A BIG Typhoon coming

Greg in OK

I have already announced my intent to do two 1/72 Hurricanes but I figured I might as well tell you part 2.

I will try to build the Revell, 1/32 Typhoon.  

Typhoon1.jpg

Ordered some replacement decals (noticed the damage on the ones I have) and I will give this beast a try as my second Group Build kit.

Greg in OK

• Like 7

Cool B) 

I'd forgot about this kit Greg, nice second build choice, my dad made one of these when I was little and it is an impressive model.

Edited by Col.

Now that is a golden oldie, I've built two of those and thoroughly enjoyed building them, MDC do make some nice resin goodies to update them as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Started some building slowly...

The wing, which I have decided to sand to mute the rivets a bit.

Typhoon_Engine_and_Wing.jpg

And assemble the crankcase.  Unfortunately, the engine molding is getting a bit long in the tooth and I needed a Dremel, not a X-Acto blade, to make the rear plate fit the block.  An earlier molding may be fine, but mine had serious flash.

Greg in OK

• Like 3

be interesting to see this one built, is a real golden oldie! One of those big Revell kits I dreamed of building as a small child! 

Nice to see someone else going large with there build as well. :thumbsup:

Started work on the cockpit...it is very well engineered...

Typhoon_Seat.jpg

In retrospect I likely should have painted the seat belts BEFORE I assembled the cockpit.  Live and learn.

Greg in OK

• Like 7

So good to see this Revell classic kit on here. I can still recall the original Train Bustng boxart in an old Revell catalogue. This was my first introduction to this beast of an aircraft and I’ve grown very fond of this family of fighters ever since. 

Cheers... (a watching) Dave 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Pens up!

Well, I consider it a valent try but I did not get the Typhoon done.  Here is where I am as of this morning...

two or three things slowed my down, the first being the number of times I had to find/sand/fill/sand...…..

Some areas were very poor and I just got to the point where it doesn't look to bad yesterday.

AND...I took 2 1/2 weeks off in England, great trip and saw a few air museums.  Just Boscombe, Tangmere, Shuttleworth (opening day). Duxford (1/2 hour tailwheel instruction in a Moth), Midland Air Museum, and FAA Museum.

Also Bath, Stonehenge, Old Sarum, Isle of Wight and 4 nights on a narrow boat rental.

So....no building time, just inspiration time. 

Greg in OK

Typhoon_as_of_060318.jpg

• Like 1

Good work getting this one so far as you did Greg. Please keep us updated with your continued progress.

On 6/3/2018 at 3:51 PM, Greg in OK said:

Pens up!

Well, I consider it a valent try but I did not get the Typhoon done.  Here is where I am as of this morning...

two or three things slowed my down, the first being the number of times I had to find/sand/fill/sand...…..

Some areas were very poor and I just got to the point where it doesn't look to bad yesterday.

AND...I took 2 1/2 weeks off in England, great trip and saw a few air museums.  Just Boscombe, Tangmere, Shuttleworth (opening day). Duxford (1/2 hour tailwheel instruction in a Moth), Midland Air Museum, and FAA Museum.

Also Bath, Stonehenge, Old Sarum, Isle of Wight and 4 nights on a narrow boat rental.

So....no building time, just inspiration time. 

Greg in OK

Typhoon_as_of_060318.jpg

In my far off distant youth I scrimped pocket money and built the Spitfire 1a, the ME109G and the Mosquito.  I never had chance to build the Typhoon so please keep this one going if only to settle it for me.

Edited by Jeepboy
  • Like 1