Welsh Models' Boeing P-8A Poseidon 1/72

hsr

This is my rendition of the Welsh Models' Boeing P-8A Poseidon. I always thought of the 737, which the Poseidon is based on, as a small airliner, but this thing is huge. Because it is so large they made the fuselage vacu-form while the rest of is is resin. Even so it is still pretty heavy.  With the exception of the landing gear all the resin was excellent with nice detail. It was a lot of work with a lot of sanding, but I think it came out pretty well.

A few notes. They give you 3 options for the cockpit. There is a vacu-formed  transparency that contains all the window and the fuselage has indentation for where the can go that you can open up. They also give you a decal for the windows. You can either cut out the individual windows and place them in the openings, You can cut the large transparency in half and glue each half to each fuselage half. Or you can fill in the openings and use the decal. They actually include a decent interior, so I chose the second of these and glued the transparency halves into the fuselage halves and detailed the interior. Unfortunately even though I carefully glued the halves in, after closing up the fuselage one side of windows popped out, or I should say in and disappeared somewhere in the interior. After I did a lot of soul searching and looking at what you could actually see of the interior I decided to close up the opening and use the decal. The only other issue was the main gear. I seem to recall reading a review that said the gear was white medal, but in my kit they were resin and crudely cast at that. And they are just not up the the task of supporting the weight. I should have replaced the main strut with brass rod, but instead I spent a lot of time repairing them. At some point they will probably collapse and then I will replace them.

The decals are printed in Australia and they are excellent. Very thin but strong enough not to tear easily. They did have a tendency to wrinkle and fold, but were easily straightened and snuggled down and the film disappeared with only minimal solvent.

But enough of me and on to the pictures.

PYS6hs37_o.jpg

wotnv222_o.jpg

y8wiwafY_o.jpg

blopuX5f_o.jpg

q2IlX3mn_o.jpg

GzUG1zwh_o.jpg

Next up is a Skunkmodels' RQ-9 Reaper. Enjoy

• Like 70
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Irish 251 said:

the P-8 does not have the eyebrow cockpit windows

Arg! I can't tell you how many pictures I looked at and didn't notice that. It was in the mold and the decals, so I just assumed it was right. Too late to do anything about it now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

I was looking at one of these the other day. I don't think I'm ready for such a massive job. 

It's a lot of work but no real show stopper. The biggest problem is the physical size which makes it awkward to handle and move around. If I can do it, anyone can.

9 hours ago, hsr said:

So I wasn't imagining the metal gear. Was it strong enough or did it bend under the weight?

I have finished a Welsh BBJ recently.

24305574388_b2be8c0600_o.jpg

And there have been no issues with the gear bending. And I can tell you there is a fair bit of nose weight to counter the weight of the resin tail parts.

• Like 3

That white metal looked nice a beefy. I used white metal gear on my RB-57F recently and it was thin and bent, but at least it was easy to straighten without breaking.

• Like 1

The kit came with the 4 weapons pylons but weapons. My research indicated that Harpoons for long range and Mavericks for short range were popular loads. I have the Hasegawa weapons set 5. It has 3 Harpoons but no Mavericks. I used the 2 Harpoons you see and ordered set 4 which has some Mavericks. They will get added when they arrive. It has an internal weapons bay and I think most ordnance is carried there, but I thing the more stuff you have hanging from the wings the better it looks.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice model! I have the kit in my stash, waiting for the Poseidon to appear in Norwegian markings. But that will not happen for about four years, so the kit will mature until then.

I will do some effort on see-through cockpit windows. I think a model in this scale deserves that.

Nils

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vingtor said:

I will do some effort on see-through cockpit windows. I think a model in this scale deserves that.

I agree and the decal windows are a disappointment. Good luck.

hsr,

that is a very PRISTINE, STUNNING model.:yikes::clap2:

your Poseidon is EXQUISITE looking in MY eyes..

need some glamor shots in the sun when it's sunnier  :penguin:... it looks NOICE.  OUTSTANDING BUILD once mire and thank you for the write up too.

BRAVO.:worthy:

• Thanks 1