Bhagdad Fury, Airfix 1/48 Take two!!

39255116435_774bd68194_b.jpg

Hi all,

Just started the Airfix Sea Fury as with most kits started at the cockpit ..

I must say the cockpit looks very nice and most instruments are a separate items to ease placement over the raised detail.

These are small so be careful here !!

25281965797_2005cebb34_b.jpg

I had a case of no plastic where it should be, this is the seat support and it misses the lower bar..

25281966907_e9eb94cf7e_b.jpg

And this is how it should look:P

It isn't a big problem as I still have the upper bar and hole where the seat is placed.

And in this way it is still placed very solid, the lower one is not to be seen anyway in this cramped all black cockpit!!

25281967847_41bce457c0_b.jpg

I am still waiting for a  seat harnas that I ordered as the kit doesn't provide one.

The construction is relatively easy but the instructions call for closing up the fuselage in order to construct the wing in good order..

But I am still in need for the harnas before I close it up so I decided to construct all sub assembly's like the engine and wings I also glued the cockpit tub in the fuselage and leaving the left frame of the tub loose in the frame during my test fittings.

This is the wing strengthening construction.

25281964587_79b1e22737_b.jpg

in the pic below it is in place..be carefull aligning the parts and test fit a lot before you glue it in place because so many loose parts can be fiddly..

On the plus side if you like to fondle your plastic a lot you will be in heaven:penguin:

39255127575_393288180c_b.jpg

Here I have the joints of the wings filled with thinned putty as those joints look out of place because on some places they are to deep or leave some gaps.

I thin my putty with Tamiya extra thin glue in order to get the line more consistent.

25281963287_3bcfde9507_b.jpg

39255125315_593ee24397_b.jpg

The wheel wells are painted in azure blue as I have seen this on Iraqi Fury's, Airfix calls for linen which is correct but Sea Fury's seem to have been painted in the underside colours as well!!

The Humbrol 157 Azure has been a color that is often subject of discussion to be of a incorrect hue but I have seen a Pakistani color pic of a Fury that was painted in the same  scheme and it looked the same to me as the 157 with only being it a tat lighter in real life!

I allready did put a few drops of white in the Azure.

25281961477_7bbb70d2f8_b.jpg

Painted the spinner..

39255121985_f87f1faf0f_b.jpg

And again a testfit, I did a little sanding on the fuselage fillets and lower part of the wing wich mates up with fuselage in order to get a good fit/sit.

As it looks for now I am not in need of filler with the upper wing and fuselage joint!

The engine was already testfitted and fits perfectly well, albeit not shown in my pictures.

25281959937_646f5308df_b.jpg

39255119545_8a708a0e88_b.jpg

The engine cowling needs a little love and care.

Did sand away some detail in order to get a proper fit but no worry's here as they are going to reinstated..

This left side was a little deformed with some loss of detail on the aft cowling ring !!

25281958487_4ddd8bbe00_b.jpg

The right side was a lot better..

39255117645_8302138508_b.jpg

Frontal view of the cowling.

26280700178_ee7abdf714_b.jpg

So far it is a very lovely kit to built with some nice features and I am enjoing this build a lot, it already raised some eyebrows when I took it to the club this week in this state..

Cheers, Jan

• Like 13

IIRC the u/c bays were factory finished in a colour known as "Hawker Yellow", somewhat similar but paler than zinc chromate, however often over painted sky during line maintenance.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Great work.  My two arrived today and I am probably going to do one as a Cuban bird and the other using the decals in the box.  

Will be following with interest.

Like to see your rendition of the Cuban Fury Tim!

Those decals from the kit are top notch:yes:

34 minutes ago, Graham T said:

IIRC the u/c bays were factory finished in a colour known as "Hawker Yellow", somewhat similar but paler than zinc chromate, however often over painted sky during line maintenance.

Thanks Graham, it is probably almost the same as Airfix describes as far as i can make up from the pictures i have seen.

The color pic i have seen from the the Pakistan Fury had the insides the same color as the underside!

I have seen insides on a restored example which looks like the Azure color i am using...

