50s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

well the Duster is on the way, but I have been trying to think of something else to build that is a bit different.

I take it that the Mediterranean would be included in this GB?? 

If so I'm thinking maybe a F9F Panther??? VF-31 "Tomcatters" (strangely enough I'm building one of their F-14D's!) did a 6 month deployment in the Med on USS Leyte (it's final cruise) in August 52.  Would one on the cruise be eligible...I'm sort of thinking so.

I ask cause I (may) have resin Fisher Model & Pattern 1/32nd F9F Panther coming.....though I'm now starting to think it may have been lost in the post!!! :( (it's been 6 weeks already, coming from Canada...not feeling that confident). If all is good/ok then that may be an entry.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

well the Duster is on the way, but I have been trying to think of something else to build that is a bit different.

I take it that the Mediterranean would be included in this GB?? 

If so I'm thinking maybe a F9F Panther??? VF-31 "Tomcatters" (strangely enough I'm building one of their F-14D's!) did a 6 month deployment in the Med on USS Leyte (it's final cruise) in August 52.  Would one on the cruise be eligible...I'm sort of thinking so.

I ask cause I (may) have resin Fisher Model & Pattern 1/32nd F9F Panther coming.....though I'm now starting to think it may have been lost in the post!!! :( (it's been 6 weeks already, coming from Canada...not feeling that confident). If all is good/ok then that may be an entry.

Yes Rich anything floating or flying around the Med is included for this one :thumbsup: 

Hopefully your Panther lands before Santa's sleigh.

Edited by Col.

I have a question regarding a subject that is a bit borderline...

during the '50s the USAFE retained a presence at Wheelus AB in Libya where the 7272 FTW operated as a traning unit, equipped for a while with F-100Cs.

I've long considered building one of these Huns, now they were part of USAFE so in theory assigned to Europe but they were not actually based in Europe and they were only used for training. Would such a subject be eligible or is it really too far outside the spirit of the GB ? Mind, the F-86K is to date still my number one subject for this GB, so even if that F-100 is not eligible I'll be in anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

I have a question regarding a subject that is a bit borderline...

during the '50s the USAFE retained a presence at Wheelus AB in Libya where the 7272 FTW operated as a traning unit, equipped for a while with F-100Cs.

I've long considered building one of these Huns, now they were part of USAFE so in theory assigned to Europe but they were not actually based in Europe and they were only used for training. Would such a subject be eligible or is it really too far outside the spirit of the GB ? Mind, the F-86K is to date still my number one subject for this GB, so even if that F-100 is not eligible I'll be in anyway

Hmm, there's an interesting case, assigned but deployed outwith :hmmm: 

In this case I'll say no Giorgio. While the aircraft were assigned to Europe if they didn't spend any time operating within our area of interest I'm inclined to say they are outwith the scope of our GB. Sorry.

Just now, Col. said:

Hmm, there's an interesting case, assigned but deployed outwith :hmmm: 

In this case I'll say no Giorgio. While the aircraft were assigned to Europe if they didn't spend any time operating within our area of interest I'm inclined to say they are outwith the scope of our GB. Sorry.

No problem Col., I realise that it is a very borderline case. I'll focus on the F-86K for the GB, that will be a very early one with the original "short wing".

I will still build the F-100C but outside the GB.. 7272 FTW markings were pretty good looking !

f-100c_41921-1.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Giorgio N said:

No problem Col., I realise that it is a very borderline case. I'll focus on the F-86K for the GB, that will be a very early one with the original "short wing".

I will still build the F-100C but outside the GB.. 7272 FTW markings were pretty good looking !

f-100c_41921-1.jpg

Those are nice markings Giorgio. A pity the aircraft didn't spend at least some time in Europe during the years covered by this GB. Although if anyone can prove they did I'd be happy to include this one. Do still like the sound of your F-86K :thumbsup:

Just realised my Sabre doesn't qualify for Europe!! :cry:

I thought I had purchased Airfix - A03082 and I've actually purchased Airfix - A03082a. That little 'a' makes all the difference as it's Korea / Yugoslavia; NOT Italy!!

Currently looking for different decals   🔭

33 minutes ago, Col. said:

Those are nice markings Giorgio. A pity the aircraft didn't spend at least some time in Europe during the years covered by this GB. Although if anyone can prove they did I'd be happy to include this one. Do still like the sound of your F-86K :thumbsup:

Unfortunately not, these aircraft remained stationed in Libya. The opposite however happened, that is Europe based units temporarily moved to Wheelus. This base offered something that was hard to find around USAFE bases in Europe: large areas of unrestricted airspace with good weather for the whole year ! This made the base ideal for training activities and was used not only by USAFE aircraft but also by Matador missile equipped units for test launches.
Wheelus also hosted MATS/MAC and SAC units and at its height was home to 15,000 people ! After the coup that overthrew King Idris in 1969 all USAF units abandoned the base and this passed to the Libyan air force.

1 hour ago, wimbledon99 said:

Just realised my Sabre doesn't qualify for Europe!! :cry:

I thought I had purchased Airfix - A03082 and I've actually purchased Airfix - A03082a. That little 'a' makes all the difference as it's Korea / Yugoslavia; NOT Italy!!

Currently looking for different decals   🔭

Ah. Damn. Sorry to hear that :( Good luck finding some suitable decal options.

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Unfortunately not, these aircraft remained stationed in Libya. The opposite however happened, that is Europe based units temporarily moved to Wheelus. This base offered something that was hard to find around USAFE bases in Europe: large areas of unrestricted airspace with good weather for the whole year ! This made the base ideal for training activities and was used not only by USAFE aircraft but also by Matador missile equipped units for test launches.
Wheelus also hosted MATS/MAC and SAC units and at its height was home to 15,000 people ! After the coup that overthrew King Idris in 1969 all USAF units abandoned the base and this passed to the Libyan air force.

I must confess to knowing next to nothing of Libya's history but it sounds as if you are more familiar with it. Something I'll endeavor to read further into some day hopefully.

17 minutes ago, Col. said:

Ah. Damn. Sorry to hear that :( Good luck finding some suitable decal options.

Think I've found a solution:

• XD753 Sqn Ldr Osbourne - 66 Sqn RAF Linton-on-Ouse 1956

Would this fit?   :wonder:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Think I've found a solution:

• XD753 Sqn Ldr Osbourne - 66 Sqn RAF Linton-on-Ouse 1956

Would this fit?   :wonder:

Sounds like a solution to me :D 

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I just sorted through my stash...:thumbsup:

Find any nice surprises in there?

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

That always seems to be the case.  I am happy the GB goes on for as long as it does.  That means I can continue my Spitfires, and work on other GeeBees.  :thumbsup:

Sounds a grand plan to me. Remember many late mark Spitfires will be eligible for this GB as well ;)