50s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

Gone away for a cheeky skiing holiday and as a last minute thought threw a kit and some basic tools into the case....good thing too as I managed to smash myself up on the third run and spent the rest of the day in hospital 😟. Anyway my question is whether an Eduard Mig 15bis from Jag 11 in East Germany in 1956 qualified for this GB.  The reason I ask is that the Eduard blurb refers to Jag 11 as a training unit.  If so am I outside the scope of this build?

Col word of wisdom please.  Very relaxed if the answer is no.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Davek72 said:

Gone away for a cheeky skiing holiday and as a last minute thought threw a kit and some basic tools into the case....good thing too as I managed to smash myself up on the third run and spent the rest of the day in hospital 😟. Anyway my question is whether an Eduard Mig 15bis from Jag 11 in East Germany in 1956 qualified for this GB.  The reason I ask is that the Eduard blurb refers to Jag 11 as a training unit.  If so am I outside the scope of this build?

Col word of wisdom please.  Very relaxed if the answer is no.

Oops. Bad news Dave :( No lasting damage done I hope?

Best get that kit out and crack on. Jag 11 would have pretty soon found themselves on the front line had the Cold War turned hot ;)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Col. said:

Oops. Bad news Dave :( No lasting damage done I hope?

Best get that kit out and crack on. Jag 11 would have pretty soon found themselves on the front line had the Cold War turned hot ;)

Cheers Col.   Nothing that won’t heal but I won’t be skiing this week...stupid, stupid....still silver lining and all that means I will have a bit of modelling time...will be minimalist work as I literally have 4 paints, a scalpel, glue and a file...

• Like 2

On 2/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, Davek72 said:

Cheers Col.   Nothing that won’t heal but I won’t be skiing this week...stupid, stupid....still silver lining and all that means I will have a bit of modelling time...will be minimalist work as I literally have 4 paints, a scalpel, glue and a file...

I'm sure that'll be enough to keep you sane Dave ;) 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @Col. ... Did i read in one of the threads that yesterday was your B-day ? If so Happy Belated Birthday Wishes. 🎂🎉 

It was indeed thank you :D

6 hours ago, ijs302 said:

HI just a quick question could i get away with a daimler dingo , not sure if they were still used in the 1950's by the army   thanks ian

Im not sure if @Col. will allow it but from Wiki.

”The Dingo was first used by the British Expeditionary Force (1st Armoured Division and 4th Royal Northumberland Fusiliers) during the Battle of France. It turned out to be so successful that no replacement was sought until 1952 with the production of the Daimler Ferret.”

Seems like they stayed in use. Just not sure where ? 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ijs302 said:

HI just a quick question could i get away with a daimler dingo , not sure if they were still used in the 1950's by the army   thanks ian

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im not sure if @Col. will allow it but from Wiki.

”The Dingo was first used by the British Expeditionary Force (1st Armoured Division and 4th Royal Northumberland Fusiliers) during the Battle of France. It turned out to be so successful that no replacement was sought until 1952 with the production of the Daimler Ferret.”

Seems like they stayed in use. Just not sure where ? 

Dennis

The GB includes anything in-service during the period running from the end of WW.II to 31st December 1959, so if you can find markings for one during that period it's eligible.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2019 at 3:57 PM, helios16v said:

I need more time in the day....  😭

I know that feeling :( 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:23 PM, ijs302 said:

Yes if you can find one that was used after mid-1945 :) I do know that they were used for airfield defence in occupied Germany for a while at least but of course now can't find the photograph to prove it when I need it. If you can find evidence of a post-war example I'd be delighted to see you do it fir this GB.

While I'm not an AFV fan at all, I was intrigued to find out what a "Dingo" was

After a bit of googling found this

http://www.daimler-fighting-vehicles.co.uk/DFV-File Part By - History 1945-1970's BAOR.pdf

Looks like they were used in BAOR till the late 60's, some nice period pics there as well if you scroll about

Lot more info on the main site as well

http://www.daimler-fighting-vehicles.co.uk/

Ian

• Thanks 1

I've got an Academy F-86F in 1/72, started but I'd like to add it to this GB as an incentive to complete it. It's well below 25% completed. I've been searching hannants for a set of decals, found some for a Greek F-86E I might use, was there any major differences visually between the E and F? 

1 hour ago, Blitz23 said:

I've got an Academy F-86F in 1/72, started but I'd like to add it to this GB as an incentive to complete it. It's well below 25% completed. I've been searching hannants for a set of decals, found some for a Greek F-86E I might use, was there any major differences visually between the E and F? 

Greek Sabre's were Sabre 2's with the hard wing leading and wing fence, they are broadly equivalent to the F-86E(M), @Giorgio N  is building this kit in this thread here as an Italian ex-RAF Mk4.

The major obvious difference between the Sabre 2 and the 4 is the windscreen, the 2's had the earlier more streamlined type commonly referred to as the Vee-type windscreen because of its shape, it was used on A and early E models (the latter of which the Sabre 2 is an equivalent).  Duncan @Sabrejet  has been converting the 1/48th Academy F into an A and describes the windscreen differences very well with lots of helpful reference pictures,  His thread is here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wez said:

Greek Sabre's were Sabre 2's with the hard wing leading and wing fence, they are broadly equivalent to the F-86E(M), @Giorgio N  is building this kit in this thread here as an Italian ex-RAF Mk4.

The major obvious difference between the Sabre 2 and the 4 is the windscreen, the 2's had the earlier more streamlined type commonly referred to as the Vee-type windscreen because of its shape, it was used on A and early E models (the latter of which the Sabre 2 is an equivalent).  Duncan @Sabrejet  has been converting the 1/48th Academy F into an A and describes the windscreen differences very well with lots of helpful reference pictures,  His thread is here.

Thanks Wez for the info!

• Like 1

Just now, PhantomBigStu said:

Well that's my three in the gallery, though doubt I'm done yet, if I can get that airfix canberra there might be a fourth......

A Canberra would be a great addition if you do find one Stu :thumbsup:

Cockpit & gun barrel/pitot detail kits ordered for the Aero S-105.  Hopefully it'll make its way to the hangar for assembly in the next couple weeks.  I'll have to see if I can keep it "simple" and just try to get one knocked out.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I jumped into the GB section hoping to find a KUTA GB, but no. Buttocks.

I really shouldnt buy and start another box of bits, but would a Meteor FR9 be ok should I have my arm twisted? It would sit well in my II Squadron collection....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RMP2 said:

I jumped into the GB section hoping to find a KUTA GB, but no. Buttocks.

I really shouldnt buy and start another box of bits, but would a Meteor FR9 be ok should I have my arm twisted? It would sit well in my II Squadron collection....

That would look rather good in your II Sqn. collection, wouldn't it... ;) 

• Like 1