It wil be a can of worms to get it historically correct i think so hence the artistic touch to it:wink:(unless i make it factory fresh)

18 minutes ago, airbus320 said:

Watching with interest as I have a Fury ISS planned also!!

Chris

Nice Chris, looking forward to yours as well.

I hope i can distract the complaint department with this build and let see the positive side of this Fury..:christmas:

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
Put my name in it...

What a lovely change !

Someone has the nerve to actually BUILD the new Airfix kit and not pontificate , criticise, run around yelling ''The sky is falling'' etc etc

Looking forward to seeing this come along 

Great work

• Like 7

5 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I hope i can distract the complaint department with this build and let see the positive side of this Fury..:christmas:

Hear hear. After all the excitement of waiting for this (and the Phantom) the tone of several posts had made me mellow a bit. And then I see a WIP like yours and all is right with the world! Thanks for sharing your build.

The selfish part of me is hoping for camo - those Baghdad birds looked mean in the browns over blue.

• Like 4

I always liked that Iraqi Fury scheme, trying to remember if they had hooks but I assume they dont*

Good to see you doing this and as alluded to, nice just to see modelling instead of whinging

* a penalty of getting old, I sometimes forget I'm modelling and just sit looking at nice plastic

Fondling...

😀

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, perdu said:

I always liked that Iraqi Fury scheme, trying to remember if they had hooks but I assume they dont

I think there was a mix, with some having the ventral cut out at the bottom of the rudder whilst others didn’t. The problem with photos is that the Iraqi warbirds have been restored and some are in different schemes. I think there is one done as an RAN bird and others that weren’t Iraqi and which are now painted up that way!

Try and find a period photo!

And yes, it’s good that one is actually being built.

Trevor

• Like 2

@ Perdu and Trevor, there was indeed a mix of these aircraft with a hook system and without hooks.

The original newly ordered ones are without those hook system and had those flat tails and extended rudders and later on there was a batch delivered of ex navy aircraft and these where modified but only by deleting the hook itself!

If you search carefully on the net you can find pics of these aircraft!

In the end during 1979  24 of these aircraft where bought in Iraq to David Tallichet and Ed Jurist in the states.

Most where restored to flying condition some of these recieved a R2800 engine and even R3350 engines and where fitted in this case with  four bladed prop.

If i am correct those flying or flew in this livery where original from that batch of 24 Iraqi aircraft..

Linky to an original http://www.fastaero.be/media-2/?album=1&gallery=7

This one was one of the original aircraft with the extended rudder and i am going to use an old Aeromaster decal set 48-712 which depicts an early one ..

Thanks to you all for the positive reactions:D

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
Linky added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Small update as I did some sanding on the wing edges which needed almost no filler, no pics of that though..

There where a few ejector marks on the inside landing gear covers that are attached to the gear this took a very careful cleanup .

On the outside of these covers there is a bulge on each side that isn't there on the ISS Fury and are sanded off as well.

26297066258_44aa229579_b.jpg

Also made the rudder extension which is drying at the moment for further treatment.

26297062108_026c7ccac4_b.jpg

Did some paint mixing as well as was trying to get the Azure a little more vibrant and lighter,just an experiment ...

As a base I still used the humbrol 157 and threw some blue 25 and white in it..

Shown here are three pics that shows what lighting and compensation can do to color!

26297065118_9ba321f6fe_b.jpg

26297063198_6d14ec9680_b.jpg

26297064258_d7a47f6957_b.jpg

The fun part of this experiment is that my color chip in no way compares to what I see when I hold it to the screen against these pictures!!!

Cheers ,Jan  

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Next step were the seatbelts, my local hobbyshop had a set with three sets in them from Eduard and these are basically the same as the set special for the Airfix kit which has only one set in the bag!!

Price difference was about 60p more for three instead of having one :think:

25378870407_fc70d4de71_b.jpgDSC_6498

39538544184_ac04761eb3_b.jpgDSC_6495

Now able to close the thing up with these belts in and the nose job had to be done ...there was a little need of filler but hey it is a nose job..

First I had the nose already put together and attached it to the ring that should be glued to the fuselage.

