driver splatted a fly.

It's looking superb.

John.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You've got to be inventive. Just tell everyone that it's where the driver splatted a fly.

It's looking superb.

John.

9 hours ago, Kris B said:

I do not like to repeat myself, but looks super. 

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

simply stunning.... and a great subject

.:thanks: Chaps...:like:..appreciate it.

Yes John, I think I'll have to. Wish it was on the front windscreen and not the sides. It might have been lost in the dust I am going to do for the wipers.

Yes Rob, I thought so too. I do like soft skinned and halftracked Axis AFV's......planning on maybe an Opel Blitz. That's if can stand my stash looking at me that needs to be built and buy yet another kit.,......🤔

7 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

.:thanks: Chaps...:like:..appreciate it.

Yes John, I think I'll have to. Wish it was on the front windscreen and not the sides. It might have been lost in the dust I am going to do for the wipers.

Yes Rob, I thought so too. I do like soft skinned and halftracked Axis AFV's......planning on maybe an Opel Blitz. That's if can stand my stash looking at me that needs to be built and buy yet another kit.,......🤔

seeing this I have been contemplating a Blitz... maybe with something mounted on the back... BUT I need to build a few of my others (my stash is only 4 kits - Scammel Transporter, Matilda (to go on the back) M4 HTS (probably the next build) and a Kozmolet artillery tractor (going to do this one in white wash and hairspray technique before th HST as think thats how I want it to look).... 

On 6/9/2018 at 7:24 PM, robw_uk said:

seeing this I have been contemplating a Blitz... maybe with something mounted on the back... BUT I need to build a few of my others (my stash is only 4 kits - Scammel Transporter, Matilda (to go on the back) M4 HTS (probably the next build) and a Kozmolet artillery tractor (going to do this one in white wash and hairspray technique before th HST as think thats how I want it to look).... 

You made me get off my backside and actually check the stash.....I think the Blitz for me may be a little further off than I would hope.....:S

Partially built

Trumpeter Sturer Emil - Under construction -(8 years later..still looking at me...:rant:)

Tamiya - T34 - final mud stages

Tamiya Wespe - Once primed.....😬, on to completion of build

Tamiya Steyer - Primed and ready for first coats.

SIG 33 - Final touch's required

Zugkraftwagen above - final stages, then the Dragon 20mm Flak

Tamiya - 8 Rad (bored with it, on the back burner)

Dragon - "Grille" 38T Assault gun......needs priming and painting.

Stash 

Tamiya - Stuka Zu Fuss + PE upgrade

Tamiya - Marder III M + PE

Tamiya - Mobelwagen 3.7cm Flak + PE

Tamiya - Stug III Ausf G + PE

Tamiya - Panzer III Ausf N + PE

Dragon - Hornise with full ABER PE upgrade sets.

Dragon - Pz.Sfl.IVb 10,5cm le.FH. 18/1 Sd.Kfz. 165/1 Ausf. A

Dragon - Pz.Kpfw. V Panther Ausf. G "Night Fighting Panther"

Unless I get the Blitz and don't tell anyone........:giggle:

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Confused 1

Quick update: I'll never use rubber bands in any kit.......nothing seems to stick to the tracks supplied by AFV......Tamiya primer just flaked off..:rant:..unless someone has some magic medium that sticks, the Zug's on hold until I get the funds to get some Friul's or injection moulded ones.......bummer....:crying:

So off to battle with the Steyer 1500........:boxing:

Gosh, that is sad. Did you wash them thoroughly in soaby water? Or maybe rinse in alcohol? Have the original AFV club Tiger tracks and these worked nicely, maybe another formula in the rubber of course.

Yes, scrubbed with neat washing up liquid and fully dried. Could be a rubber content issue.

It's OK, I do have to build the 20mm as well. So I'll switch between the two; the Steyer and 20mm for the next couple of weeks.......

Simon.

• Redcoat2966 changed the title to Leichte Zugkraftwagen 3t -Sd.Kfz.11-2nd Panzer '44
17 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Quick update: I'll never use rubber bands in any kit.......nothing seems to stick to the tracks supplied by AFV......Tamiya primer just flaked off..:rant:..unless someone has some magic medium that sticks, the Zug's on hold until I get the funds to get some Friul's or injection moulded ones.......bummer....:crying:

So off to battle with the Steyer 1500........:boxing:

Yes, I'm with you on the rubber band tracks. I've had the same problem with the tracks in the Tamiya M51.

John.

yEah John, disappointed really. I would have thought that by now they would have cracked the painting issues.......I suppose really why should they. Opportunity to sell after market track kits.........🤔

I do have a set of tracks from Friul I was going to use on this Zug, but decided to use them on the "Stuka Zu Fuss" I might start in the new year........have to see what I can get as regards injection moulded.

Cheers

Simon.

