Spitfire 1b - KP 1/72 and PixScan tests

CedB

Looks nice Ced. Are these the old WEM colours?  Like that black, which looks a bit like the Revell Teerschwarz ( tar black), which reflects nicely a bit reddish in the sun. By the way, did you have involved Christo for the maskings?

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Enamels (especially good ones) are just so much more user friendly, it always makes me wonder why I persist with fighting with acrylics Ced. Must be because I'm tight, er careful, too, & just can't bring myself to throw the things out....!! 

Anyways, your Spitfires undersides are looking rather splendid!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Fantastic stuff Ced. Colourcoats will spoil you alright, enamels do spray better than water based acrylics, and Colourcoats are the best spraying enamels I've tried. I try to do only every other build in Colourcoats, just so I don't get used to it, and still fight with acrylics on the others - just to stay sharp :smirk:.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks Benedikt - er, maybe the old WEM stuff? Jamie / Stew will know for sure :)

Thanks Keith :) Having migrated from hairy brushed enamels through airbrushing acrylics I'm confused too... and I have a LOT of paint too!

Thanks Cookie - I'm not sure why we're 'fighting' with acrylics... is it the smell? The Colourcoats don't smell much :shrug:

Thanks John, I am chuffed with it :)

Hi Jackson - One of the best things about BM is people sharing their problems. it's taught me all I know :)

No more teasing - masking off:

40301779811_bd9e5c5f8a_z.jpg

I found those roundel masks in the stash while looking at roundel sizes. Perhaps I should use them? They look like Ultra Mask...

Scary :shutup:

• Like 15

8 hours ago, CedB said:

They look like Ultra Mask...

Pardon my ignorance on the matter Ced but what's the source of trepidation with these? Paint-pullers or summat similar I'm guessing?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm not sure why we're 'fighting' with acrylics... is it the smell? The Colourcoats don't smell much

In my case I've no real idea, having a dedicated modelling room with a spray booth and a twin filter respirator it can't be the smell! I think i started to use acrylics because they're easier to clean up, but that's just being lazy. And I have bought dozens of the things....

Once again Ced - splendid Spitfire undersides!

K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony - no trepidation, sorry. I had planned to cut new roundels using Ultra Mask and the cutter but these Pmasks are just asking to be used up. :)

Thanks Keith - I feel your pain... I have lots of acrylics; Humbrol, Vallejo Model Air, Lifecolor, Tamiya, Hataka and Mr Hobby all trying to get the kind of results I'm getting easily with Colourcoats. Ho hum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello, I tried acrylics several times in the past and they literally pained me to brush them. That was the time, when I started to think about my first airbrush. I built ships (1:600 or roundabout) then and they riffled almost everytime after a second coat;  mainly on bigger parts. Tamiya and Mr. Hobby were the only game in town and I found  them also very smelly. Just like a disinfection agent in a hospital. So I put them back where I kept them and they stay there since then. I don't bother about them anymore. Enamels don't smell  that way. It's more or less the type of thinner you use. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Looking good Ced, a real nice finish.

As for paints, I use acrylics mainly for the fact that the hobby room is the front room/living room.

Smell is a factor, so I have to limit my spraying , especially primers/lacquers etc until she is busy else where.

It`s not the type of thing to be in the same room as the spraying if I want to keep my "Bits" intact. LOL

I am lucky that the good lady does the hobby to, otherwise things could be a lot harder.

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

That last shot of the underside shows the subtle tonal variation on the Sky surfaces very well, Ced :clap:

As for paints, I just love acrylics! :coolio: (but then I 'm admittedly lazy... :D )

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I also use acrylics because of the ' smell factor ' when I do my modelling in the winter months in the kitchen, but I much prefer to spray enamels.

That's a splendid demarcation line between the underside colours Ced, looking forward to the roundels, especially on the black.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Thanks Benedikt, Simon, Giorgio and John - I'm finding the Colourcoats easier than most acrylics I've used, except perhaps Lifecolor. In terms of the amount of pigment laid down and the consistency of the paints they're easier and certainly don't clog the airbrush (0.2) nozzle anywhere near as much.

