Mil Mi 1 Hare - Tintin and the Picaros

In the discussion on Mike's Khemadi Mosquito build, I mentioned a Mil Mi 1 Hare I built for a club display. It's from Tintin and the Picaros, the last completed Tintin story.

It belongs to the San Theodoran government which is searching for Tintin and his friends. It's kit by Gran which I think is Ukrainian. I picked it up as it was cheap and available quickly. Looking at other built models, the Amodel kit might be a better choice. The only real mods I made was to replace the undercarriage legs with brass.

The decals are from Blue Rider.

DSC_0748.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0752.jpg

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
Postimage issues
  • Like 25

That looks really good Michael, I'm particularly impressed with how well you got the clear parts to fit.

Incidentally, have you seen A Scale Modeller's Guide to Aircraft from the Adventures of Tintin? There are several aircraft schemes I'd not seen before from serialised Tintin stories, as well as some unique aircraft from Hergé's Adventures of Jo, Zette and Jocko.

• Like 2

That looks really smart Michael, I've the Amodel one squirreled away to do this too. From memory, one of the Blue Rider sheets has the decals for a Hawker something on it, (I thought it was a Hart type thing)

Steve.

2 hours ago, Strangeways said:

That looks really good Michael, I'm particularly impressed with how well you got the clear parts to fit.

Incidentally, have you seen A Scale Modeller's Guide to Aircraft from the Adventures of Tintin? There are several aircraft schemes I'd not seen before from serialised Tintin stories, as well as some unique aircraft from Hergé's Adventures of Jo, Zette and Jocko.

Thanks for the comments guys! Yes I've got the guide which is also produced by Blue Rider. At the time I bought the decal sheets from Blue Rider on ebay I didn't realise he had a package deal with the book and I'd already bought the book separately on Book Depository. There are a lot of nice schemes to do and I still plan to do a few more.

Regarding the kit, the whole front fuselage with all the windows are moulded as clear parts. This means very neat window framing but the fit of the front cockpit to the rear fuselage is a bit wide and needed blending in. This is where the Amodel kit might be better. The other thing to note is that painting the rear bands is much more satisfactory solution than the decals. The sheet includes 2 bands but they'll never conform to the boom as they are straight not curved as well as being a bit short.

Regards

Michael

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dukdalf said:

Always nice to see a Tintin theme, and your Hare looks great. I've built the MPM-boxing, which I suspect is the same as the Gran. As for reference, this site: http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/aerotintin.htm is quite useful as well. 

Thanks for the link! The French sites have some great articles on Tintin which isn't suprising since he's originally a Belgium native.

I've recently being look at the Modelstories site which also has some nice articles on Tintin and Aviation as well as other mechanics (such as tanks and submarines)