Can I build an F4J(uk) from the 1/72 Academy kit?

Stuart Wilson

Hi.

I've just finished the new Airfix FG.1 and fuelled up by all things Phantomy I was wondering if the F-4J(uk) can be built from the Academy kit or are there things missing? I'm aware the aircraft were essentially F-4S but lacking the slats on the wing but I'm not sure how the F-4S differed from the F-4J.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stuart

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_Phantom_in_UK_service#F-4J(UK)_Phantom

Because the aircraft in RAF service were a special production batch built to UK specifications, it would not be possible to obtain identical aircraft, so 15 second-hand airframes were procured from among the best of the ex-US Navy F-4Js stored at the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center at Davis–Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona and the Naval Air Rework Facility at NAS North Island.[69][70] The F-4J was chosen because it was the variant from which the RAF's F-4Ks and F-4Ms were developed, and was thus the closest available to the British aircraft. The 15 that were selected were extensively refurbished and brought to a standard almost equivalent to the F-4S, which was the last variant in service with the US Navy, the only differences being the absence of leading-edge slats and a helmet gun sight.[71]

One of the obvious differences between the F-4S and F-4J is the addition of wing strengthening straps on the lower surface of the wings. The Academy kit does not have these.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 7:59 PM, VMA131Marine said:

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_Phantom_in_UK_service#F-4J(UK)_Phantom

One of the obvious differences between the F-4S and F-4J is the addition of wing strengthening straps on the lower surface of the wings. The Academy kit does not have these.

But if the OP has the straps left over from his Airfix kit he's laughing. To be honest the straps aren't difficult to make anyway.

Duncan B

On 2/8/2018 at 7:44 PM, Stuart Wilson said:

Hi.

I've just finished the new Airfix FG.1 and fuelled up by all things Phantomy I was wondering if the F-4J(uk) can be built from the Academy kit or are there things missing? I'm aware the aircraft were essentially F-4S but lacking the slats on the wing but I'm not sure how the F-4S differed from the F-4J.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stuart

I think most of the F-4Js supplied to the UK didn't have the radar warning receivers on the intakes (but at least one did IIRC) so leave them off. The Academy kit would be fine for the F-4J(UK) in my opinion if you are prepared to add the strengtheners underneath (check if they are the same shape as the ones provided with the Airfix kit).

Duncan B

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

It was DECM equipment that the intake fairings were for, though the F-4J(UK) did have the equipment fitted, leaving the fairings empty. ZE350, however, did not feature the fairings.

Ah, thanks for that I got it the wrong way round.

Duncan B