WNW Pfalz D.IIIA cockpit item

goon

Hi all,

I'm tackling my first WW I aircraft, and am way out of my comfort zone. My WNW Pfalz D.IIIa has an item in the cockpit that runs from the behind the control column forward, at an angle sloping towards the floor. It looks a bit like a stirrup pump, and is called out as simply brass in colour. I appreciate a colour record of this almost certainly does not exist, but if someone could tell me what it is I might be able to make an educated guess at picking out some of the detail. (I'd love to know what it is as well, I'm finding the design of early aircraft fascinating!)

Many thanks,

Gareth

Hi Dave,

I didn't think of including the part number - sorry. It's part A29. If the link points to the right place (EDIT: It doesn't, but it's the fourth image on the page it does link to.) it can be seen in the last diagram on the page.

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3002&cat=4

Thanks,

Gareth

Edited by goon

Yup, fuel tank pressure pump. Body of the pump is brass, although it could be painted pale grey/green and, from photos I have seen, I believe the shaft was chromed, the handle seems to have been typically wood. Basically it's just a big bicycle pump to pressurise the fuel system prior to start-up.