Daco - Skyline 737-400 Now BA "Chatham"

FortyEighter

My third entry into this group build will be a Daco / Skyline 737-400.  As yet, I'm not sure which livery but it might be a third "Bluebird"

Anyway, the usual shots so that I can get on with the build (sorry they are a bit out of focus):

20180205_181720

20180205_181805

20180205_181739

Edited by FortyEighter
Title changed
  • Like 3

Nose weighted and fuselage closed, the top seam required very little work but a bit more will be necessary on the lower seam

20180211_142640

A dry fit of the wings gives an excellent joint when upper / lower sections are used on their own but leaves gaps when the complete wing is tried - the root moulding on fuselage is slightly larger than the inside of the wing root??  Am wondering if an alternative would be to not glue the two wing sections together at the root end and then to fill the wing edge instead of wing / fuselage joint??

• Like 1

Having looked carefully at Skodadriver's thread, have attached my wings......

this looks worse in photo than in real life

20180213_163017

underside shouldn't need much tidying (wheel well cover yet to be attached)

20180213_163104

work needed on leading edge BUT I'm intending to use Authentic Decals 3D landing lights, so can fill and re-shape - also managed to damage the small section of upper wing inboard of the light

20180213_163038

PS still filling / sanding on the 737-200

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I've sorted out the above issues and now have the main airframe primed

20180304_151630

After a final check for any imperfections it will be time for painting - my aim is to get all of my current group builds to that stage by the end of the month and then use April for the decals.

• Like 8

It's looking very tidy now. Good plan to get all the painting done, and then a mass decalling session.

I've started to cut parts off the sprue for my Daco 300, but not progressed it beyond that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As with the two "Bluebirds" this has now got all the white and blue applied - at least the kit comes with decals for the coroguard:D

20180405_18235120180405_182438

I'm still waiting for the decals to arrive from France - as you might guess another BlueBird will appear, albeit with some red on the fin too - identity to be revealed.............

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Have now got as far as I can without applying decals:

Hmmmm, having problems uploading photo........

It's now over five weeks since ordering from F-Dcal and order is still showing "Preparation in progress" and two emails seeking an estimated dispatch date are unanswered.

So, either wait for delivery and it will be finished after the Group Build - or use a spare set of "Chatham" decals.  But then I'd need to buy another Daco kit at some point.........

On 4/5/2018 at 10:24 PM, FortyEighter said:

Halfords Fiat Capri Blue - recommended by a fellow Britmodeller for the current BA livery, but I can't remember who.

I think it might have been me!  

F-DCAL really aren't doing themselves any favours just now.  I've been a regular customer since they started out which must be about fifteen years ago but I've had a couple of bad experiences recently and now I'll only order from them if there is absolutely no alternative.

I know you've done the scheme already but I have the old Liveries Unlimited "Blue Poole" 737-400/500 sheet in my decal stash and I'll probably never use it.  Drop me a pm if it's of any interest.

Dave G

• Like 1

Well, this is almost there - just some touch up work needed on aerials and pitots.  Oh yes, also the port wingtip light pinged off the tweezers - never to be seen again!

Although Philippe at F-Dcal has been in touch apologising for my order getting overlooked it was obvious that my choice of "Chelsea Rose" (another World Tail) would not arrive in time for the deadline, so I decided to use a set of 26Decals Chatham livery.

A few photos:

20180503_121507

20180503_121635

20180503_121542

20180503_121613

• Like 4

Very nice Mike! I quite like this current BA livery and you've captured it well.

I've never worked out why many BA aircraft have a black ring around the nose, what's the point of it?

Do you need another port wingtip light? I think I have some spares, pm me if you do.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Very nice Mike! I quite like this current BA livery and you've captured it well.

I've never worked out why many BA aircraft have a black ring around the nose, what's the point of it?

Do you need another port wingtip light? I think I have some spares, pm me if you do.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, will get in touch if I need the light, I'm sure it can go in the Gallery without it.

As for the ring, who knows!  Also, I don't know when BA plated over the cockpit "skylights" but I did find a photo of DOCH with both ring and "skylights".

Mike