1/72 Airfix Phantom FG.1 (R.A.F.)

Hi everyone

Started the Airfix FG.1 kit some days ago with the idea to build it in RAF markings. I've posted a few photos already of the finished cockpit and what I may do about the exhausts a few days ago. Seeing as I will be posting photos of the build as it progresses, I've moved the topic to here. The text may be very brief but if you have any question or ideas that would be great.

Greg.

fg1%20cockpit_zpshxmxoet0.jpg

The cockpit installed. I've added some weight to the nose just in case.

cockpit%20fg1_zpsk5dnjesu.jpg

The distinctive perforations on the intake ramp need to be added. Decided to give the illusion of these by painting them on.

splitters%20ramp%20fg1_zpscaaqylsz.jpgintakes%20fg1_zpsjvz7xzpg.jpg

The paint effect was to harsh so toned it down. The bottom photo shows the results, much better I think.

splitters%20ramp%20fg2_zpsggskhru8.jpg

Edited by DenPhill
  • Like 30

The fuselage half's are very flimsy, which means there is some distortion when fitting the top spine part. I glued the front part of the spine first, then one of the sides. The glue is left to set before gluing the other side. With care this part should fit with no issues.

Then the tail just clips into place.

fg1%20body_zpsyprycvai.jpg

The wing parts are next, cleaned up and ready to glue.

fg1%20wing%20parts_zpss72wrwwl.jpg

The bottom openings (front engines) are painted and a wash added to bring out the detail, although not much will be seen when enclosed in the wing.

fg1%20bottom%20vents_zpshvipyeo1.jpg

The outer wing sections are cleaned of their reinforcing plate details, thanks stever219.

fg1%20wing%20tips_zpsrqxrmena.jpg

• Like 7

The fuselage joins are all checked. I keep knocking those bloody HF antenna and pitot mast details so have protected them with card. I know I will end up breaking them off eventually.

fg1%20body%20two_zpszklkkaqc.jpg

The Phantoms plastic is very soft and the parts needed a lot of test fitting before committing to glue. Even so filler was required at the rear just in front of the vent openings.

fg1%20built%20wing._zpsvmkbxbub.jpg

I decided to paint the wheel bays because of the ease of access to certain areas. These will have a wash added before I close up the wing.

fg1%20wing%20uc%20painted_zpsq4wticvk.jp

The intakes are closed up and the joins are filled. The internal intake seams are filled with Vallejo putty and the excess removed with a cotton bud.

fg1%20intakes%20two_zps3sdtfrj3.jpg

The other parts painted. No need to go overboard as we will only see glimpses of these areas.

fg1%20engine%20parts_zpspledmdzn.jpg

• Like 8

Lovely work.

I like the painting on of the perforations...

Though I must say there was a lot of care to get them that even and proportioned!

If Eduard made that as part of the Masking kit that'd be good. Hint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gene K said:

Impressively clean work, DenPhill!

I'm "anxious"  to see how/if you handle the missing vents!

Gene K

Are you creating more work for me? Go on educate me, what vents? The ones either side on top of the intakes do you mean? Obviously something I've missed. Any other info on the early RAF Phantoms that I may need to look out for would be much appreciated.

Greg

Edited by DenPhill

27 minutes ago, DenPhill said:

Are you creating more work for me? Go on educate me, what vents? 

:worry: I just thought with all the beautiful detail you're adding, that you had a plan for the egregious Airfix omission.

Yes, I was referring to the top and bottom of the intakes, and also on the back end by the exhausts.

fg1_phantom_04_of_50.jpg

If you'll be using the tanks, shave off the raised "seams" on the right sides.

pc94-201-405_l.jpg

Airfix research is definitely lacking!

Gene K

• Like 2

Thanks Gene K.

I was going to cheat and use homemade decals for the intake louvers upper and lower, anything for a easy life.

fg1%20louvers_zpssxo4fvdo.jpg

The front engine is fixed and just to be sure I've reinforced it with a piece of plastic. The rear exhaust really is vague in its positioning, doesn't fill you with confidence.

fg1%20internals_zps2cmko6tm.jpg

The shorten three part nose leg ready to assemble.

fg1%20nose%20leg_zps2hsedilz.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DenPhill said:

I was going to cheat and use homemade decals for the intake louvers upper and lower, anything for a easy life.

Very nice! Any chance you can sell/share the decal file?

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 3

I've tried downloading the master artwork so people can save and print straight from the image with a 50 per cent reduction. Sorry no luck you'll have to figure out the size yourselves.There's both options here, one raps around the intake, one just sit on the top.

louvers%20jpeg_zpsqdosjcyp.jpeg 

Actual final decal size. You can see how small they are.

louvers%20decals_zpskklesqed.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Fixing the bottom wing/body part wasn't the best fit, especially the front. This may have been because I deviated from the instructions and built the intakes as two assembly, who knows. lots of filler under the front intakes anyway.

fg1%20body%20and%20wing%20three_zpslefckfg1%20body%20and%20wing_zps7h7ttfhm.jpg

The top wing parts fitted perfectly, almost Tamiya like in fit. The outer wings needed some trimming to fit as did the centre leading-edge flaps.

fg1%20body%20and%20wing%20%20five_zpsk67

Canopies masked and ready for a black coat of paint.

fg1%20canopy%20masked_zpsjyzkab2e.jpg

• Like 4

On 08/02/2018 at 12:50 PM, DenPhill said:

The paint effect was to harsh so toned it down. The bottom photo shows the results, much better I think.

I can see the difference in the two paint finishes......How do you 'tone down' the finish exactly?

Sorry if it's a stupid question..

MM

8 hours ago, DenPhill said:

. Sorry no luck you'll have to figure out the size yourselves.

Thanks very much:yes:!!

Could you give a reference  measurement, for example the length of the long grill, from flat end to tip of angled end?

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good.

Can I ask, is this the new Airfix Phantom kit with the RN version on the box art? I didn't realise you could build a RAF version from the kit.

The RAF operated the FG.1 (Nos. 43 and 111 Squadrons).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gene K said:

Thanks very much:yes:!!

Could you give a reference  measurement, for example the length of the long grill, from flat end to tip of angled end?

Gene K

fg1%20mm_zpsbmpyu4kw.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3