50s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

11 hours ago, ijs302 said:

Hi could i ask a question being new to armour modelling would a T55 qualify and if so which version , and also can anyone suggest a good kit to build  thanks ian

The T55 tank certainly does qualify as there was plenty of them in use within the deffinition of our GB as John mentions below :) What scale are you thinking of? I think there's at least a couple options in 35th scale from Tamiya and Takom.

11 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Not sure about all your answers but the T-55 was a stalwart on the 1950s Cold War "battlefield."

Definitely Hungary 1956...

I've got a fairly long shortlist for this GB. Front runners are:

1/48 Spitfire 21 - kit bashed from the Airfix PR.XIX and Seafire 46

1/48 Meteor FR.9

1/48 Spitfire IXe - I have the Eduard postwar boxing, quite like the Danish option

Neptune MR.1 (if it doesn't get built in the maritime patrol GB first, or saved for the Lockheed GB)

1/32 Tempest II

1/144 Beverley

decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ijs302 said:

Hi thanks for the information I think it will be 1/72 or if anyone makes a 1/48 that would be even better 

Hmm, think there's the Revell and Plastic Soldier kits in 72nd, don't know of any in 48th though.

10 minutes ago, zebra said:

I've got a fairly long shortlist for this GB. Front runners are:

1/48 Spitfire 21 - kit bashed from the Airfix PR.XIX and Seafire 46

1/48 Meteor FR.9

1/48 Spitfire IXe - I have the Eduard postwar boxing, quite like the Danish option

Neptune MR.1 (if it doesn't get built in the maritime patrol GB first, or saved for the Lockheed GB)

1/32 Tempest II

1/144 Beverley

decisions, decisions...

Nice selection! The Tempest II is a favourite for me but the Spit 21 also sounds great, as does the Danish IXe, the Neptune MR.1...

• Like 1

Having participated in each instalment, and with Airfix's Lovely Meteor and Hunter out in 1/48 it'd be rude not to!

Count me in!

• Like 2

On 11/18/2018 at 8:02 PM, At Sea said:

Having participated in each instalment, and with Airfix's Lovely Meteor and Hunter out in 1/48 it'd be rude not to!

Count me in!

Both of those new Airfix kits are arriving in good time for our event :) 

Hello @Col. ... I sadly must bow out of a few builds that I'm signed up for, including this one. I have to dismantle and store all of my stash, built kits, and move my office. This wasn't supposed to happen until Feburary originally.   

However that date has been creeping backwards. Last month that got pushed to January. Yesterday morning 22/11/18. I was informed i need to move everything next week. Then i have to figure out how to rebuild in a space 1/2 the size ? Ive been in a bad way today just trying to deal with it all. If i get back up and running in time i will join in at that time. 

Dennis

Does a Sea Fury count? And what about late Mark Seafires, both used in Korea? But they were on U.K. And Mediterranean based carriers at the beginning of the 50s. I'd love to do a Firebrand as my dad worked on them but getting hold of a kit is tricky, apart from the Sabre engined version which was only a prototype. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 825 said:

Does a Sea Fury count? And what about late Mark Seafires, both used in Korea? But they were on U.K. And Mediterranean based carriers at the beginning of the 50s. I'd love to do a Firebrand as my dad worked on them but getting hold of a kit is tricky, apart from the Sabre engined version which was only a prototype. 

Oh yes! :D Any front-line equipment in service within Europe from 2nd September 1945 until 31st December 1959 is good for this edition including Sea Fury, Seafire, and Firebrand.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Col. ... I sadly must bow out of a few builds that I'm signed up for, including this one. I have to dismantle and store all of my stash, built kits, and move my office. This wasn't supposed to happen until Feburary originally.   

However that date has been creeping backwards. Last month that got pushed to January. Yesterday morning 22/11/18. I was informed i need to move everything next week. Then i have to figure out how to rebuild in a space 1/2 the size ? Ive been in a bad way today just trying to deal with it all. If i get back up and running in time i will join in at that time. 

Dennis

I'm sorry to hear this Dennis. It sounds as if you've been messed about by other people quite badly here but I hope you can get re-established and into a more positive situation shortly.

