P-39 Q "Aircobra" - Hobby Boss 1:72 RFI

CedB

I decided I needed a quick, easy build and chose the Hobby Boss 'Easy Assembly' P-39 Airacobra, a subject I've always liked the look of.

Easy Assembly kits are designed for wheels down and I usually do wheels up.

A chance to try the cheap 3D printers that have recently become available? Not to be missed. Not a happy experience but documented in the WiP.

At least I can do an easy RFI...

39471864414_17f438b006_z.jpg

39471864564_60f8ab9f00_z.jpg

39471864234_93a1d4b822_z.jpg

40150562722_53a6c0f8b3_z.jpg

Stynylrez white primer, Vallejo Model Air White, medium yellow and US Dark Green for the Olive Drab (don't start!) and Tamiya for the Neutral Grey, all acrylics airbrushed.

Nice kit (if you want the wheels down).

• Like 35

Great job Ced, the WIP was a joy to read, and as many others said,  deserving a few plaudits for the stab at 3d printing!

Looking forward to dodging the paint spray ( err .... ) from the airbrush on the spit.

• Thanks 1

Good result even if the experience was an unhappy one. Can't help thinking that one day - buying a kit will become downloading something from internet and using your personal 3D printer to produce the parts. Although I suppose if the manu got the design wrong, you could go on your computer and correct the errors before printing it off :nerd:

Edited by Knight_Flyer
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Beard said:

That looks most excellent Ced.

The P-39 is certainly an interesting-looking aircraft, I'm almost tempted to dig my RSModels Aircobra I out of the stash.

Thanks Simon - go on, I think you'll enjoy it, apart from the canopy! :)

10 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Great job mate - I like it!

Iain

Thanks Iain :)

10 hours ago, Whofan said:

Great job Ced, the WIP was a joy to read, and as many others said,  deserving a few plaudits for the stab at 3d printing!

Looking forward to dodging the paint spray ( err .... ) from the airbrush on the spit.

Thanks John, good to have you along :)

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Yet another fine build sir.

A question for you though.

What happens once the ceiling is full?

Still, I am off to book a seat for the next "Ced Production"

Simon.

Thanks Simon - see you at the Spitfire / PixScan :)

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Totally enjoyable ride through the WIP (as always, with the added bonus of 3d printing perusals), resulted in a sweet looking aircraft. Excellent! :clap::clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, especially for your help :)

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

A striking scheme Ced, and a wonderful WIP too. Can't wait for what's next!

Thanks Cookie :) I see you've found the PixScan thread, fingers crossed it'll be useful.

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

She looks great Ced, well done on a quick build and a great over view of how 3D printing might not be ready for modellers... yet :) 

Rob

Thanks Rob :) I think 3D printing is there, per se, it's just the cheaper printers that need some more development IMHO

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful P-39 👍 I enjoyed the build as well.

Thanks Dennis, glad you enjoyed it :)

4 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Very nice work Ced.

My goodness, and an attempted 3D printer-enhanced result.

This is way beyond me.

Michael

Thanks Michael - it'll get easier in the future I'm sure :)

4 hours ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Good result even if the experience was an unhappy one. Can't help thinking that one day - buying a kit will become downloading something from internet and using your personal 3D printer to produce the parts. Although I suppose if the manu got the design wrong, you could go on your computer and correct the errors before printing it off :nerd:

Thanks knight_Flyer - I'm sure it won't be long... there are already RC kits for download, not my scale sadly!

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm liking what I see here Ced, one of these looks like a good idea after seeing your nice work on this. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, it's a nice subject :)

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A praiseworthy rendition Ced (Cedition?).

Handsomely coloured. :clap:

Thanks Tony - I do like the scheme, something a bit different :)

• Like 5

A really nice looking kit, Ced, but you have erred on the wing guns. The P-39 had either the four in-wing mounted .30 mg's or the two .50 mg. pods mounted under the wings. Not both at the same time. I know the HobbyBoss instructions do not mention this as an option.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Nice P-39.  I have been meaning to give these Hobby Boss easy build kits a try, I might have a go at some as "trainers" when I get the airbrush I've promised myself this year.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great job Ced  excellent stress reliever;s these HB easy kit's.

Thanks Steve :) Agreed - I bought four of them for just that purpose... and then used some new, complicated toys tools for the build. Some people never learn!

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Excellent finish dear boy. I’m loving that white tail.

Great WIP too. Now where’s the next one? :penguin:

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, very kind :)

What's next? I'm going to do a KP Spitfire 1b mostly to try out the Portrait cutter with camo templates, roundels and codes. Oh, and airbrushing Colourcoats.

It's a mystery (or is it?) why I'm complicating my last two builds trying out new things, but this will be then end of my trials (in both senses of the word) for a while (or will it?*)

* All credit to Stewart Francis - master one liner, I love him! Check out this video

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

A really nice looking kit, Ced, but you have erred on the wing guns. The P-39 had either the four in-wing mounted .30 mg's or the two .50 mg. pods mounted under the wings. Not both at the same time. I know the HobbyBoss instructions do not mention this as an option.

Chris

Thanks Chris :) Jason (Learstang) also pointed that out near the end of the WiP and my somewhat pathetic response is here. As you say, the instructions show both fitted and the kit has the .30s already moulded in the wings. It also comes with an extra set of .30s, presumably just in case one can't make one's mind up either :shrug:

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

Nice P-39.  I have been meaning to give these Hobby Boss easy build kits a try, I might have a go at some as "trainers" when I get the airbrush I've promised myself this year.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew :) Good idea! In the past I've bought some cheap(est) kits as 'paint mules' but these are nicely detailed so, if your training goes well, you can keep it!

• Like 2