1/72 Airfix Phantom FG.1 (R.A.F.)

Sanded the surface to add a few faded areas then the wash is applied. Still a bit more to do to the paint job but must reframe from going too far in this scale.

fg1%20wash_zpspvikqtex.jpg

Its hard to tell in this photo but I painted the pylons white. I noticed that on early films of the Phantom that they looked white. Any opinion on that?

fg1%20pylons_zpsa1tjps33.jpg

The rear areas next.

fg1%20tails_zpsbdirzmgv.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Rich is correct, the RAF FG.1s retained the cat hooks etc.

Having said that you've done a blinding job at covering them up!

Yes hands up, sorry! I should have asked the question. It was a pain in the bum to hide them. Talk about creating work for myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

The green looks perfect, is it Tamiya XF-81?

No its a mixed colour slightly darker than XF-81. I messed around with different shades of both grey and green on a test piece until I found one that looked near enough when dried.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichG said:

Strictly speaking I think the cat hooks should be there on the FG.1 (Royal Navy or RAF) - like the nose legs and slotted tail planes they were retained by the RAF aircraft.

Yes my mistake. I'm not digging them out.:smile:

4 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

What did you do with the holes for the catapult strops? Did you use plastic card to fill the area or did you fill around the strop hooks supplied in the kit or as a third option, am I simply haveing difficulty seeing them in your pictures?

Gondor

Don't fill them in! I'm stupid and did. And just to answer your question, I added the hooks and filled them in with green putty. Nightmare job getting them to look seamless.

12 minutes ago, DenPhill said:

Yes my mistake. I'm not digging them out.:smile:

... sorry :(.

I meant to add its a cracking build. 43 Squadron?  What roundels will you be putting her in red/blue tactical or old school red/white/blue? I've  a soft spot for the original style - going to go for this myself. 

Rich 

Edited by RichG

35 minutes ago, DenPhill said:

Its hard to tell in this photo but I painted the pylons white. I noticed that on early films of the Phantom that they looked white. Any opinion on that?

Not something I've ever really noticed before, but now you mention it looking at photos of early camoflaged aircraft the pylons do seem lighter/brighter than the LAG undersides and whilst it could be a trick of the light they do look white; possibly a consequence of their Royal Navy heritage the pylons were all delivered in white. 

Rich

The very early FGR.2s certainly had white under wing pylons and tanks, maybe the same for FG.1s?

These 54 Sqn Phantoms are good examples.

http://www.thephantomshrine.co.uk/raf54/54.htm

54flypastlge.jpg

Like Rich I think this was an issue with supplying aircraft to the Royal Navy as well, like the Navy FG.1s being finished in Dark Sea Grey and a pair in camo.

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, RichG said:

... sorry :(.

I meant to add its a cracking build. 43 Squadron?  What roundels will you be putting her in red/blue tactical or old school red/white/blue? I've  a soft spot for the original style - going to go for this myself. 

Rich 

Yes 43 Squadron. Not sure yet the old school looks good, but I'll have to source some slanted fin flashes first. Will have to make a decision very soon.

Images from Aircraft Illustrated 1973.

REDUCED%20IMAGE%20TWO_zpsjv9cacku.jpgREDUCED%20IMAGE%20ONE_zpsfkznkdzm.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DenPhill said:

Yes 43 Squadron. Not sure yet the old school looks good, but I'll have to source some slanted fin flashes first. Will have to make a decision very soon

You're in luck - Xtradecal have just released a new set for the Phantom FG.1 / FGR.2 (Part 4!). It includes the 43 Sqn markings from 1970 (including the slanted fin flash).  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72293 - talk about just in time :D

Rich

Great info about the strop hooks and extendable leg being kept by the RAF. Did the FG.1's of 43 Sqn ever get the strengthening plates under the wings at all?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread but it is kind or related

Gondor

3 hours ago, DenPhill said:

Yes 43 Squadron. Not sure yet the old school looks good, but I'll have to source some slanted fin flashes first. Will have to make a decision very soon.

