Hi all. Get ready for loads of daft questions...!

Flowster

Hi all,

Let me just start by saying how fantastic and informative your site is. I can’t wait to delve into it a bit deeper.

I’m Jim and I live out in the bleak but beautiful flatlands of Cambridgeshire. I haven’t built models for the best part of 30 years since life got in the way, but I’m starting to get back into it as a form of ‘mindfulness’ if you like.

I am in the throws of finishing a Fairey Swordfish but it doesn’t seem like my ability has changed much since I was a kid! Hopefully some of the techniques on here will help me.

For my next model I would like a EE Lightning, the only plane I remember leaving me speechless with my mouth open when I was young as it shot up vertically into the clouds never to be seen or heard again! Any suggestions on a good kit would be appreciated.

• Like 3

Hello Flowster ... :welcome: to Britmodeller and :welcome: back to building. Scimatar is correct the Airfix is probably your best bet for a lightning. Do yourself a favor and don't try to do to much fancy building early. You risk getting frustrated and walking away from a rewarding hobby. Try one new technique with every build.

Above all else build for yourself not to please others. I like to use this rule. Can i still be happy with this model in a week ? A month ? A year ? If yes then its a good build. Sorry if this seems a bit preachy. 

Dennis 

• Like 1

The mindfulness thing is exactly what I model for - something I need to remind myself of frequently when I'm cursing at recalcitrant decals or tiny bits that would rather adhere to tweezers than their intended home

p.s. Airfix Lightning is a lovely model. Worth a few hours of anyone's time. 

Edited by LostCosmonauts

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Jim.  As one who needs a LOT of help, I can tell you the lads on here are aces.  Every question I've ever asked of them has been answered in detail within hours, complete with links, pictures and alternative techniques.  I'm stunned by their knowledge and skills.

• Like 1

Welcome on board.

No such thing as a daft question. If you dont know the answe ask away. Someone will be along with an answer.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:04, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do yourself a favor and don't try to do to much fancy building early. You risk getting frustrated and walking away from a rewarding hobby. Try one new technique with every build.

Above all else build for yourself not to please others. I like to use this rule. Can i still be happy with this model in a week ? A month ? A year ? If yes then its a good build. Sorry if this seems a bit preachy. 

Dennis 

Two wise quotes from Dennis there I think for anyone coming back to the hobby.

• Thanks 1

Hi Jim, Just joined myself, same as yourself, after a long break...like 40 years :o

I have several models on the go now, and will be searching for advice very soon! This site is superb, caters for people like us, right through to experts, I've no need to search online any more 

• Like 1

Welcome to you both.

I came back in exactly the same condition now I'm one who can sometimes provide the answers. Listen to Dennis he's a very wise man. Lightning? Airfix! When building make sure you don't get paint on the mating surfaces and you'll be fine. Top Tip is leave off the pitot tube and missile rails until the very end of the build, they're very breakable and don't repair well. Second Top Tip is to scribe around parts that fit in a rebate. The scribed line will stop the paint flowing into the joint area.