I put it on but after a little bit of fondling with this attached I still wasn't happy about the fit, in all the nose consist of three rings and the third wasn't aligned properly!!

So of it went and tried it again and at that moment still happy but then I looked again at a real Fury nose  and saw that it was fairly snug fitted on that thing .

My inner ring being the one with the bonnet as I call it was smaller in diameter that the forward and aft cowl ring and so of it went.

And finally the third time is a charm, the problem was solved with a shim being inserted enlarging the diameter!

25378868197_78df519c01_b.jpgDSC_6512

39538542904_96dd6cd952_b.jpgDSC_6511

25378886817_9604bda773_b.jpgDSC_6523

39352198365_23e69ce875_b.jpgDSC_6529

39352199165_4c73f04c54_b.jpgDSC_6528

39352194735_59cf15512e_b.jpgDSC_6533

39538546054_9dd69bca94_b.jpgDSC_6546

39352192355_14e4c7a548_b.jpgDSC_6538

39352193505_cb25f2f8c4_b.jpgDSC_6536

Next step where the nav lights on the wingtips..

These are being drilled out to and filled with the appropriate color to resemble the bulbs ..

The first was spot on but the next was ruined by my own doing   (and we all complain about the Airfix *****ups)

So of I go with a clear sprue drilled it out as par procedure and glued it in place..

After the glue had hardened I was able to sand it in shape and polish it and voila a perfect nav light!!    

25378885737_af8ccf936b_b.jpgDSC_6525

25378885217_fc47388b6d_b.jpgDSC_6526

39352197135_c463661655_b.jpgDSC_6530

39352195775_61b1d594d9_b.jpgDSC_6531

39352200165_a599e345c4_b.jpgDSC_6527

Then after my paint experiment I came to the conclusion that a bottle of Vallejo Azure was cheaper than spending time on mixing ....

But here a comparison of my brief experiment and shake and paint color  from Vallejo (this isn't the air paint from them but hairy stick edition which airbrushes very well) 

The wheel wells had already a good primer in that being the Humbrol Azure blue, this is what am going to use as a primer on the whole model!!

The lightest shade is the Vallejo Azure..

40249899191_b0c83ba170_b.jpgDSC_6494

39352203755_8bfe51fb7c_b.jpgDSC_6521

25378890707_e2995e941e_b.jpgDSC_6514

The tail is also in shape by now!!

25378888197_846dc9e503_b.jpgDSC_6522

During my investigations on the web I discovered that Fury N57JB is in an American museum and still in a RAN color scheme it got when it was first restored after being bought in Iraqi stock condition..

It flew in the early eighties and then was sold to the U.S. to it's current owner albeit being in airworthy condition this aircraft is not flown for a long time now.

The fun thing is with this aircraft that it is a original ISS aircraft and being number 23 of the first batch of aircraft, we don't know to which level the restoration was carried out but it still has Azure blue wheel wells!

That being said is that I am more confident about that colour being used for my aircraft wheel wells which was ISS19..

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 8

Hi Jan - this looks like a great kit of the Sea Fury at last and nice for us to see a pair of skilled hands assembling it - I do have reservations about the shape of the spinner in the kit though but maybe someone like Barracudacast will sort that out - watching this with interest as it is on my purchase list.

CJP

31 minutes ago, CJP said:

Hi Jan - this looks like a great kit of the Sea Fury at last and nice for us to see a pair of skilled hands assembling it - I do have reservations about the shape of the spinner in the kit though but maybe someone like Barracudacast will sort that out - watching this with interest as it is on my purchase list.

CJP

Thanks for your compliment!

I think you will love this kit, it isn't perfect but for this price you don't hear me complain!!

I have a Hobbycraft built once and when you put these next to each other the difference is big in level of detail..

Cheers, Jan

• Like 2

When I think of my first ever Airfix kit, which my dad bought me back in 1968 (a Thunderbolt in those bags...anyone remember ?), and what we get in todays offerings...I will never moan. Keeping an eye on this thread with interest as I have one waiting to be started. I can remember that first kit...the dog got hold of it and ate the canopy. Yes, I cried.

