Panel Lines

Bolosun

Hi,

what paints/washes/etc do you use to highlight the panel lines on your cars/bikes/truck models. I have seen on-line what to use for planes etc, but before I go down that path was curious what everyone else uses.

Cheers Dave

I just us a very thin wash of tamiya acrylics over a varnish base of some kind. Usually Galleria or Klear in my case.

I thin the paint with W&N Flow Improver, the Tamiya X20 can be a bit too aggressive, and can lift the varnish.

Build it up if too thin.

I apply straight to the panel line with a very small brush.

Oil paints, thinned, also work very well, but I find I need to apply over a high gloss coat. But this allows a lot more time to tweak and if you get it wrong you can clean up with white spirits.

Just like doing aircraft really!

Both systems works for me.

Rick.

4 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

I just us a very thin wash of tamiya acrylics over a varnish base of some kind. Usually Galleria or Klear in my case.

I thin the paint with W&N Flow Improver, the Tamiya X20 can be a bit too aggressive, and can lift the varnish.

Build it up if too thin.

I apply straight to the panel line with a very small brush.

Oil paints, thinned, also work very well, but I find I need to apply over a high gloss coat. But this allows a lot more time to tweak and if you get it wrong you can clean up with white spirits.

Just like doing aircraft really!

Both systems works for me.

Rick.

Cheers will give that a go. I have given the model 3 coats of clear, so will let it dry and have a play.

One thing that you can keep in mind, I would use black under most circumstances, however there are tons of panel line color choices now from the armor and model airplane world.  So you can pick a shade that you think works best with your primary paint color.  You can get dark blue, pale gray, brown, dark brown just to name the ones that come to mind.  Companies like mig productions make them.  They are enamel based so just give a clear coat over your paint job and these will work great.  

1 minute ago, cbk57 said:

One thing that you can keep in mind, I would use black under most circumstances, however there are tons of panel line color choices now from the armor and model airplane world.  So you can pick a shade that you think works best with your primary paint color.  You can get dark blue, pale gray, brown, dark brown just to name the ones that come to mind.  Companies like mig productions make them.  They are enamel based so just give a clear coat over your paint job and these will work great.  

Dude! Can you use a larger fond? even with my glasses on, I need to have my nose almost on the 'puter screen to read it.

Chris