Mil Double: 1/48 Aeroplast Mi-2 and 1/72 Zvezda Mi-8T

Bjorn

2018 started with some helicopters. First the 1/48 Aeroplast Mi-2:

25311213377_b81d78b947_c.jpg

Most is OOB - with was difficult enough. This is not a bad kit at all, but it is truly no shake-and-bake-build. Lots of dry-fitting and fettling was necessary. On the other hand, surface detailing is very good and after all, almost no filler was neccessary.

39284692295_440d3a6857_c.jpg

I used a few aftermarket decals from DF Helostuff. These were the thickest I have ever worked with, with hugely oversized decal film, almost 0,5 mm wider than the decals. To make it even more difficult, the kit stencil instructions are horrible, and the decal sheet had no indication numbers!

25311211847_a69ae2d35b_c.jpg

The curtains are made from toilet paper... :)

39471538394_73fe48c13f_c.jpg

And so the 1/72 Mi-8: Mostly OOB, apart from some re-shaping of the part above the cockpit windows, to remove the "eyebrow" feeling.

39730544931_33d54e9f04_c.jpg

The Finnish Air Force decals are from GAL Decals, and was pretty OK.

39021358374_a5eb3e154a_c.jpg

The biggest challenge was the rivets. I decided to keep them, and managed in some way to save them through the sanding. Luckily, fit was fairly good.

24861204767_0662dcba5d_c.jpg

38832158595_7f9b2472c9_c.jpg

Two pretty quick builds, finished within five weeks from the start. I was surprised about the size of the Mi-8, both are about the same size although they are in different scales.

39471571734_313c93f33f_c.jpg

Thanks for watching. And there are more Russians to come.

• Like 26

Loving these beauties!   I'm playing a game called heliborne at the moment via steam, flying these birds, which is wanting me to model them too!  The Mi-8 is awesome!

• Like 1

Hi Bjorn,

I like your Mils! I don't see any thick decals on the Mi-2 in the final result.

I also have some decal sheets made by DF HeloStuff and keep in mind that they have (unlike large scale production decals) a continuous carrier film which covers the whole sheet. As mentioned in the handling instructions, every decal item has to be cut out individually 2-3 mm around the edge of each symbol.

Edited by troschi
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, troschi said:

I also have some decal sheets made by DF HeloStuff and keep in mind that they have (unlike large scale production decals) a continuous carrier film which covers the whole sheet. As mentioned in the handling instructions, every decal item has to be cut out individually 2-3 mm around the edge of each symbol.

Yes, but this was something between a continuous film and "normal" carrier film. But this was not the main issue (I did cut them out), the thickness was the main problem. As I wrote, I have never ever worked with such thick decals.