50s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

2 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Great news!! I'm in but not a clue what to build.

Will have a 'Google' and then see what kits fit the bill (and then go shopping)

Any suggestions / recommendations are more than welcome :whistle:

Well this period marks the point were piston engined aircraft reached their ultimate zenith and the jet age came in with a (sonic) bang! So you can build anything from a late mark Spitfire or Tempest, P-51, Yak-11, to a Hunter or P/F-80, F-100, MiG-19 etc. Ground forces also seen a vast array of equipment changing and new ideas being brought into service so there really is a huge range of colourful and interesting options, both by way of markings and in a geo-political sense, open to us.

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Well this period marks the point were piston engined aircraft reached their ultimate zenith and the jet age came in with a (sonic) bang! So you can build anything from a late mark Spitfire or Tempest, P-51, Yak-11, to a Hunter or P/F-80, F-100, MiG-19 etc. Ground forces also seen a vast array of equipment changing and new ideas being brought into service so there really is a huge range of colourful and interesting options, both by way of markings and in a geo-political sense, open to us.

So one or two options then? :laugh:

I'll definitely have a 'Google' !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ijs302 said:

Hi room for another this will be my first gb  not sure what to build yet but a good excuse to go to my lms  ian

Always room for another :) 

Delighted to hear you're joining us for your first GB. Remember this one is open to any front-line military equipment used by both sides in Europe from the end of World War Two in mid-1945 until the end of December 1959 including troop transport and first aid duties.

gosh I really have no idea what to build for this one! :blink:

I had originally thought a Luftwaffe Sabre Mk.5 or 6, but that seems a bit too common for me, I want something a bit more unusual. Unfortunately most of or a lot of the stuff I may like are in NMF finish!!! and that an't going to happen.

So will have to get the thinking cap on for this one.

18 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I had originally thought a Luftwaffe Sabre Mk.5 or 6, but that seems a bit too common for me, I want something a bit more unusual. Unfortunately most of or a lot of the stuff I may like are in NMF finish!!! and that an't going to happen.

Now Rich, I've seen your skillful work, natural metal painting should hold no fear for you! I'm told the new AK Interactive paints are a joy to work with in comparison to old enamels than never dried or even Alclad. There was still plenty stuff going about in camouflage with big propellors on the front at this time so I'm thinking a 602 squadron Mk.21/22/24 Spitfire or perhaps a MiG-15 at the moment. What does your stash hold?

On 11/4/2018 at 9:12 AM, trickyrich said:

For a less usual Sabre you could build an Italian or Greek one. Italian Sabre Mk.4s were originally in the RAF scheme, so no need for alclads or similar paints for this one.

• Like 1

I think I've found what to build, a German Army M-42A1!! (a Duster if you didn't know).

It'll go nicely along with the ZSU-57-2, plus it'll suit a theme I'm interested in, plus I can add lots of interesting stuff to it, FruilModel tracks, Voyager PE set..... :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I think I've found what to build, a German Army M-42A1!! (a Duster if you didn't know).

It'll go nicely along with the ZSU-57-2, plus it'll suit a theme I'm interested in, plus I can add lots of interesting stuff to it, FruilModel tracks, Voyager PE set..... :D

A cracking counterpart to the 'Zoo' indeed. Is that the AFV Club kit you have Rich?

Given my penchant for building old kits in GBs I will be building the old Airfix F-86D and F-84F with the UK based schemes included in the kits (provided the decals don't disintigrate - Microscale products to the rescue hopefully!).

On 11/4/2018 at 8:35 AM, Col. said:

so I'm thinking a 602 squadron Mk.21/22/24 Spitfire

Awesome, I love seeing 602 Sqn aircraft built :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Is it too late for me to throw my hat into the ring?

I'm not the quickest model-maker and I've not been part of a group build before but I've watched several others unfold and it looks like fun. I have a Saunders Roe SR53 (Rocketeer) in my modest stash and initially thought about entering that, but it was never a frontline aircraft because it suffered a similar fate to TSR2. If I can join, I'll have to think about something else.

9 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Given my penchant for building old kits in GBs I will be building the old Airfix F-86D and F-84F with the UK based schemes included in the kits (provided the decals don't disintigrate - Microscale products to the rescue hopefully!).

Awesome, I love seeing 602 Sqn aircraft built :thumbsup:

Cool. The F-86D was a great kit from what I remember and think the F-84F was a good one as well. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

As for the 602 Sqn aircraft; only have a couple Mk.1 Spitfire done so far but want to bookend that era with a 21, 22, and 24 then add a Vampire and Magister as well as plenty other types to the line-up :) Depending on timing I'm thinking the Magister would be a good option for the Trainers GB.

9 minutes ago, Timmas said:

Is it too late for me to throw my hat into the ring?

I'm not the quickest model-maker and I've not been part of a group build before but I've watched several others unfold and it looks like fun. I have a Saunders Roe SR53 (Rocketeer) in my modest stash and initially thought about entering that, but it was never a frontline aircraft because it suffered a similar fate to TSR2. If I can join, I'll have to think about something else.

Welcome to your first GB Timmas :D Feel free to join in at any point during the running period as you'll be made most welcome. Alas the SR53 was not, as you say, a front-line type so is not eligible for this GB but anything that had a front line role in the period from post-war 1945 until 1959 within Europe is good. So late mark Spitfires, Tempest, Mustang, French Fw-190, Avia-built Me-262, Sea Fury, Mig-9/15/17/19, P-80, C-47, An-2, La-9/11... the list is a long one but sure you get the idea and if you have any questions please ask :) 

• Like 1

Ok so I picked this up today for $5.00. It was another of my Unicorn models since I’ve come back. 

5UYF3fJ.jpg

Turns out i have the markings to do the 77th F.I.S. Based in the U.K. 

“In May 1952, the 77th and the 20th were reassigned to RAF Wethersfield, England.”

This is what i will be building for the build. Yes i will be mounting the Device on the wing. 

Dennis

🔷

United States Air Forces in Europe, 31 May 1952 (remained attached to 49th Air Division)

Third Air Force, 5 June 1952 (remained attached to 49th Air Division until 1 July 1956)

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Are Stradishall and Waterbeach considered to be "front line" for the purposes of this GB? 

They most certainly are :D