Better late than never...another Lurker steps out of the closet

AeroNautique

Hello Ladies and Gents,

So after a 20+ year hiatus from mutilating and butchering 1/72 plastic aircraft models, I've decided to pick up a knife and paint brush again to get through these winter evenings. This forum has been a trove of information and advice which I've quietly browsed for several years, as such I already owe many members thanks for sharing their wisdom though I haven't even started a kit yet.

Seeing the vast range of kits that are available these days, combined with the abundance of after-market items and weathering/finishing techniques that have evolved over the last two decades has me excited but also a little intimidated about returning to the hobby...the leaps and bounds taken during my break has me questioning whether I even really know the basics anymore, let alone the advanced stuff, so fellow members can expect some bone-head questions in the near future. I've decided to take things slowly and learn as much as I can about each stage of the build process, so will be making a nuisance of myself on these forums over the next few months.

I've decided that 1/48 is now my scale of choice. I'll stick to aircraft, but no particular theme...just whatever takes my fancy, an airframe I admire or have some connection with. My first two projects will be a Spitfire V, (one of Malta's so-called Blue Defenders) and a commonwealth P-51D Mustang. My third project is intended to be an F7F Tigercat Air Tanker, but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. Right now I'm purchasing tools/equipment and going through the research stage. The two former kits will most likely be Tamiya products, though I'm aware they have some issues (the Sptifire wings will be annoying). The Tigercat, probably the AMT kit. Any advice offered regarding these products, or potential alternatives, will be graciously received.

Though I do prefer a degree of anonymity online, I certainly look forward to getting invovled in this the community which appears to be very generous and supportive!

Cheers Everybody

Launchpad

Edited by Launchpad
typo
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Launchpad said:

I've decided that 1/48 is now my scale of choice. I'll stick to aircraft,

You sound like a very sensible, well adjusted chap.

Welcome to BM!

Gorby.

• Like 2

Hello Launchpad ... :welcome: To Britmodeller and back to models. I came back a few years ago and yes it can be intimidating. If you will take it heres a few tips. One build only for yourself never to please others. Two i recommend that you try only one new technique, A/M, or what have you per build. Less chance of frustration and walking away from models. Three when you look at the model ask yourself this question, “can I still look at this model and be satisified with my work in a month ?” That is what i recommend as a standard to build too. You will learn new techniques and skills faster than you expect. And ultimately will enjoy the process more. 

Dennis

P.S. - feel free to ask me any questions. Id rather you ask and learn than not ask and get frustrated. 

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:36 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

Only advice I have to proffer is to enjoy it ( and try (in as far as is possible) keep the rate of building in balance with the rate of kit buying)

I tried to follow that advice, but it's not going very well, much to the Missus' amusement....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

but still appear to be a sane and well balanced individual

That doesn't work anymore, she knows what she got herself into. Currently asking why I've already purchased three kits, yet haven't begun to build anything...and offered to buy me tools for my birthday. She's a keeper ^_^

Edited by Launchpad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Launchpad said:

That doesn't work anymore, she knows what she got herself into. Currently asking why I've already purchased three kits, yet haven't begun to build anything...and offered to buy me tools for my birthday. She's a keeper ^_^

Does that mean she won't mind you filching her nail-varnish remover to tidy up superglue applications, or wonder where those eminently usable four-grade nail files disappeared to?

Oh, and welcome on board, BTW!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Does that mean she won't mind you filching her nail-varnish remover to tidy up superglue applications, or wonder where those eminently usable four-grade nail files disappeared to?

Oh, and welcome on board, BTW!

She probably would mind if she found out...what she doesn't know won't hurt her, or me for that matter B)

• Haha 1

Hi Launchpad. 

Like you I have recently joined after many years of lurking. 

My observation of this forum is that there are many talented and friendly modellers who are willing to help any modeller who asks for help. 

Best wishes for your future modelling endeavours. 

Condor2729

• Like 1

On 08/02/2018 at 5:21 PM, Launchpad said:

My first two projects will be a Spitfire V, (one of Malta's so-called Blue Defenders) and a commonwealth P-51D Mustang.

