50s NATO Vs Warsaw Pact in Europe GB Chat

17 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

Lovely. Count me in please,

Alan

Of course Alan, with pleasure, any thoughts on a particular subject yet?

3 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

Some of the huge stock pile of vampires that I couldn't squeeze in to the 1960s build!

Maybe very late/PR Scottish-themed spitfire.

Alan

Either or, as Enzo tells us, both of those sound great :thumbsup: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

COL!!!!!!!!  :angrysoapbox.sml:  :rage:

I had been avoiding the GB Chat section for just this reason......another GB I'm interested in! God knows what I'll build but I guess you'd better could me in as well.

Not sure what I have in the stash, but I do have a 1/48th resin F-86D? Not sure if they were used in Europe, guess someone can answer that for me, still don't have my library back! :crying:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

but I do have a 1/48th resin F-86D? Not sure if they were used in Europe

Rich,

You're in luck, F-86D's were indeed used in Europe, some USAF ones were based in Germany and the Netherlands IIRC, I'll have a rummage later and see if I can dig out the references.

Even so, you know you want to join this GB!  :wicked:

Edited by Wez
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

COL!!!!!!!!  :angrysoapbox.sml:  :rage:

I had been avoiding the GB Chat section for just this reason......another GB I'm interested in! God knows what I'll build but I guess you'd better could me in as well.

Not sure what I have in the stash, but I do have a 1/48th resin F-86D? Not sure if they were used in Europe, guess someone can answer that for me, still don't have my library back! :crying:

Caught you! :lol:  Did wonder why you'd been quiet about this one but here you are now so that's all good :) 

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

Rich,

You're in luck, F-86D's were indeed used in Europe, some USAF ones were based in Germany and the Netherlands IIRC, I'll have a rummage later and see if I can dig out the references.

Nice one Wez. See Rich, there's no escaping now, you know you have to join this GB ;) 

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

Rich,

yes I know I do!!

I went looking as well, but I was mainly interested in the F-86K as I really want to build the Luftwaffe version, but these weren't operational until 1960. I have the Collect-Aire version which comes with two fuselages, one for the D/L versions and the other for the K version. They supply the long wings so you just cut them back for the short wing D. I may just build this one for the NATO 60's GB. 

• Like 1

Just now, trickyrich said:

I have the Collect-Aire version which comes with two fuselages, one for the D/L versions and the other for the K version. They supply the long wings so you just cut them back for the short wing D. I may just build this one for the NATO 60's GB. 

Good choice!

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

...I was mainly interested in the F-86K as I really want to build the Luftwaffe version, but these weren't operational until 1960. I have the Collect-Aire version which comes with two fuselages, one for the D/L versions and the other for the K version. They supply the long wings so you just cut them back for the short wing D. I may just build this one for the NATO 60's GB. 

Sounds a good plan to me Rich and I'm sure you've some other choices in the stash to cover this edition. Remember we're going from VJ Day 1945 to 31st December 1959 so its scope is slightly wider than previous editions and if there isn't anything in the stash there'll be time to gather something cool before this one is through the end of year vote and finds a position within the calendar :) 

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

yes I know I do!!

I went looking as well, but I was mainly interested in the F-86K as I really want to build the Luftwaffe version, but these weren't operational until 1960. I have the Collect-Aire version which comes with two fuselages, one for the D/L versions and the other for the K version. They supply the long wings so you just cut them back for the short wing D. I may just build this one for the NATO 60's GB. 

Have a good look at the wings. As I know from my two builds in the past. The Dutch versions started with short wings and later in their life they got the long ones. The give away with Dutch ones was that when you saw it with sidewinder pylons it had the long wing. I don't know about the Germans though. It could also be that they were already delivered with the long wings?! So do a good research before you put a saw in it. I hope I haven't scared you off.  You can always put this one inthe 60's GB that starts in July. ;) O, for this GB you can always do a normal Sabre in German camo.:P

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

no the Luftwaffe first received F-86K's with the short wings, but later ones had the long wing. The early ones were eventually modified to have the long wings. To save cutting up good resin (and I never do that! :whistle:  :D) I'll do a long wing version. Ultimately I want this one to go along side a Hartmann F-86 or more correctly Canadair Sabre Mk.50 Jg 71, which might be a possibility for this GB (entered service 1959?). Eventually there'll be a 109 to go with it.

• Like 1

Chaps, although I've been on here a while, I'm not exactly sure what is meant by a 'group build'. What are the rules, and can anyone join in? 50s (and 60s) RAF is my thing!

xeq2rk.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 2

GB's are easy to join.  Since you are a fan of the 1950s RAF, why not jump into the 100 Years of the RAF GB?  Just go to the 'Group Builds' section of the forum and there is a RAF Centenary thread.  Read up on the rules and start a build thread of your own.  Lots of fun all around!

-John

On 11/04/2018 at 7:05 PM, Lord Riot said:

Chaps, although I've been on here a while, I'm not exactly sure what is meant by a 'group build'. What are the rules, and can anyone join in? 50s (and 60s) RAF is my thing!

xeq2rk.jpg

First of all, nice line-up! :thumbsup: 

Every Group Build is basically a group of us getting together to build subjects on a common theme during a set timescale, so in this case any frontline military hardwear deployed in Europe from immediately after the end of World War Two until the end of 1959, offering mutual support and having a laugh as we share our progress through the build threads then showing the finished articles in a gallery before having a poll at the end that allows us to choose (if we wish) a favourite. Anyone can join so long as their subject kit is no more than 25% progressed and fits within the broad theme.

I'll pop your name into the list of interested parties and while this is no binding contract that forces you to participate should the GB make it through the November poll to choose next year's GB subject list it will help us make that poll and be eligible for voting :) 

In the meantime there are, as John says, other GBs you are most welcome to take part in which suit your area of interest including the current RAF Centenary GB and the forthcoming 60's edition of the NATO Vs Warpact in Europe GB

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks Col, that's great! I'll find something suitable in the stash for this GB I'm sure.

21 hours ago, Rodders154 said:

Please add me

Thinking of doing a pie e of armour plenty to choose from 

Rodders 

Added your names to the list gents :) 

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Hewy said:

I'll join in this one col, sounds interesting 

Glynn 

Cool. I'll add your name to the list Glynn. There's certainly plenty subjects available over the period we'll be covering :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Yes please Plenty to choose from 

Martin H

7 hours ago, rafalbert said:

I'll come and play if I may, I have plenty in the stash 😜

Welcome aboard lads :D