How to remove decals?

Neil.C

If you have varnished over them, the only option is to remove everything paint and all.

Otherwise, sellotape is a method I’ve heard about but not actually used. I’d try it on a small marking first to see if it works without damaging the paint. Some acrylics are a bit delicate - Vallejo for example and you may end up removing the underlying paint too.

If successful, you may need to clean the surface to remove any residual tackiness from the tape.

Just a thought - maybe Tamiya tape could work too?

Trevor

• Like 1

Mr Muscle oven cleaner takes off paint & decals, may need more than 1 application for stubborn paintwork or decals. I spray the subject then place it in an appropriately sized freezer bag, lob a bit more spray in & seal & leave it to do its magic. Time of soak is dependant on paint type & thickness of application & origin of decals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

If you have varnished over them, the only option is to remove everything paint and all.

Otherwise, sellotape is a method I’ve heard about but not actually used. I’d try it on a small marking first to see if it works without damaging the paint. Some acrylics are a bit delicate - Vallejo for example and you may end up removing the underlying paint too.

If successful, you may need to clean the surface to remove any residual tackiness from the tape.

Just a thought - maybe Tamiya tape could work too?

Trevor

I may give the sellotape idea a go Trevor as the model is not varnished over.

It won't matter if the underlying paint gets dragged off a bit as I mean to repaint anyway. May use it as a test bed for invasion stripes.

I made the beginners mistake of trying to affix decals on a matt finish without  micro-sol or similar so they are just not positioned right although TBH it's only a Novo and I'd have to by some more decals so may be cheaper in the long run and easier to buy a better kit. :mellow:

3 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I may give the sellotape idea a go Trevor as the model is not varnished over.

It won't matter if the underlying paint gets dragged off a bit as I mean to repaint anyway. May use it as a test bed for invasion stripes.

I made the beginners mistake of trying to affix decals on a matt finish without  micro-sol or similar so they are just not positioned right although TBH it's only a Novo and I'd have to by some more decals so may be cheaper in the long run and easier to buy a better kit. :mellow:

micro set & sol do not overcome the problem of silvering. Silvering is an inevitable consequence of decalling onto matt  paints, you need a gloss surface. Micro set & sol help decals to settle down onto the surface of a model, conforming to recessed & raised details

• Like 1