50s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

What say thee gang? We've done the 80s and 70s editions of this theme and will be doing the 60s later this year so perhaps now is the time to start talking about the 50s.

This time around I propose a slight difference in that we expand slightly beyond the single decade and run from late-45 to 1959. The post-World War II 45 to 59 period will give us a broad range of interesting subjects and track a transition in not only technology but also politics and society across our geographical area as well as covering the birth of both NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

1, Col.

2, John D.C. Masters

3, Wez

4, Sabre_days

5, franky boy

6, DAG058

7, Giorgio N

8, shatters

9, Arniec

10, Creepy Pete

11, CliffB

12, zebra

13, modelling minion

14, SleeperService

15, TEMPESTMK5

16, Angus Tura

17, IanHx

18, trickyrich

19, Lord Riot

20, Rodders154

21, Hewy

22, Grandboof

23, rafalbert

24, Sgt.Squarehead

25, PhantomBigStu

26, Corsairfoxfouruncle

27, Redstaff

28, wimbledon99

29, spaddad

30, Stew Dapple

31, ...

• Like 1

Yes please, count me in, lots of lovely RAF stuff for this period, Spitfire, Mosquito, Tempest, Hornet, Meteor, Vampire, Canberra, Venom, Sabre, Hunter, Swift, Javelin, Valiant, Vulcan and Victor almost too many choices -  I think It'll be able to find something!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Please count me in...definitely down for a 439 Squadron Sabre, maybe Sabres from a few other RCAF units as well. Could also be a good excuse to build an RCN Avenger from HMCS Magnificent's airwing...maybe a Banshee / Tracker combination from Bonaventure's airwing...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Count me in!

:thumbsup: Will do John.

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Yes please, count me in, lots of lovely RAF stuff for this period, Spitfire, Mosquito, Tempest, Hornet, Meteor, Vampire, Canberra, Venom, Sabre, Hunter, Swift, Javelin, Valiant, Vulcan and Victor almost too many choices -  I think It'll be able to find something!

:thumbsup: There really is a massive variety of subjects across this era.

3 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

Please count me in...definitely down for a 439 Squadron Sabre, maybe Sabres from a few other RCAF units as well. Could also be a good excuse to build an RCN Avenger from HMCS Magnificent's airwing...maybe a Banshee / Tracker combination from Bonaventure's airwing...

:thumbsup: So long as it was floating or flying around our area it's all good :D

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Great idea Col, please count me in.

I thought it was hard choosing something for the 60's but looking Wez's list above this will be even more difficult!

James

:thumbsup: Aye we'll have a huge variety of potential subjects available for this one!

I better start a list of names :)

21 hours ago, DAG058 said:

Go on @Col., I'll bite again. I am yet to start my 70's build though so bare with me :lol:

8 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Having signed in for all the previous ones, I am of course interested ! Pleade add me to the list

That I never managed to complete anything in any of the previous similar GBs is of course another story... :lol:

Great to have you both joining in again lads :) We'll say nothing about my past record of finishing kits for GBs either if that's okay :(

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Arniec said:

I am in as well. Will see with what to build  later.

Cheers,

Excellent! Added your name to the list Arnold :) 

46 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Me too please Col.  I've got a creaky old 50s vintage Thunderstreak kit which should do nicely.

Cheers

Cliff

Cool. Great to hear you're joining in the fun Cliff :D 

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Count me in. Not sure what I’d build, probably something British, maybe a postwar Spitfire

With pleasure zebra :) 

The good thing about this GB will be tracing the rapid changes from the immediate post-war to the height of the Cold War and all the technological advances which occured in that short space of time. From an aviation point of view that means from the ultimate piston engined fighters and their problems with the 'sound barrier' to Mach 2 and beyond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Be silly not to join in as I've taken part in all the others.

Not sure what to build but I'm sure I'll find something interesting, probably a WWII vintage a/c still in use in the 50's, plenty to choose from.

Cool, glad to hear from you for this one as well, there's certainly a wide variety of potential subjects including those WWII vintage equipment which was captured or copied and pressed into service by various nations.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Me! Me! Me!

92 Squadrom Meteor F4 please. In 1/48 and, as always, won't be finished on time :D

Nice to hear from you on this one Nick :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Col

Count me in please ..

Cheers

Patrice

I have done so with great pleasure Patrice :) 

• Like 1