50s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

So just to clarify, post WW2 1945 to 1950 is included? If so I assume I can build something captured and pressed into service post war. For example, the French used various German aircraft post war and also armour, the Panther actually served the French army longer than it served the Germans! Romania also had a division of Panthers handed to them by the Soviets. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 3:15 PM, Brad said:

So just to clarify, post WW2 1945 to 1950 is included? If so I assume I can build something captured and pressed into service post war. For example, the French used various German aircraft post war and also armour, the Panther actually served the French army longer than it served the Germans! Romania also had a division of Panthers handed to them by the Soviets. 

Yes that's correct Brad. Any front-line equipment in service from the end of WWII through to the end of the 50s is good for this edition. Thus the ex-German Panthers in Romanian service or the various ex-German types used in the French Air Force are eligible :) 

• Like 1

I'm actually going to be home for the start of this GB, can't wait!

My 1/32nd Panther finally arrived but unfortunately the instructions are missing, so much for the "New, unopened model" description!!! I've e-mail the manufacturer, but with the place burning down in the massive fires in LA, I'm not sure on when or if I'll get them. The model is a wee bit complex to build without, so she won't show up for this GB unfortunately.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I'm actually going to be home for the start of this GB, can't wait!

My 1/32nd Panther finally arrived but unfortunately the instructions are missing, so much for the "New, unopened model" description!!! I've e-mail the manufacturer, but with the place burning down in the massive fires in LA, I'm not sure on when or if I'll get them. The model is a wee bit complex to build without, so she won't show up for this GB unfortunately.

Yay!

Oh :( No chance anyone else may have a spare copy to send you or scan across for the Panther?

Hi all

Hope you’ve all had a good Christmas. Just trying to narrow down my choices for this one.

The list, all 1/48 -

Airfix Spitfire xix 

Airfix Meteor F8 

Hasegawa Skyhawk from the USS Intrepid’s Med cruise of 1958 with a bid green arrow down the side of the fuselage.

Tamiya Mosquito converted to an NF36 with Freightdog decals.

Belgian or French AF Thunderjet, or both. Tamiya and/or Monogram kits.

So far the Spitfire is probably the front runner because it’s straight forward and I’ve got my name down for loads of GB’s this but we’ll see. And then of course there’s always that subject that appears from nowhere at the last minute!

What do you think?

James

17 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Hi all

Hope you’ve all had a good Christmas. Just trying to narrow down my choices for this one.

The list, all 1/48 -

Airfix Spitfire xix 

Airfix Meteor F8 

Hasegawa Skyhawk from the USS Intrepid’s Med cruise of 1958 with a bid green arrow down the side of the fuselage.

Tamiya Mosquito converted to an NF36 with Freightdog decals.

Belgian or French AF Thunderjet, or both. Tamiya and/or Monogram kits.

So far the Spitfire is probably the front runner because it’s straight forward and I’ve got my name down for loads of GB’s this but we’ll see. And then of course there’s always that subject that appears from nowhere at the last minute!

What do you think?

James

Any or, as Enzo will say, all of these sound good James :) 

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Yay!

Oh :( No chance anyone else may have a spare copy to send you or scan across for the Panther?

I'm not even sure how to go about finding a set. It was their first full model release in resin quite a few years ago, I think they may have even done a second release.

I'm trying on a couple of sites to see if anyone can help me.

2 minutes ago, Oriskany said:

Probably i am in this GB having a small choice of correct subjects:Danish RF -84, Italian F-51 Mustang or Italian F-47 Thunderbolt...😉

All sound great to me but the F-47 in Italian colours is something I've not seen before :speak_cool:

• Like 1

Yes, F-47 with Italian markings are not very often represented by modellers.
If this will be the choice, i'll start from Jugs over Germany Eduard's  1/48 edition (with a lot of resin and PE sets inside), with Tauro decals regarding 5th or 51st Stormo at the beginning of the fifties

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 12:19 PM, Giorgio N said:

Love the scheme on that F-84F, reminds me of how I used to browse through the old Squadron's "USAF Europe in Color" books, watchin how colourful all subjects were. This GB is going to see a lot of colour !

Hmmm thinking more to do something Warpak... any color as ling as Silver/ Aluminium for jers I guess!

What is out there?? MiG15 up to 21.. Yak something..hmmmm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, exdraken said:

Hmmm thinking more to do something Warpak... any color as ling as Silver/ Aluminium for jers I guess!