As for the smell, the paint and thinners don't smell as much, to my nose, as Tamiya and Mr Hobby aqueous and I'm using low odour white spirit for cleaning. Not bad at all.

Finally, with Jamie's 50/50 thinning and up-close-low-pressure methods they're drying quickly too.

Masked up for top coat, including PC's 3M tape for the Sky band:

38508611450_52cf218c50_z.jpg

Dark Earth on:

38508971040_d3a1a1e77f_z.jpg

• Like 13

Just to echo what Ced says, I know we sound like Jamie's fanboys but the Colourcoats smell less than the lacquer based acrylics (and not just to my nose, Mrs 06/24 and Minor both object less) and they spray and dry brilliantly.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Just to echo what Ced says, I know we sound like Jamie's fanboys but the Colourcoats smell less than the lacquer based acrylics (and not just to my nose, Mrs 06/24 and Minor both object less) and they spray and dry brilliantly.

Funny though - my missus never notices the smell of Tamiya or Gunze paints, but if I've forgotten to close the model room door & start spraying my old WEM enamels she's barking at me like a bloodhound!! Wonder if Jamie has changed the fragrance since he's taken over the range then....?! :lol:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If we are debating the effects of spraying Colourcoats on espoused persons my wife was in and out of the garage whilst I sprayed the dark green on the Spitfire

I was using low odour artists thinners and I dont think she even noticed it

One side effect of this may have been the earth tremor we had in the Midlands today, seismic shifts have occurred

I do wish I had some of the Dark Earth, Jamie - order incoming this week  :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Funny though - my missus never notices the smell of Tamiya or Gunze paints, but if I've forgotten to close the model room door & start spraying my old WEM enamels she's barking at me like a bloodhound!! Wonder if Jamie has changed the fragrance since he's taken over the range then....?! :lol:

Keith

Hi Keith, the paint is just the same. When spraying paints the thinners used tends to dominate the 'aroma'.

The biggest change we made there was to make a bespoke thinner for it. WEM just recommended white spirits which have a fairly strong smell and our American friends went immediately to cellulose thinners (or "lacquer thinners" as they're called there) which really stink.

• Like 5

Thanks Jon - the only smelly thing I have at the moment is the AK white spirit I'm using for cleaning - soon to be replaced by low odour stuff. I would chuck it out but where can I put it where it won't smell? Ah, the wine bottle where I empty the brush cleaning pot; done!

Thanks Roger - more this morning, see below :)

Thanks Rob, very kind as usual :)

Thanks Keith - strange what 'hits your nose' isn't it? I can't stand nail varnish, instant headache. Must stop using it :D

Thanks Johnny, kind of you :)

Thanks Bill - I'm with you, Colourcoats thinners and low odour white spirit for cleaning - sorted! :)

Thanks Teuchter - no quake here, I haven't felt the earth move for ages :wicked:

Thanks Jamie - I'm sold, as I hope you know! :D

Let's try the cutter-cut Ultra Mask templates (gulp):

25463011307_37d317b37b_z.jpg

With a bit of burnishing it settles really well into the panel lines and, even though it's low tack, stays down on the flat bits and goes over the bumps very nicely:

40289504172_0dff5e4443_z.jpg

I had the usual problems with the small bit on the nose (hard to get it to stick) and the long bit that goes from the port wing root over the nose but that's as much the template as the mask. It did its job though.

On with the DG, trying to spray at 90o to the mask to avoid build up:

39437432405_6c06a6188b_z.jpg

Done.

No, I can't wait either:

39623927284_99d569c24c_z.jpg

Peels off without much effort and no paint was harmed. It's thin film so the build up on the edge is minimal or non-existent. Here's the worst bit:

40289842452_877dca7019_z.jpg

A few touch ups required:

25463374647_280738e64e_z.jpg

I always seem to have problems masking that bit. Some seepage on the Sky band - not the Ultra Mask, my problem not burnishing the 3M tape:

26463433198_aeac42b9d8_n.jpg 39623978664_790b3948ff_n.jpg

Very happy with that experiment, method to be adopted in the future! :D

• Like 13