Leichte Zugkraftwagen 3t -Sd.Kfz.11-2nd Panzer '44

Redcoat2966

Afternoon all

Sitting here looking at the rain. My set of projects all on hold due to many supply and painting issue's (also l can't face the Sturer Emil at the moment.....:unamused:, it's gonna be a long one) 

So, I decided to have a time filler in between while waiting. Picked this up when I lived in the States in 2003. Never got round to moving further than a few parts on the chassis. I bought it to see what AFV Club was like. It's not Tamiya, but nice so far. Not a crisp detail on the small parts, and a little error ridden in the instruction sheet. But nothing that can't be over come. Doing research on the web, and not too many images for reference. I'll keep looking, as it's nice to have something to work towards.

T2cl54I.jpg

I have the AFV Club PE set for it, and at the time the Friulmodel tracks for a Hanomag 250 which this one is based on. A cheap version at wars end.

aaDqrVY.jpg

Not sure if I will use these Friuls. I might make use of the tracks that came with it and see if I can get track sag without. Have to see.

4CH24j7.jpg

Anyway, have a good afternoon all.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 3

Hi Soeren, how are you mate.

Yes, I agree.....funny looking thing. You can tell that the designer on this one was told "keep it simple".......:D As I said though, I wanted to try out AFV Club, and their build quality. So far there are some issues.......I'll post them if my camera on my mobile can do the shots. I'll post a shot and comment sat each point I stop. So far push pin marks are not just there, but proud.....cutting and sanding more than I like or am use to with Tamiya......:huh:

Just finishing a chore, but back on it in later..

Cheers mate

Simon.

Evening all

Managed to get a few hours on this little number today.

Concentrated on the chassis as it has no PE, so nothing too stressful. I have to say Tamiya does spoil you. AFV Club does some nice subjects, but they do have some odd ways of spru layout and the connection points. Don't even mention push pin marks. All over the place, and up to 5mm high. They seem to put them in the most awkward places, and lots off them

There are some particular issues

- The front steering wheeels are in two halves and are slightly off in their alignment. Much prefer single piece road wheels.

- About half the hole locator pins for various parts are too large for the hole. I had to cut them off in the end.

- In general soft details in places, and location holes not there at all.

Compared to Tamiya I’d say 8/10 with Tamiya (of the last 10 years being a 9.5). In fact AFV is more like Tamiya of the 70’s into early 80’s from my memory. On Tamiya spru's, even the smallest parts have had thought put into it's minimal connect to minimise distortion and clean up.

Take this little part for the steering connection. Remember the small bit is no more than 5mm wide.......... With a connect point of half it's width....:worry:

pi4PRif.jpg?1

Here's the chassis so far.......overall, pretty nice moulding really. But to get the front drive sprocket inline you have to sand the back of drive wheel flat and shorten the pins they go on.

0ze378O.jpg

Well chap's off to bed, early start in the morning. Have a good week.

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 3

very nice... tjhe AEC MK1 has bits like your steering rod - the minute you go near them with a knife/sprue-cutter they disintegrate... so far only 1 terminally tho.....

looking forward to more work and (eventually) painting

• Thanks 1

Hi Kris, how's things. Yes, it's a slightly different subject than normal. An example of German, this'll do at the end.....:D

On one hand I maybe can see your point. But if you want tracks to give up on are Masterclub with the resin pins. I was at my edge of despair with my Wespe set. I persevered, but it was gruelling. I believe design by Beelzebub himself.........:swear:.........in the end I replaced some pins with .4 wire that I use on Friuls.

As regards the Friuls, I don't mind the drilling of most of the track pin holes. I sit in front of the TV with my other half and take my time. I don't use the wire provided with the track set, but slightly larger as I said .4......I actually prefer the Magic Tracks by Dragon. Loved putting them on my SIG 33.......as long as you have the room to slide them in after laying them out.

I'm in many chores to get dne week, but hope to get the chassis done this one by weeks end.

Thanks again Kris

Regards

Simon.

Hi Simon, not so bad. Trying to do some modelling (in Maritime at this moment) and house refurbishment. 

I didn't make it quite clear. I like Friulmodel all together, just the tracks for this particular type for Sd.kfz 251 is not good design. You have to glue two parts together with CA. Pin passing right through between those two parts and for me they was falling apart all the time. 

Anyway for mounting the Friule tracks I started using different approach. I am mount two links together, then drill them with 0.5mm drill and insert the phone/network wire. It is perfect 0.5mm and then I do not have to glue the wire to the links. 

11 hours ago, Kris B said:

That's how they look on the model (sorry for mess) 

bT0D5d8sZ4mNrHkXRO7J42ofOU2CKoDDVIvrV0Y1

Thanks Kris, I might look into a set of those and save the Friuls for a more deserved kit. I have to be honest the more I get into this one the less I’m enamoured with AFV Club. So far not one locator pin to location hole fits. I’m now dry fitting the cab and not one piece fits without issue.......😝😖😬

11 hours ago, clive_t said:

Excellent, another quirky subject - I'm in!