First bit of advice. Spitfire V, Get the Airfix one but check that the canopy is moulded correctly in the shop. Don't get any paint on joining surfaces (I scribe along edges as a guide and you'll be fine. Doing something a bit different as an early build the Tamiya kit will quickly disappoint you in my experience.

That aside a very warm Welcome from me and I hope you like it here. 

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, SleeperService said:

First bit of advice. Spitfire V, Get the Airfix one but check that the canopy is moulded correctly in the shop. Don't get any paint on joining surfaces (I scribe along edges as a guide and you'll be fine. Doing something a bit different as an early build the Tamiya kit will quickly disappoint you in my experience.

That aside a very warm Welcome from me and I hope you like it here. 

After reading a few articles about the Tamiya V, I went sniffing for an Airfix kit...but stumbled across a Special Hobby Vc at a price I couldn't possibly refuse. I'll probably make at least one more V, so next time it'll be the Airfix kit, I'll probably make a hash of the Special Hobby V anyway!

Thank you everybody for the welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome to you too Launchpad. Are you planning to post some WIP pics of your Vc once you've made a start? I'm trying to build a Mk.II at the moment and am in the process of plucking up the courage (and finding the time) to start a thread in the WIP section.

• Like 1

:welcome:, Launchpad to BM, glad to see that you have decided to stop lurking. These are the most generous people that you could find. It is a goldmine of knowledge, advice, and help. Build for yourself, you will enjoy it more. I am partial to 1/72nd scale aircraft, no particular era. I live in the SE area of Wisconsin, originally from the Chicago area. I look forward to your work and comments.

Joe

Edited by JPuente54
spelling
  • Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:53 AM, monsjmse said:

Welcome to you too Launchpad. Are you planning to post some WIP pics of your Vc once you've made a start? I'm trying to build a Mk.II at the moment and am in the process of plucking up the courage (and finding the time) to start a thread in the WIP section.

I feel there would be too many abrupt turns and back-steps to justify a WIP with my first few kits, so I'll probably skip this initially...but I'll document the process on the chance I may change my mind, I know there's a lot of sincere advice to be offered by more experienced peers reveiwing a WIP and perhaps I should utilize this aspect of the forum.

I've tried to be a one-kit-one-build modeller, but now I already own 2 Spitfires! Just picked up an Airfix PR XIX to join my Mk Vc, both at a price I couldn't turn down. I'll get around to a Mk II at some stage as well...there's no such thing as too many Spitfires, unless of course you're from the early 1940s Luftwaffe.

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:17 AM, JPuente54 said:

:welcome:, Launchpad to BM, glad to see that you have decided to stop lurking. These are the most generous people that you could find. It is a goldmine of knowledge, advice, and help. Build for yourself, you will enjoy it more. I am partial to 1/72nd scale aircraft, no particular era. I live in the SE area of Wisconsin, originally from the Chicago area. I look forward to your work and comments.

Joe

Regarding your first sentence...I'm a member of several forums covering different subjects, and I've come to notice that this forum is, by far, a more supportive and congenial environment than all the others in which I've participated, it's quite a relief not feeling the need to second-guess every word for fear of starting a flame war.

I was in your former neck of the woods a couple of times last year, albiet briefly...quite enjoyed myself, Chicago was surprisingly pleasant compared to what I expected. 

Edited by Launchpad
typo

On 02/16/2018 at 8:42 AM, Steve Coombs said:

You forgot to mention the strand or two of hair for that perfect aerial line.... :D

Welcome back to the asylum!

Launchpad, thanks for your kind remarks, I do appreciate them. Oh, when I wrote about building for yourself; I am more or less paraphrasing corsairfoxfouruncle; he is the first one that I have seen writing about this; but, he is absolutely correct about it. I am not that far from Chicago(60mi./100km, give or take); but, am now closer to the Milwaukee, Wis. metro area. Have a great modelling day!

Joe

On ‎3‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, thorfinn said:

You forgot to mention the strand or two of hair for that perfect aerial line.... :D

Welcome back to the asylum!

That won't be a problem, she leaves enough long hair laying around...most of it in the shower plug-hole admittedly :swear:

• Haha 1