What is out there?? MiG15 up to 21.. Yak something..hmmmm

Da commrade :D 

Think the MiG-3 was still around in '45 and the MiG-9 came before the -15 as well ;)

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hmmm nit sure yet shat do do....Yugoslavia is out of scope I assume.... I'd have a F-84G....with LiftHere decals....

Hmm that raises an interesting point. Given that we are dealing with a 15 year period in which the story of NATO and the Warsaw Pact begins I think those nations which eventually chose to remain neutral still have a place. So if nobody has any objections I'm happy to see equipment used by the likes of Yugoslavia, Sweden, etc. featuring in this edition of the GB. After all both the Soviet Union and Western nations were actively supplying weapons to them as well as attempting to gain favour and influence during this time.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Quick question Col, are trainers admitted to the GB as I fancy a post war T-6 Harvard/Texan.

If not I might well do an F-51 Mustang, or something else entirely!

Pure trainers are not eligible Craig but any trainer with a weapons capability that would have allowed it a secondary combat role is :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Col, the fact that the likes of Yugoslavia and Sweden are now eligible opens up some very interesting possibilities!

Hopefully we'll see a few unusual schemes from those nations if anyone wishes to choose subjects from them and perhaps even some of their surrounding history.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Col. said:

Hopefully we'll see a few unusual schemes from those nations if anyone wishes to choose subjects from them and perhaps even some of their surrounding history.

I'm sure we will see some nice models from those nations.

I think I've settled on something Yugoslav but now I have to choose which subject!

I have decals for F-86's, F-84's, Bf-109's, IL-2's, P-47's and Mosquitos. At the moment the 2 front runners are the Bf-109 (most likely an ex-Bulgarian G-10 in grey and brown camo) and a Mosquito FB VI which I will tweak the serial number of to make it one built at Standard Motors near Coventry as I used to work on the site they were built on. There is also an over all black NF.38 night fighter which is tempting, and no before anyone suggests it (you know who you are!) I will not be building all of them!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2018 at 12:49 AM, Col. said:

Think the MiG-3 was still around in '45 

Yes, but as written in http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/mig3.html

"The last MiG-3s were written off due to wear at the very end of the war."

Therefore, it seems to me, the MiG-3 was and remains a 2WW aircraft.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:49 AM, Col. said:

and the MiG-9 

Yeeep,  with Stalin:

27-2.jpg

B.w. this  is the only known at the time photo-verified version of the service MiG-9! But this is a parade.

All this art:

27-6.jpg

o4-2.jpg

e.t.c. don't photo-verified....

MiG-9 which have a photo verification or refer to the training airfield in Kharkov, or to the technical school, or is it the MiG-9 from the film which is now in Monino.

Also, as I recall @exdraken maked in 48th scale? But in 48th scale have only full resin kit from AirKit, "Mars models"   not yet made and the timing of its release is not known. By the way, for the first time on the Internet, MiG-9 with Stalin was posted my on forum website Rumodelizm. So I'm to some extent the  "God father" 😎

1.jpg

of this MiG-9😁. But the problem is that the quality of the video allows you to consider the flag and the presence of a portrait. Most likely it was a portrait of Stalin, but it could also be a double profile Stalin and Lenin. Therefore, this option is also a mystery.

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2018 at 10:47 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

A 1/72 Swift F.2 using the Airfix kit as a base with resin conversion parts from Alley Cat.

In the course of studying photos

Swift F.2/F.4

on the Internet, I got the impression that the conversion from Alley Cat has a too thin nose. I guess the version Swift FR.5

had a thinner nose than clear fighters

Swift F.2/F.4.

These are my assumptions. It seems to me that the error was made when viewed from above, therefore, in profile, the nose looks correct and from above it is too thin.

Despite this, a

conversion from Alley Cat good set!

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

B.w.  these planes

89e70214b54e.jpg

2.4AvianosecTriumfvLeningrade1.jpg

http://polzam.ru/index.php/istorii/item/4-avianosets-v-neve

on the HMS Triumph standing in the very center of Leningrad city in 1955, were they fully training or could they carry bombs?

This was the second visit of HMS Triumph to the USSR! The first was in Kronstadt in 1946:

https://john5r.livejournal.com/368158.html

There are even photos of RN playing football with Soviet Navy in

Kronstadt:

210.jpg

211.jpg

212.jpg

29.jpg

but the photos of the planes HMS Triumph

in Kronstadt in 1946 are not known to me.

• Like 3