Hi Clive, yes I thought the same. Just a shame on fit and detail issues, I think I’ve been spoilt by Tamiya😁

I’m going to get all the parts ready for the cab in the next stage and try and figure out the painting process.......looks like the chassis and upper hull are intergrated from the start.☹️.....have to see.

cheers all

Simon

Hi Francis, good morning.

Yeah, odd looking thing.......but quite a tough build. It's one of those kits you need to build and paint along the way. The front drive wheel set up connects onto the upper hull part, so they will have to be painted separately. The window glass has to be fitted before main cabin can go together, etc. So it's going to be tough masking the windscreen........:worry: The one thing I have noticed is on the PE set by AFV Club they give you some really nice internal cabin detail, yet the kit itself - by AFV Club - is made with fixed doors, unable to set closed or open......makes no sense...:swear:, I'm only going to use half the PE set.......:huh:

AFV Club is certainly slipping in my ratings......:rain:

What I have decided though is to add a 20mm Flak 38 to the rear......

Catch you later

• Like 1

Maybe the kits are different. My Tiger fell together. More or less. The turret halfes were a bit difficult though. I have the centurion mk5 kit as well, but didnt start that yet. But after doing a few Takom kits, they all have to compare to these. Be it in the crispness of the details or the property of the plastic.

Hi Soeren.

Maybe, maybe not as regards mould quality and fit etc. But to sell a PE set for one of your own kits and then have the kit have no ability to view it.

You’ll have to do that Centurion. Pinpoint issues like the ones I have, if it has any. 

I’ll try a Takom if you recommend that much. I’ll check out what they have that takes my fancy......🤓

Evening all.....managed some time today.

Worked on most of the upper structure - cabin and rear decking. As I intend to have a FLAK 38 on the back I haven't installed all the canvas frame. and the one side will be dropped down in a semi firing position.

iVm0cTC.jpg

Again, many ill fitting parts requiring sanding to get into place. The dashboard component was nearly 2mm wider than space allowed for it......:swear: The cross beams of the under frame of the rear deck need nearly 3mm chopping off to get the to fit also. The biggest set back is this pretty pointless PE set made by Voyager for AFV Club. All the interior cab detail you can't see when the cab is built....the doors are moulded as one piece within their frames......and the best is yet to come. The PE grill with the Voyager set is totally the wrong shape. I had to use the steel one supplied with the kit, which was not a bad fit at all really in light of the dubious tolerances of this one's molding.

So the cab interior will lave basic PE like the map caddy'd and traffic signal signs. Most what you see is the kit supplied foot peddles etc. Pretty clunky, but they'll do for how much you will see. The main cab is still separate for painting along with the rear wall for access to install the glass in the last stage.

RfbhPR1.jpg

One more shot of the front showing the wiper blades removed ready for PE one's

GgtWAKE.jpg

OK chap's, nite for now.

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 4

Hi Soeren, yes me too. But I think if I remember they were in box reviews. Or maybe they accept peculiarities more than I 😁

The issues with locator pins to location holes may seem trivial, but make a difference locating small pieces. Having to cut off nearly 3mm of a part to get it to fit is a bit annoying also 

As regards the AFV Club PE set ( by Voyager) is pretty much 50% is pointless. The interior of the cab (foot pedals, diamond plates, gear box housing) can’t be see as you can’t open the doors to see it unless you leave the roof off to view...☹️ They would have been better off providing the bracing and hinges etc for the rear deck drop down sides.

The biggest error is the front grill. Literally made for another vehicle even though this set is specifically for this AFV model...😳 I had to also in the end last night replace the engine hood latches with Griffon’s as the one's in the PE set were rudimentary to say the least.

I would certainly say, don’t bother with it. Very poor for Voyager indeed. I’ve actually made notes on the instruction sheet. So if the gang want I can give a full list at the end To watch out for 🤓

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966

It seems the more I look into this one, the more I see Aber and LionsRoar the  preference on upgrade PE.......ah well.....Maybe I'll try it again in the future, as it's a cool subject.......:huh:

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all...I've decided, maybe on a final load for the Zugkraftwagen. I'm going for an ad-hoc mobile rocket launcher. Heres a rough layout, still needs cleaning up and some research on wiring and launch equipment.....any comments welcome. Not sure yet if I'll go this route or stay with the intended Flak 38 in the back.......

rtfgihd.jpg

It'll be bolted down on some diamond plate I have on order. Cut in a rough way, field produced, and bolted to floor of the rear area.

wviVWGo.jpg

Nite all.

• Like 4

Hi Hewy, yeah; know what you mean......but there again, in desperate times. I have seen this contraption on the back of a Bussing Nag some time ago.....I'll wait to affix permanently and maybe still get FLAK 38 and try them both out, see which looks better.

Cheers

Simon.