Spitfire 1b - KP 1/72 and PixScan tests

CedB

You're definitely being too hard to yourself, Ced :) You'll bring this home as usual ( I translated an Italian expression there, not sure if you actually say it that way ... :hmmm: )

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Cookie - I'll have a think about the canopy templates, although of course they may be kit specific. I wonder how they differ? :hmmm:

Thanks Giorgio - very kind, as always, and I think they're 'home' now :)

Thanks Tony - I was going to make a silly joke about having to stop flagellating myself but then thought better of it; no point in beating myself up :D

Go on, tell us the 'boiled kettle flex' story!

File, fit, file, fit... would have been quicker to paint some Eduard half wheels in the end. Educational this site eh? Certainly taught me a lesson :D

38468729260_1daed35cf9_z.jpg

In better news the fuselage seams have vanished nicely after a scrape and sand off.

Fit the wings. I know Cookie and Stew both had problem so I was very wary. I decided to try Stew's 'stick the back first' and found it was 'springy' because it was fouling on the bottom of the internals, so they got attacked with a dental burr in the Dremel:

25407940667_fa7578f0d7_z.jpg

Dust in the canopy? That'll never happen (gulp).

That done I spent a happy few minutes playing 'how do you keep an idiot busy all day' trying to line up the front. Then the back. Then the front.

Turns out the front has sloping edges:

40278756401_87e8755092_z.jpg

so, if you clamp it, even lightly, it slips backwards. There was also a tiny bit of flash inside 'the overhang' that was messing up the fit - trimmed off.

Now glued at the back a la Stew and drying before the front gets stuck:

40234348392_1e87bbf094_z.jpg

• Like 10

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Ced :) You'll bring this home as usual ( I translated an Italian expression there, not sure if you actually say it that way ... :hmmm: )

Giorgio, you could say that also in German: "Ced, das schaukelst Du schon nach Hause." so what's the italian phrase for that?

Ced I have no doubt about that with this minor problem/issue. Cheers

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Giorgio, you could say that also in German: "Ced, das schaukelst Du schon nach Hause." so what's the italian phrase for that?

It's "Ced, lo porti a casa anche stavolta" :D 

Keep on keeping on, Ced :clap:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Danke Benedikt, sehr nett :)

Grazie Giorgio, molto gentile :)

Cheers spaddad, I think :shrug:

There's a tiny bit of flash on the inside of the other front of the fairing too:

39569757734_676888846e_z.jpg

Once that was trimmed off the lower wing and nose could be glued on:

25409875067_cbc3afc932_z.jpg

... and then the upper wings:

40282130821_ff224c9f3a_z.jpg

Just the intake to stick on now, a bit of filler and then primer.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

What is it with Spitfires and their wing fit, designed to drive you insane?

Nice work Ced, looking great .

Medium Sea Grey for the codes..with a tinge of yellow during Feb/March...

Apparently a Memo from Headquarters recommended it so that they would blend in with the Daffodils growing around the  Station Commanders out-house.

Simon.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Thanks Stuart - it's a nice kit and, mostly, fits well (except the wheels up!)

Thanks a bundle John (while we're using silly expressions!) :D

Thanks Benedikt - always good to try new languages :)

Thanks Giorgio - with a bit of care the fit is good (see below)

Thanks Cookie. Something was pushing the canopy up too - the fit of the internals is a bit hit and miss eh?

Thanks Simon - always nice to see the Dafs isn't it. The start of spring. Can't wait!

Thanks Johnny, glad you like it.

Tiny bit of Vallejo filler in the gaps:

39575827714_74abe74b75_z.jpg

None required at the back of the wing join thanks to Stew's method:

25415875827_63fd2d63dd_z.jpg

Tiny bit in the back of the fairing:

40287137261_ac0a570724_z.jpg

Now primed:

39576272904_1810fcc281_z.jpg

Colourcoats tomorrow - woo hoo!

• Like 11

Thanks Ian - it's a weird shape there and I couldn't get a good grip (fnaar!) but a bit of filler has hidden the small gap. I hope you're getting ready for the heat! :)

Thanks Stew - your method certainly worked for me, thanks :)

A bit of belated research this morning (too focussed on the tools!).

From  allspitfirepilots.org (is that site new?):

FF 25-8-40 6MU 9-9-40 cannon wing fitt 92S 'QJ-D' 7OTU R-RH Cv Vb M45 92S 21-3-41 222S 'ZD-D' Brakes failed taxying hit wall Ayr 19-10-42 [VASM 14-7-43 fuel syst mods wing stiff bomb carrier]

... and a link to this:

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, 1939-1945: SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE.. © IWM (CH 2536) IWM Non Commercial License

Spitfire Mark IBs, R6908 QJ-F and X4272 QJ-D, of No. 92 Squadron RAF, accompanied by Mark IA, X4561 QJ-B, taking off from Manston, Kent.

I also found the Stew build I was looking for here 'hidden' in the Edgar Brooks memorial GB (sadly missed, Edgar).

Some interesting posts there about the history of the 1B (or not) - the 'B' may have been allocated after the event, apparently.

Stew remembered to paint the insides aluminium, which I was intending to do after fitting the internals as the instructions say 'all IG' and I couldn't remember where the IG stopped. Yes, behind the seat and IP, I remember now I'm looking at Stew's pictures. Senior moment. Bet you noticed :)

Discussions on the shape of the prop - hmmm - think I'll use the kit one for this 'template test' (remember?)

Sky (not forgetting the spinner and Sky band) and then black on the undersides - good idea.

Kit transfers out of register? Mine look OK actually but I'm still planning to mask and spray the roundels and idents :mental:

(Must plan my yellow spraying carefully and remember the prop tips)

Right, prepare for 'Sky' spraying once the compressor noise won't wake up the neighbours. I must do a test one day to see if they can hear the noise through the walls - if not, early spray sessions will be approved!

• Like 7

Have I told you how much I'm liking Colourcoats? Oh, I have?

How about Jamie's 'up close, low pressure' spraying technique? That too eh...

Well, not to go on about it, it's a pleasure to sit down and get such great (IMHO) results:

26423554958_2ee3f852e0_z.jpg

Hard to see the subtle variations, but isn't that the point? How about this shot?

39398588735_d03261746b_z.jpg

I am a very happy bunny.

The only thing I have to watch out for is that I get a complete coverage somewhere so that I know what colour I'm trying to, er, vary if you get my drift.

Oh, and occasionally (very occasionally) move away from the model and blast out the nozzle. Only needed twice during that session.

Love it.

• Like 13

Subtle variations indeed, just visible on the wing close up. The Sky does have a yellowish tint on my monitor but it's probably something to do with the lighting as my pot of Colourcoats Sky looks OK to me.

Looking forward to the Night/Secial Night/Black.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks John - yep, either my light, your screen, my camera... who knows? It looks perfect Sky to my eye :)

Thanks Bob, glad to hear I'm not the only one! :)

Thanks Giorgio - getting there, with your help :)

I've saved the mask sheet from last time, although I have loads left. Call me tight careful.

Demarcation masked with usual tape and then the sheet folded around (and around, and around):

39588276394_d691075b5e_z.jpg

Overspray? No way! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

On with the Bomber Black, still wet in this shot:

40255057172_b63fa995b0_z.jpg

Can't wait for the mask to come off. Patience...

• Like 13