• Like 2

On 09/02/2018 at 8:24 AM, perdu said:

I always liked that Iraqi Fury scheme, trying to remember if they had hooks but I assume they dont*

Good to see you doing this and as alluded to, nice just to see modelling instead of whinging

* a penalty of getting old, I sometimes forget I'm modelling and just sit looking at nice plastic

Fondling...

😀

Sea Furies did have hooks as they primarily operated from aircraft carriers. One is provided in the kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airbus320 said:

Looking great! :yes:

AFAIK the first batch of Fury FB.60s provided to Iraq did not have arrestor hooks or the mounting hump. A later batch of refurbished ex-RN FB.11s had the hump but no hook.

Chris

Absolutely correct there about these Fury's and thanks for your compliment!

Still busy reinstating some details that where lost so i hope to make a update on tuesday with some pics.

Sometimes the details that i change will not give me what i like to see so it takes a littlebit longer to finish the thing but slowly getting there.....

Cheers, Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Did some make some progress on this but it was a little of one step forward and two back:mellow:

I was nearly to a point that I thought about giving up because the Vallejo gave me some headaches during the decaling process as the paint softened up after applying the clearcoat and diluted with that!

And after that at some point I ruined my paint job on the Vallejo Azure again after applying a white decal stripe that needed to be In pairs of two on the wing.

After the first one on I decided to leave these of as these aircraft at some point flew without them, but getting this stripe off it wasn't as easy as I thought so I marred the delicately soften't azure underside:o

So here some results....

Nevertheless I regained myself and I was back on track after a day..and then ruined my newly painted and partly decalled tail whit a scratch so I needed to redo that one as well.....

40734283671_b2fb7471e0_b.jpg

39839289025_e200fb83c8_b.jpg

40734284971_25d464e00a_b.jpg

40734286431_db4d8babcf_b.jpg

39839291305_8112e1a38c_b.jpg

40691446342_6a7d183b81_b.jpg

40691445542_7149a4d910_b.jpg

As I went decaling I didn't seem to find the right numbers and places for them as there are so many of them for the stenciling so I marked these that I had done away with a black marker to keep it easy ...

40691447502_f7b4587a41_b.jpg

The rudder will be riveted with HGW Webgarten silver rivets and it gives it a very restraint look and when you see it in real life and you almost won't notice it unless the light falls on it at the right angle ..

some people at the club didn't even saw it at first until I told them to look a little bit better.

I also did some on the aft cowling lip where in reallife these rivets are noticeable..

39839286865_18b8490311_b.jpg

26862989598_2ea911c1ac_b.jpg

40734273361_a94348a615_b.jpg

The fin flash needs some touching up as the rivets are thick and high and maybe a little overdone for the size they are ....

40024117764_9a40e3aff5_b.jpg

39839285255_8210f36503_b.jpg

As you  all can see a can be fairly happy with the result and slowly I am getting there..

It may not be perfect but I have more kits to build..

Cheers.  Jan

Edited by janneman36
info and photo added
  • Like 7

I did polished the cockpit hood today, it had a small annoying sort off miniscule small dot in it !!

I think it was a remnant of my last polishing effort but it was very small and difficult to tell if it was in the plastic or on the in or outside..:idea:

So armoured  with  my reading glasses and magnifying glass I came to the discovery that it was on the inside and I carefully removed it with my surgical blade..

And after that carefully sanding it again with a nail polish set..

Then the buffing with a lens cloth and Tamiya polishing compound started resulting in a blemish free and shiny hood, believe me it sounds easy but you need time and patience and the all ever learning curve to get it right..

Nowadays I am not afraid to buff out any scratches on my clear pieces and I don't have to dip them into a clear coat to make them shinyB)

39851487855_63d00a1f74_b.jpg

40746350721_420a266153_b.jpg

40746354551_0de7c93b5d_b.jpg

The masking tape is from Tamiya and is the flexible vinyl one and works like a charm for curves..

Just put some masking fluid on it and letting it dry, sadly I have to go to work so i have to stop:o

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 6