1/72 Airfix Phantom FG.1 (R.A.F.)

21 hours ago, missile-monkey said:

I can see the difference in the two paint finishes......How do you 'tone down' the finish exactly?

Sorry if it's a stupid question..

MM

Its just a matter of thinning down the base colour and applying one light coat at a time. Let it dry before you apply your next coat. Do this until you get the desired effect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DenPhill said:

Its just a matter of thinning down the base colour and applying one light coat at a time. Let it dry before you apply your next coat. Do this until you get the desired effect.

Thank you for this....I've a new air brush which I will be using after the cottage renovation. I'm looking for all the tips and hints I can find. Thanks for the time.

Regards

MM

• Like 1

The Airfix exhausts parts looked to short and didn't give that dustbin in your face look. Brass rod cut to length really has beefed them up, perhaps to much :huh:, and should look ok once painted. Fingers crossed.

fg1%20exhausts_zpsq4rcnf4j.jpg

fg1%20brass_zps742r4h1h.jpg

fg1%20brass%20ends_zpslveqyqxk.jpg

I've notice on photos of early RAF phantoms that they only carry one of these. Does any one know what it is and what colour it should be?

fg1%20blank_zps1w1nzxiv.jpg

Edited by DenPhill
  • Like 3

For that last pic of the finless missile, I think they were a roundel blue. Basically a kind of training round that wasn't fired. Experts will be here to clarify I expect.

• Like 1

If it's fitted in the Sparrow missile bay it's either an acquisition round or a blue painted ballast 'shape'.  Usually only the two forward bays had the ballast shapes fitted, I'm not sure but I think the white painted acquisition rounds were carried singularly, sometimes along side a ballast shape in the forward bays.

Having said that, it seems rare that the Navy FG.1s carried anything in the Sparrow bays, certainly compared to the RAF jets.

Cracking job on the undercarriage. The main wheels look very nicely molded as well.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

The items in the forward missile recesses are drill sparrow missiles. Commonly referred to as ballast sparrows, as that was the main job they did!.

As with all drill weapons they were painted Oxford Blue.

On the FGR2's in the mid 80's we always fitted 2 to each aircraft.The memory is getting a little foggy, but I seem to remember from my Phantom course, the reason is balance against fuel load.

In the early days there was a fuel tank in use below the fin (5 tank I think it was called). If the aircraft was not loaded with much and 5 tank was filled, the nose soon pointed skywards. So to counterbalance this, ballast sparrows were brought into use.

Later 5 tank was not used, but the ballast was still fitted. (Of course this does not explain why the Navy did not use them).

Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks for that everyone, it explains lot. The footage does shows no central fuel tank when carrying this one drill missile. It seems on the other side of the drill missile a camera or sensor is attached sometimes, I won't be adding that. The ladders have turned up today, they look good.

I'm away tomorrow have been seconded to help with the retrieval of some Bulldog parts for the museum. Will jump back on the Phantom Friday. Cheers everyone.

fg1%20ladders_zpssjewi3qi.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/02/2018 at 15:54, DenPhill said:

I hate building and painting aircraft undercarriage.

fg1%20wheels_zps7vdesuxm.jpg

These are absolutely superb! How did you make the black square with the silver writing on in such a small scale, is it a decal?

• Like 2

On 12/02/2018 at 18:39, DenPhill said:

Fixing the bottom wing/body part wasn't the best fit, especially the front. This may have been because I deviated from the instructions and built the intakes as two assembly, who knows. lots of filler under the front intakes anyway.

fg1%20body%20and%20wing%20three_zpslefckfg1%20body%20and%20wing_zps7h7ttfhm.jpg

The top wing parts fitted perfectly, almost Tamiya like in fit. The outer wings needed some trimming to fit as did the centre leading-edge flaps.

fg1%20body%20and%20wing%20%20five_zpsk67

Canopies masked and ready for a black coat of paint.

fg1%20canopy%20masked_zpsjyzkab2e.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but why do so many people coat their models all over black before painting them in their proper colours?

I've never done this, what does it do? Wouldn't it risk hiding some of the lines? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DenPhill said:

The footage does shows no central fuel tank when carrying this one drill missile. It seems on the other side of the drill missile a camera or sensor is attached sometimes, I won't be adding that. The ladders have turned up today, they look good.

That is FGR.2 / RAF only, strike camera in the port Sparrow bay with the drill missile in the other side.

When looking for references look out for Royal Navy Phantoms,  as the typical weapons etc fit can be quite different to RAF Phantoms.

• Like 1

I'll add my voice to the landing gear chorus, they look fantastic! I'm jealous of that result.

7 hours ago, DenPhill said:

I'm away tomorrow have been seconded to help with the retrieval of some Bulldog parts for the museum.

Biplane or missile? I'm intrigued to learn more about either!

• Like 1

So back from shifting boxes and on to the Phantom. A coat of grey was applied, which as always highlighted a number of imperfections to deal with. These cleared up, the light gull grey is applied. All the paints here are custom mixed using Tamiya paints.  

fg1%20light%20gulll%20gray_zpsorxjshea.j

fg1%20dark%20sea%20gray_zpsc7ixwlgx.jpgfg1%20dark%20green_zpsxtdwl1t6.jpgfg1%20second%20go_zps9gd2qbop.jpgfg1%20finished%20under%20side_zpsmediyo1fg1%20finished%20top%20side_zpshwyuepwe.

After some areas are touched up the whole model will be wet sanded and buffed up with a polishing stick. This will not only give me a smooth surface to apply the decals but should distress the paint work. Then the rear metal work can be applied. 

• Like 15

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, Lord Riot said:

These are absolutely superb! How did you make the black square with the silver writing on in such a small scale, is it a decal?

Yes I've just rummaged around my decal stash for something that looks like a placard. Sometimes they need trimming down to size.

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:52 PM, k5054nz said:

I'll add my voice to the landing gear chorus, they look fantastic! I'm jealous of that result.

Biplane or missile? I'm intrigued to learn more about either!

Thanks Zac. Its a Scottish Aviation Bulldog, salvaged from a crash. This will eventually appear, as is we think, in one of the Hangers at Wight Aviation Museum on the Isle of Wight.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DenPhill said:

So back from shifting boxes and on to the Phantom. A coat of grey was applied, which as always highlighted a number of imperfections to deal with. These cleared up, the light gull grey is applied. All the paints here are custom mixed using Tamiya paints.  

fg1%20light%20gulll%20gray_zpsorxjshea.j

fg1%20dark%20sea%20gray_zpsc7ixwlgx.jpgfg1%20dark%20green_zpsxtdwl1t6.jpgfg1%20second%20go_zps9gd2qbop.jpgfg1%20finished%20under%20side_zpsmediyo1fg1%20finished%20top%20side_zpshwyuepwe.

After some areas are touched up the whole model will be wet sanded and buffed up with a polishing stick. This will not only give me a smooth surface to apply the decals but should distress the paint work. Then the rear metal work can be applied. 

The green looks perfect, is it Tamiya XF-81?

What did you do with the holes for the catapult strops? Did you use plastic card to fill the area or did you fill around the strop hooks supplied in the kit or as a third option, am I simply haveing difficulty seeing them in your pictures?

Gondor

12 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

What did you do with the holes for the catapult strops? Did you use plastic card to fill the area or did you fill around the strop hooks supplied in the kit or as a third option, am I simply haveing difficulty seeing them in your pictures?

Gondor

Strictly speaking I think the cat hooks should be there on the FG.1 (Royal Navy or RAF) - like the nose legs and slotted tail planes they were retained by the RAF aircraft.

• Like 1