Procon Boy WA Trigger Type Double-Action 0.3mm Airbrush (PS-275)

Mike

Procon Boy WA Trigger Type Double-Action 0.3mm Airbrush (PS-275)

Mr Hobby via Air-craft.net

boxtop.jpg

We reviewed this airbrush's stablemate two years ago ([url= http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008778-mr-hobby-procon-boy-fwa-platinum-double-action-airbrush]here[/url]) at time of writing, and it has gone on to become one of my favourite airbrushes, giving me reliable and easy-maintenance service throughout this period, with no problems despite my fairly lax cleaning regime.  This has endeared the brand to me no end, so when Martin offered this slightly wider nozzled brush for review, I had no qualms about saying "yes please".  I'll let you into a secret here – I tested this airbrush around a year ago, then promptly forgot to do the review!  I'm well-known for having a poor memory, but I remember this airbrush well, and will be able to give an informed opinion on it notwithstanding the intervening delay.

box.jpg

This model is a trigger operated airbrush from the Mr Hobby range, who you'll possibly recognise from their Gunze Sangyo Mr Color and Aqueous Hobby Color range of paints.  The Japanese heritage explains the overlong and somewhat cutesie name, but don't let that put you off one iota, as you can also refer to them by their product code, which in this case is PS-275.  The airbrush arrives in a small oblong card outer box, with a sheet of clear acetate protecting the front of the inner box which is plastic and has a clear lid.  Inside is the airbrush and accessories, coddled in tight-fitting foam inserts, which consists of the airbrush with screw-in 7ml paint cup stored in its own recess, nozzle spanner, air hose and air can adapter, both of which are of little use to the "serious" modeller, as they are both specific to Mr Hobby air bottles, which are hard to come by outside the Far East.  There is also a two-piece quick-release adapter for the brush, but this again is specific to Mr Hobby gear, so not of much use.  Again – don't let this put you off, as they're not really important and more useful items can be sourced cheaply at purchase time.

contents.jpg

Build quality is excellent, and the brush has a nice weighty feel in the handy, and you immediately notice that it has a rather short body, which is due to the manner in which the trigger is mounted.  The needle is found inside the screw-off rear of the brush, with a set-screw in the rear for limiting the needle's travel, and as normal there is a needle chuck-nut, and a tension adjuster stacked behind each other around the needle.  The needle is also shorter than usual, and the needle assembly can be withdrawn from the body by unscrewing it whilst holding the knurled lip for deep cleaning or seal replacement.  At the front there is a screw-off crown, the air cap, and inside the tiny paint nozzle, which is removed using the supplied spanner, and if you have any common-sense, you'll unscrew it over a flat surface so you don't lose it!  They are small, just in case I hadn't made that clear enough.  The crown is a complete one, having no cut-outs around its edge, so viewing the needle can't be done from the sides.  This is a two-edged sword, because it protects your needle better, but makes inspection and blowing back thinners to clean your brush a little trickier.  You can get a small plastic cap that fits over the airbrush tip to make this easier, and they cost pennies – or you can risk stabbing yourself and put your finger over the nozzle.

breakdown.jpg

The 0.3mm nozzle is perfectly suited to airbrushing larger areas, with a nice clean spray pattern and a reduced likelihood of clogging due to paint particles.  It's also good for spraying less finely ground pigments, which are found in some brands of paint.  I used it for a month or so for spraying areas as well as varnishes, and enjoyed having it in the workshop.  It isn't designed to be a detail brush, so don't expect it to perform as such and you'll be very happy with your purchase.  Some folks don't get on with the trigger-style airbrushes, but having only ever used traditional top-mounted brushes, I found the transition quite painless.  The first fraction of the pull begins airflow, and then the needle starts to go back, and with your trigger-figure having good muscle memory (which is probably why it got the job), it is easy to recover your "bite" after recommencing spraying.

Spares are readily available from Martin, and are reasonably priced, but if you can bend a 0.3mm needle, you perhaps need to be a bit more careful! The nozzles will eventually wear, so it's a good idea to have one of these in stock just in case, and give some thought to keeping other consumables in stock too, so you don't interrupt your hobby.  Martin's spares service is fast, and he packages small orders in letterbox friendly boxes, which I thought was quite a good idea in the modern world where no-one's postie arrives before 9am.

Conclusion

Another winning design from the Mr Hobby stable.  As we know (you did read my earlier review, I hope?), they're inspired by the design of a well-known competitor, but they have carved out their own niche in my workshop, and if you give them a go, you'll probably join the club.  The 0.3mm nozzle is great for more general airbrush work, which will be just fine if you don't get down and dirty with airbrushing individual hairs on figures (for example), and the reliability of the brand is excellent in my experience.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of Martin at

• 3 months later...

Id add , its not just similar to or inspired by it's competitor (iwata) but is in all likelyhood one and the same. Same with the 290.

The other Japanese brands are not Iwata imitators,  Iwata is simply another rebrander of airbrushes. Just like SATA,Ammo,preval,devillbiss,GSI and many others.

I don't say that as conjecture, but as a provable fact.