50s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Not being a particular fan of the Fat Lump (oops did I type that out loud?) I mean Swift that shows the sadly lacking extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Maybe you should fix that, ahem, swiftly?

• Haha 3

Mapped out my GBs for 2019 (here and the other forum I partake on) on a spreadsheet, and this one will be one of the 4 builds (along w/ '80s Asia here on BM) that will have my priority for next year (pending RL & motivation).  So as of now, I think I'll be moving forward w/ the planning stages of a 1/48 Czech S-105 Farmer-C, Bort# 0102.  2nd production S-105 off the line (1959).  Deployed w/ the Czech air forces until a crash landing in 1962.  I'll need to go dig through the kit (Historic Models) and see what the supplied details are like and if I want to track down any additional detail bits.  

I haven't built a Red bird since the early '90s (1/48 Monogram MiG-29), so this will be something different for me.  😎

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Spreadsheets are the way forward!  :thumbsup:

If I had the scheduling software I use at work, I'd probably be using that.  😁

But I don't, so good ole Google Sheets will have to suffice.

• Haha 1

When i get back around to building i was planning on doing my F-84F from the 20th FBW, 77th FIS. It would be in these markings. ⬇️ These are the markings of the CO of the 77th. Lt.Col.Bob Ackerly. The 20th were at RAF Wethersfield. From the NMUSAF records.

”Nov 1951–22 May 1952; Wethersfield RAF Station, England, 1 Jun 1952; Shepherds Grove RAF Station (later, RAF Shepherds Grove), England, 9 Aug 1955; RAF Wethersfield, England, 27 Apr 1956.”

zA54r8d.png

While doing research looking for more photo’s I came across an Alternate scheme that is up for consideration ? However i will need some input from the @Col. on the alternative scheme. The F-84F was part of the 390th FBS, 366th FBW. They were a part of TAC Home-based at England AFB Louisiana. However this is why I’m asking. Starting in 1954 they were on permanent 6 month TDY rotation to NATO and stationed at Aviano in Italy or Chamblay-Bussieres in France. 

“Quoted from Wiki”

u7J6LSm.png

5eFqAqD.png

The scheme looks like this. 

CKmUglf.jpg

smIvEQk.png

JzllYEt.png

as12vRO.png

DJ2NfuE.jpg

Dennis 

🔷All photo’s are from Flickr/planes of the past. All rights belong to original owners i just post them for informational use. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

When i get back around to building i was planning on doing my F-84F from the 20th FBW, 77th FIS. It would be in these markings. ⬇️ These are the markings of the CO of the 77th. Lt.Col.Bob Ackerly. The 20th were at RAF Wethersfield. From the NMUSAF records.

”Nov 1951–22 May 1952; Wethersfield RAF Station, England, 1 Jun 1952; Shepherds Grove RAF Station (later, RAF Shepherds Grove), England, 9 Aug 1955; RAF Wethersfield, England, 27 Apr 1956.”

zA54r8d.png

While doing research looking for more photo’s I came across an Alternate scheme that is up for consideration ? However i will need some input from the @Col. on the alternative scheme. The F-84F was part of the 390th FBS, 366th FBW. They were a part of TAC Home-based at England AFB Louisiana. However this is why I’m asking. Starting in 1954 they were on permanent 6 month TDY rotation to NATO and stationed at Aviano in Italy or Chamblay-Bussieres in France. 

“Quoted from Wiki”

u7J6LSm.png

5eFqAqD.png

The scheme looks like this. 

CKmUglf.jpg

That's a couple of colourful options you've found there Dennis and both good for this GB. You doing one or both?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Col. said:

That's a couple of colourful options you've found there Dennis and both good for this GB. You doing one or both?

Good to know they're both good. I only have the one Thunderstreak so i will have to decide ? I like the Yellow/Black option more but will need to paint almost all of it. Apart from the markings outside of USAF livery/stars & bars. I have most of the markings for Ackerly’s F-84. I seem to have a bit of a dilemma. 😉 

Dennis

22 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Love the scheme on that F-84F, reminds me of how I used to browse through the old Squadron's "USAF Europe in Color" books, watchin how colourful all subjects were. This GB is going to see a lot of colour !

I think we did well for colourful subjects in the 60s edition so hopefully this one will inspire more of the same B)

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good to know they're both good. I only have the one Thunderstreak so i will have to decide ? I like the Yellow/Black option more but will need to paint almost all of it. Apart from the markings outside of USAF livery/stars & bars. I have most of the markings for Ackerly’s F-84. I seem to have a bit of a dilemma. 😉 

Dennis

In that case I'll say do Ackerly's machine. For all we know, given the current pace at which new releases are being announced, there could be a kit or decal sheet imminent to cover those yellow and black markings.

• Like 1

yes I am one of those sad cases with a spread sheet and calendar all done for next year. Even worse I have the folders all set up on my computer, under the Britmodeller Projects folder listed in sub-folders starting by there start date....as well as all the initial photos for the build in there and and posted in Smugmug....also under 2019 master folder.

God I really do need to get a life outside modelling.....one day! :D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

yes I am one of those sad cases with a spread sheet and calendar all done for next year. Even worse I have the folders all set up on my computer, under the Britmodeller Projects folder listed in sub-folders starting by there start date....as well as all the initial photos for the build in there and and posted in Smugmug....also under 2019 master folder.

It's like lookin' in a mirror...   :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

....yes beware of the bubbles!!! :rofl2:

You do know Enzo and I are now twins!! Beware of the crossed Enzo! :lol:

Mrs Jockney and I have 2 sets of twins already, and no we are not looking to add to the set !

To return to the subject of the GB for a moment....

Would a Frog Fairey Gannet, with Airmodel ASW conversion be ok, or a Frog Westland Wyvern be ok for this GB ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

...To return to the subject of the GB for a moment....

Would a Frog Fairey Gannet, with Airmodel ASW conversion be ok, or a Frog Westland Wyvern be ok for this GB ?

cheers Pat

Yes and yes. Both are fine for this edition.