I got my AA  dragon 251 that had nice workable tracks. But buying a kit just for that? You can get these complete kits quite cheap. Got mine for below 30€ on ebay and you get the complete flak with carriage as well. But of  course only one pair of tracks. Still cheaper than a set of aftermarket tracks and an addition flak kit.

5 minutes ago, Soeren said:

I got my AA  dragon 251 that had nice workable tracks. But buying a kit just for that? You can get these complete kits quite cheap. Got mine for below 30€ on ebay and you get the complete flak with carriage as well. But of  course only one pair of tracks. Still cheaper than a set of aftermarket tracks and an addition flak kit.

Actually Soeren, that's a good idea. Search for a complete kit as these after market track set's with shipping are nearly £18........😬. I'm actually going to look at the tracks in the Tamiya "Stuka Zu Fuss" and see if they lean better to painting.....I'll start looking though and see whats out there as regards a halftrack kit with better tracks.

Cheers

Simon.

• 4 weeks later...

(moved over from the wrong thread.....Sorry :S)

Evening all......how are we all on these hot sultry day's......

Finally got the Zug done. Just a little more mud work on the under chassis, but waiting for the water based products to dry before I switch to spirit based, and add the rear number plate decal. Still looking for it at present...........Well, here she is in all her glory. Just have to get on with the FLAK 38 for the back. I'll switch to that after the Wespe is done which I'll be back on next week.

Not a bad kit from AFV, apart from the minor issues with missing holes, and bad spru connection points. But nothing that couldn't be over come. I have to say also....the AFV track links I picked up off a mate.....well, not my thing I think again in the future. The plastic is so soft that when you "attempt" to click them together, as thay are supposed to be workable, they snap or distort. So I ended up having to glue them, wait for them to set and then wrap them around the running gear....not that easy.....at all.....

Anyway, here she is, until the flak is made up and painted.

See ya later.......

qHjb5on.jpgWpKiIkG.jpg9fh05uG.jpgR3jqwvY.jpg04WoBLO.jpgpX7wgCJ.jpgP3c6iNA.jpgol4qEhV.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Faced with such a display of excellence, I question whether now is the time for me to take up stamp collecting .........................

I don’t know DA, I think you’re holding your own just fine from the build threads I keep up with of yours....... Your stamp collection will have to wait😉

But thank you though. It is really appreciated. Makes even the tedious chipping phase worth while......😁

cheers...👍

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966

Well thank you for the encouragement.  It's the finishing that I find most difficult to do to my own satisfaction.  There's a reason I currently have a bunch of stuff built, primed but not further painted!  

Don’t worry DA, I have the same problem when I am about to start.......trepidation indeed.

I have to say though, there are some great vids on YT on weathering tutorials.......especially Mig and Wilder. He posted a 27 vid series on finishing a KV-1. It’s excellent as the techniques are transferable to all types. Worth a look. I’ve really brushed up on weathering from these. 

Don’t give up 😊, Dunkirk spirit ‘an all....👍

Simon

• 1 month later...

Well....while waiting for the Cromwell to arrive I cracked on with the FLAK 38 for this one.........I have to say, a tough build, and not for the faint hearted. It's a Dragon kit with the PE upgrade for the shields and the spent cartridge netting......well, I have to say, an impossibility to fully put together. I managed to wrap the circular section and cleanly put the actual catch bag....but the intermediate part connecting the two was not going to happen. I think it's great when manufacturers do attempt this type of thing. I think (it's the way I'm going to go), they should supply a piece of netting to scale (similar to camo. netting)...... and you should have a cutting template and apply....it can't be any harder than a brass option.......having actually attempted one, I guarantee easier and I think more effective....so on the hunt for a nice small scale netting.....:)

Here it is prior to primer and the sub coats of red oxide and then Dunkelgelb...

255NSpX.jpgkJJO6AF.jpgW3VQCBu.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 4

P.S........you'd think as Dragon made this PE set for their own kit, they would have all the location connection points on the PE shields to make sure of accuracy......think again, as I said....not for the faint hearted......:wall:

HI BB....I have no complaints on the thickness etc of the PE. In fact the shields are accurate as regards thickness....... But as I said, some location points would have been handy on the shield on where it attached, and also where hinges went etc. 

I managed to prime it last night....not an easy one to spray....hope to get the base colour on by weeks end...I'll post again soon.

Simon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

To be honest, I've only ever dealt with the ones in the Dragon Sherman kits. The brush guards were like foil.

John.

Yeah BB....I think it’s hit or miss sometimes. To date Aber has given me the least issues, then Voyager and Eduard a tie in second place. 

I have had issues with some PE with really micro detail in rivet heads etc. Did some research and cake across a chap who used Matt varnish. Thought I’d try it sometime.

2 hours ago, DAG058 said:

I'm liking this a lot! 

Thanks Dag.....👍

• Like 1