• Thanks 1

Having participated in each of the other NATO v WP GBs - I was thinking that my stash contents might just let me down for this one. But I've just realised I've got an Airfix Fiat G-91 with an option for 1959.  

A real this selection, but hopefully scapes in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Having participated in each of the other NATO v WP GBs - I was thinking that my stash contents might just let me down for this one. But I've just realised I've got an Airfix Fiat G-91 with an option for 1959.  

A real this selection, but hopefully scapes in.

Yip, sounds fine to me, a front-line type within the timescale and area, all good :speak_cool:

• Thanks 1

Somehow this one slipped by my notice...or I assumed I had already chimed in (most likely).  😅

Assuming of course I can get some mojo back...I've got a couple in the stash (so Scalemates tells me) that will apply.  Don't know which yet...as they are all tempting in their own unique ways.  So I'll pencil in another GB I'll pretend to participate in and then not finish.  One day...one day...

Now to narrow it down...

- DH Vampire FB.52 (options of Norway-1948, Finland-1950, or Sweden-1953)

- Gloster Meteor PR Mk.10 (RAF Bukesberg Germany-1950 or RAF Benson-1957)

- Aero S-105 (Czech built MiG-19S Farmer-C) (Czech AF 0102-1959) or as a MiG-19S (Soviet AF)  The Czech option just seems more interesting to me of the 2.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Somehow this one slipped by my notice...or I assumed I had already chimed in (most likely).  😅

Assuming of course I can get some mojo back...I've got a couple in the stash (so Scalemates tells me) that will apply.  Don't know which yet...as they are all tempting in their own unique ways.  So I'll pencil in another GB I'll pretend to participate in and then not finish.  One day...one day...

Now to narrow it down...

- DH Vampire FB.52 (options of Norway-1948, Finland-1950, or Sweden-1953)

- Gloster Meteor PR Mk.10 (RAF Bukesberg Germany-1950 or RAF Benson-1957)

- Aero S-105 (Czech built MiG-19S Farmer-C) (Czech AF 0102-1959) or as a MiG-19S (Soviet AF)  The Czech option just seems more interesting to me of the 2.

One day soon, in a few months time ;) 

The Aero S-105 (MiG-19) gets my vote if that helps any.

• Like 2

I'm planning on entering this build with the ancient Italeri boxing of the RF-84F ideally in bare metal Belgian markings.  Does anyone know of any aftermarket must-haves for this kit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackAck said:

I'm planning on entering this build with the ancient Italeri boxing of the RF-84F ideally in bare metal Belgian markings.  Does anyone know of any aftermarket must-haves for this kit?

You could try this or this  :whistle:

Edited by Wez
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BlackAck said:

From what I read about this kit it needed a bit of work around the nose, intakes, and on the fairing under the tail to make more accurate as well as having a rather basic interior. Altough I'm sure it can still be recognised as an RF-84F when built unmodified ;) 

1 hour ago, Wez said:

You could try this or this  :whistle:

Bad Wez! :lol:

• Thanks 1

Okay, I've come to a decision on my builds.

A 1/72 Swift F.2 using the Airfix kit as a base with resin conversion parts from Alley Cat.

A 1/72  Venom NF.3

If it is released in time (fingers crossed)  an Airfix 1/48 Hunter F6.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Okay, I've come to a decision on my builds.

A 1/72 Swift F.2 using the Airfix kit as a base with resin conversion parts from Alley Cat.

A 1/72  Venom NF.3

If it is released in time (fingers crossed)  an Airfix 1/48 Hunter F6.

All good in the 'hood :thumbsup:

Will the Swift be in silver or camouflaged?

It's an F2, so it will be camouflaged.   The F1s were High Speed Silver.

I'm trying not to over commit to builds in 2019.  anyone who points out that a standard Swift FR.5 would make a nice comparison build will simply get a :bleh:  from me. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's an F2, so it will be camouflaged.   The F1s were High Speed Silver.

I'm trying not to over commit to builds in 2019.  anyone who points out that a standard Swift FR.5 would make a nice comparison build will simply get a :bleh:  from me. 

Not being a particular fan of the Fat Lump (oops did I type that out loud?) I mean Swift that shows the sadly lacking extent of my knowledge on the subject.

• Haha 3