Bhagdad Fury, Airfix 1/48 Take two!!

Well a small update this time, as something went wrong of course ....

I had to rework a Iraqi triangle on the upper wing as this one didn't settle well after treating it with decal softener !!

A little due to my own doing a I am sometimes am a little impacient, but nevertheless is started to redo the black lines of that triangle and all went pretty well..

And after  masking and a touch up with paint trough the airbrush it looked pretty well, but then I discovered that one side was a little off on whidth so again a touch up!!

Wel we all can guess what happened next after pushing the boundary's a little of what a decal can endure..right I pulled a piece of the decal away and below the result!

There is a problem with getting replacements as these are from 2004..

40855468422_18cfd07d5e_b.jpg

So decided to push the boundary's again by touching it up and I bought a bottle of revel  smaragdgrun which was pretty close.

So masked it again with very lowtack friskfilm  masked the red emblem and the rest was done with a hairy stick let it of to dry  and sanded it with the finest stick I had and then repeat the procedure with the airbrush..

40855470172_41ed1aa09d_b.jpg

This is after touching up but before a fade out layer...

40189427864_0a69e532da_b.jpg

The trick is to do a fade out to the original color to get the idea that it is one color..after that I had cut some lettering of a Canadian sea fury on that sheet as it appeared to have the same whidth  as the black trimming as did not wanted to push it again by painting it as I first did.

I should have done that the first time but hey I am  stubborn so do it the other way around first to do an extra learning curve ...

The effect will be better after the final coat which seals everything..

Cheers,  Jan

Edited by janneman36
info added
  • Like 10

Hi Jan, great recovery from your decal problem.  Just wondering though why you didn't mask up and spray the white stripes, it would have been a straight forward job to do.

You're on the home straight now with the build and shes looking good. 👍

Tim. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tank152 said:

Hi Jan, great recovery from your decal problem.  Just wondering though why you didn't mask up and spray the white stripes, it would have been a straight forward job to do.

You're on the home straight now with the build and shes looking good. 👍

Tim. 

It crossed my mind Tim but then these aircraft also flew in the beginning without them...

The thing about this was measuring out the width of these stripes and to position these properly on the underside with the numbers.

The triangles and lettering in these positions seemed a bit off in size compared with the pics i had of aircraft with these stripes..

Then there was also my Vallejo paint on the underside which is the hairy stick version but at some places it was prone to stick to my masking tape ..

All in all my safest bed to do it this way;)

Nevertheless i like it without these stripes as well!

Cheers,  Jan

On 2/9/2018 at 7:50 PM, Max Headroom said:

The problem with photos is that the Iraqi warbirds have been restored and some are in different schemes. I think there is one done as an RAN bird and others that weren’t Iraqi and which are now painted up that way!

Three off them VH-HFA, VH- HFG & VH-HFX

All three had major mods done during the restoration including fitting F-104 wheels and brakes

Deck hooks were bolted on and non functioning.

HFA & HFG had paint schemes that looked vaguely RANish, Bruce Andrews HFX looked quite good in 

the all blue scheme but like the other two had a god awful light grey cockpit as was the vogue with American restorations

at the time.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Long time ago I started this topic as I was in for a easy build 😂 but then I made it more difficult by not being happy with the mid stone color and other minor things so I stripped the paint off as I scored another  decalset for this Bhagdad Fury..

At the time I also got the gear off and the tanks which gave me a good clean up job for the wings were they were glued on..

And you know the Airfix plastic is soft so I had something to do

And in the meantime it layed on the bench as a silent reminder of my failure😩 But then a few weeks ago the mojo got the idea to pick it up again and finish this kit and paint it into submission again!
After a basecoat layer in the correct mid stone Humbrol 225 I also rescribed the panel lines in order to get the extra paint out that was accumulated, I airbrushed it again in the correct midstone and I was one happy camper😎

Tonight I felt the urge to paint the dark earth on the thing and though I have to do a few spots on the tail and I am getting the good vibe of this aircraft like it wants to get in shape ..

My apologies to any one who was dissapointed for not seeing this finished...

cheers, Jan

49491942961_97b5d71c4f_b.jpg

49590192242_3c6f40ddfb_b.jpg

• Like 5

Very interesting!  And it's looking great too.  Perhaps you might be interested in this pic.  Before I found it, my memory said it was done in Iraqi markings but not so. So much for an old man's memory, lol.   This plane was at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison, Texas, a "suburb" of Dallas.   They have a very nice collection there.  Apparently and sadly, this aircraft has crashed since I saw and photographed her at the museum.   I have no idea of its current status.

Cavanaugh Flight Museum

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=48218264-aa8c-4505-b5a2-0053b504a5f0

airplanemuseumandtriptoDallas110307038.j

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did manage to put all camouflage on and I am pretty pleased with the result😊again...

The upperside allready has some layers of Humbrol  acrylic gloss on it ..the undercarriage is ready as well but I didn’t stripped that one from paint as the MRP gives a very thin coat so that worked out fine in the end👍

cheers, Jan

• Like 6

Finally I was able to start the decalling stage..😯

I decided to use some decal stripes from Xtra-decal as i was afraid to lift paint when I would use tape and paint..

The decals ain’t opaque enough 🤫but hey they handpainted these as well so I don’t mind it at all! (Well almost😁still got that AMS)

In the end with the weathering applied it should look pretty ok I think 🤔 Just need to end this build as it is 2 Years ago when I started it and I want it off the shelve of doom !!

cheers, Jan

692405AE-AD1B-47FF-83A2-693B63F7B8F9

• Like 4