Hawker Hurricane Mk1, 43 (F) Squadron 1940

The Italeri 1/48 Hurricane Mk1 has been the subject of much discussion on the various forums, this one included, so I am aware of the various issues with this kit, this didn't however, prevent me from enjoying completing this replica of the famous Battle of Britain fighter.

25296942327_6c67f853d6_c.jpg

Finished in the colours of No 43 (Fighter) Squadron, RAF, (undoubtedly the finest Fighter Squadron that has ever, or shall ever, exist in any Air Force in the world  ^_^) the brutish lines of Sir Sidney's gun truck are captured well. 

39270122575_07e40e0daa_c.jpg

P3386 was the first Rotol Spinner equipped Mk1 delivered to the Squadron, and was, by all accounts, a particularly successful Machine, being credited with the destruction of several enemy aircraft.

25296941037_02962fab3a_c.jpg

No problems were encountered during the build, I was particularily impressed with the clear sprue which were very thin and distortion free.  Decals are a mix of kit and spares box.

39270129475_a1fe36c98a_c.jpg

Finished in Humbrol Duck Egg Blue, Tamiya RAF Dk Green and Mr Color Dark Earth, with a Flory wash to finish.

39270129075_7767ef8a41_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 48

T,

Beautiful Hurri! I do like the restrained chipping/weathering on this one- well done! Just a suggestion to take this outstanding build up a notch- you might want to smoke up the gun ports a little to match the case ejection chutes; or did the erks wipe the gun ports down in anticipation of putting new fabric patches on? (Just kidding- I might be tempted to change the scheme I was planning for my 1/72 kit, now that I've seen this one!)

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...
12 hours ago, Reed0427 said:

Where did you get the lettering?

Hi There!

The Squadron Medium Sea Grey code letters are from  Xtradecal sheet 48002 (Available from Hannants  amongst others)   

Black Aircraft Registration letters were from another Xtradecal sheet, 48044, but these aren't available from Hannants at the moment:

Medium Sea Grey Code Letters 

Black Aircraft Registration Characters