Images from Aircraft Illustrated 1973.

REDUCED%20IMAGE%20TWO_zpsjv9cacku.jpgREDUCED%20IMAGE%20ONE_zpsfkznkdzm.jpg

DenPhill, you do realise it is illegal in some parts of the world to display only small areas of Phantom pictures.  I demand full reveal !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, PLC1966 said:

DenPhill, you do realise it is illegal in some parts of the world to display only small areas of Phantom pictures.  I demand full reveal !!

Sorry I'm just a tease.

I'm in limbo at the moment, waiting for the RAF stencil decals from Hannants. The rear exhausts are not 100% accurate in shape, real ones taper slightly. But until someone comes out with a resin replacement these will have to do.

The etched ladders made up and are a real treat. These will be painting yellow instead of the dark green, just to add some contrast to the Phantom.

ladders%20built%20up_zpswvtdfgpj.jpgfg1%20rear%20pipes%20finished_zpsf0r7l3rfg1%20rear%20tails%20finished_zpsu8q4mtyfg1%20weapons%20painted_zpsiz1scpqe.jpgfg1%20finished%20rear_zpsazqz9cia.jpg

• Like 12

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, RichG said:

You're in luck - Xtradecal have just released a new set for the Phantom FG.1 / FGR.2 (Part 4!). It includes the 43 Sqn markings from 1970 (including the slanted fin flash).  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72293 - talk about just in time :D

Rich

I've had the RAF service part one decals for some time now, before I got the kit, with the later style roundel for No.43 Squadron. I bought a second sheet with 41 Squadron on, again later roundels. So I'm not buying any more, without the wrath of her indoors upon me. I'm in two minds at the moment 43 or 41?. I've just ordered the RAF stencils from Hannants, forgot that some of these stencils would be different from the Navy's. I've noticed the sheet comes with walkways. But looking at most photos these aren't present on the early RAF Phantoms.

7 hours ago, DenPhill said:

I've had the RAF service part one decals for some time now, before I got the kit, with the later style roundel for No.43 Squadron. I bought a second sheet with 41 Squadron on, again later roundels. So I'm not buying any more, without the wrath of her indoors upon me. I'm in two minds at the moment 43 or 41?.

Well of course it should probably be 43 (41 was an FGR.2 equipped unit) particularly after your deliciously painted slotted stabilators, a distinguishing feature of the FG.1. You could always try painting the slanted fin flash of 43. The stripes seem to be parallel - just a bit of careful masking - your masking elsewhere looks great.

By the way, phabulous pholding of those PE ladders - they look absolutely gorgeous :thumbsup:. What's their fit on the aircraft like?

Rich

Edited by RichG

Those ladders look really great.

As for the white pylons, according to the Double Ugly RAF/RN Phantom books these were indeed delivered in Gloss White. Later on they were repainted Light Aircraft Grey during depot maintenance.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

The Xtradecals RAF stencils turned up yesterday, which meant that I could get this Phantom finished.

fg1%20decls%20on_zps6e7xowrm.jpg

Just a word of advise, its up to you, I'd use as many of the Airfix stencils as possible. The Xtradecals numbering on the sheet for the under surface decals threw me big time, numbering doesn't match up with the decal sheet. And as you can see there is a slip in registration, this decal will have to come off, will use the Airfix one.

Xtradecals Squadron insignia sheets are spot on though. :yes:

fg1%20nose%20decal_zpsoosqyhc8.jpg

I'll finish this Phantom today and will try to post some final photos late today, if not tomorrow.

• Like 8

Well I'm calling this one done, hope you like her. The ladders really add something to the kit which has its faults, but then again so do my models. I'm glad its finished my interest was starting to wane its my age you know, 54 this year.

bm%20final%20phantom%20side%20two%20bettbm%20phantom%20top%20front%20finished_zpbm%20final%20phantom%20underside_zpsp70abm%20final%20phantom%20side_zpsq2hdmcha.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1