Paint storage rack

Mark4700

I’ve built this over the last couple of days. It has storage for 150 Vallejo paints as well as some other odds and ends. The shelves are angled back so help the paints remain in place.

I’m thinking of making a few of them to sell, so have a look and give me your feedback. 

40140243332_5875e2798a_b.jpg40173141991_289e31078d_b.jpg39274546885_f6c657b9e5_b.jpg

And this is what it looks like with my paints in place. 

25301395727_0e341aeff8_b.jpg40140232392_fc4ea4b549_b.jpg28392755749_7fc63941f6_b.jpg

Manynthanks for looking. 

Mark

• Like 13

It'a nice idea, but some indication of price might help others decide.  Most of my paints are in Humbrol-size tins, and I don't have a spare wall, so I'm not likely to be a customer, sorry.  (Spare wall?  Who every heard of such a thing?  Where are all the references and the stash kept?)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

It'a nice idea, but some indication of price might help others decide.

Price wise, taking into account other products on the market, the cost of the materials, postage and my time and effort I was thinking around the £175 area. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

Nice rack, but I’m not too sure about the angled shelves. Unless you live in an area prone to earthquakes I’m not seeing the reasoning behind it?

Price wise, I think you may need to look into that. There’s an awful lot of laser cut racks available for a lot less (admittedly unfinished and unassembled).

How about selling it as an unfinished DIY kit?

Mart

• Like 3

I like it - I like it a lot - but Mrs X would shoot me if I put that up on the wall - so here is my compromise...

For small 'sets' of paints / washes / filters etc - I use these...

IMG_0873.jpg

...when not in use they sit neatly in what used to be the CD storage shelves....

IMG_0874.jpg

For the Vallejo Model Air I use these - 11 per tier - 33 in total per unit...

IMG_0875.jpg

They also come in handy for - toothpicks / sponge wipes / tooth flossers for the airbrush / cotton buds etc...  These live in ASDA plastic shot glasses - 50 for a quid...

IMG_0876.jpg

The smaller racks were 6 quid and the longer ones still less than a tenner - easy to move around the bench too when having a 'tidy'. ;)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I like it - I like it a lot - but Mrs X would shoot me if I put that up on the wall - so here is my compromise...

For small 'sets' of paints / washes / filters etc - I use these...

...when not in use they sit neatly in what used to be the CD storage shelves....

For the Vallejo Model Air I use these - 11 per tier - 33 in total per unit...

They also come in handy for - toothpicks / sponge wipes / tooth flossers for the airbrush / cotton buds etc...  These live in ASDA plastic shot glasses - 50 for a quid...

The smaller racks were 6 quid and the longer ones still less than a tenner - easy to move around the bench too when having a 'tidy'. ;)

I must admit that they are a neat solution to age old storage problem. Can I ask where you bought them?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cngaero said:

I must admit that they are a neat solution to age old storage problem. Can I ask where you bought them?

I'm glad you asked me that - as they say...

It struck me one day, whilst I was doing some research before I bought my first airbrush....  I kept being directed to make up and nail art sites...  The similarities between model painting and nail painting are undeniable.  Also the application of make up can be very similar to what we try to do when shading and weathering.  So I started to look at the tools and storage solutions that they use.  I now have an electric nail varnish shaker - for my paints / make up sponges and even some weathering kits from Tamiya that look EXACTLY like eye shadow sets.

These very neat nail varnish / make up holders came from AMAZON - I HATE to say that - as they are messing me round terribly at the moment with an order that has been in cyberspace for over a month now - but I don't mind pointing a fellow Britmodeller in the right direction. HTH :D

...larger ones are available too - 5 tier...

307CM5TiersAcrylicNailPolishDisplayStand

...and if you are looking for wall solutions - the world's your oyster - just search for nail varnish holders - not model paint holders - simples...

s-l640.jpg 

some may be a bit more flouncy than others though...

61BRUdXFr2L.jpg?resize=502,400&ssl=1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I'm glad you asked me that - as they say...

It struck me one day, whilst I was doing some research before I bought my first airbrush....  I kept being directed to make up and nail art sites...  The similarities between model painting and nail painting are undeniable.  Also the application of make up can be very similar to what we try to do when shading and weathering.  So I started to look at the tools and storage solutions that they use.  I now have an electric nail varnish shaker - for my paints / make up sponges and even some weathering kits from Tamiya that look EXACTLY like eye shadow sets.

These very neat nail varnish / make up holders came from AMAZON - I HATE to say that - as they are messing me round terribly at the moment with an order that has been in cyberspace for over a month now - but I don't mind pointing a fellow Britmodeller in the right direction. HTH :D

That's great, many thanks.

By the way, your secret's safe with me :D.

• Haha 4

I think the price is too high to be honest to make it a viable project. I'm not sure many would pay  £175 for a paint rack, maybe not even £75? I understand the thought and effort that you've put into it, however I feel that most people would look at a lower cost alternative, of which there are many, such as the plastic racks posted above. That's the problem. You come up with something nice, but there's always someone, somewhere, doing it lots cheaper. So much so that it makes the custom built stuff seem very expensive. Just my thoughts, and please dont take it personally, because your paint rack is actually quite good..!!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

Nice rack, but I’m not too sure about the angled shelves. Unless you live in an area prone to earthquakes I’m not seeing the reasoning behind it?

Price wise, I think you may need to look into that. There’s an awful lot of laser cut racks available for a lot less (admittedly unfinished and unassembled).

How about selling it as an unfinished DIY kit?

Mart

The angle of the shelves make it almost impossible to knock an adjacent paint off accidentally when selecting a given colour. The angle is a trade secret and was worked out be calculating the mass of the bottle when full, 2/3 full and 1/3 full at an average, divided by the height of the bottle then added to the diameter of the base. This figure was then multiplied by degrees of lean until the figure met the equivelent of the equilibrium of tilt angle to the negative of point 01135. 

Hope I’ve not given the secret away with this formula. :smartass:

• Haha 5

And I thought it was done by using the ancient craft-secret of "That looks about right".....

But got to agree with using nail varnish racks. My ex-swmbo bought a wall mounted one back from the salon she used one day when they were having a refurb. "Thought you might find this useful for those paints of yours". 

• Like 1