Trumpeter's Late F4F-3 1/32 scale

Kayjay

So I'm on here all the time admiring everyone else's work, insight, and good nature and humor, but never really contribute.  So as I delve back into this hobby addiction, which is greatly needed, I am making myself grow and delve deeper into this art.  So I will put out updates on this build of Trumpeter's 1/32 Late F4F-3 and welcome feedback, critique, criticism, or experience...jokes too.  My head is thick, my hide is thicker and I like the camaraderie on this site.  I'm newer and want to jump in...so thanks.  I have also started a new topic asking for insight to lap belts prior to Midway/early WWII.  Thanks!

So here is the office.   Not finished with detail and have not started weathering washes.  First attempt at hair spray technique on seat, floor and rudder pedals.  I am a black baser so all is primed in black first.

F4F-3 office

F4F-3 office

F4F-3 office

Here is the powerhouse getting ready to be assembled.  I am one to paint parts first and then assemble.  Note the ignition ring wire rods...some are bent.  Trumpeter did not do a good job of making it easy to get these off.  If you get or have this model, go easy and slow.  It's an easy fixed if they come off or bend...but sheesh.  My hands and eyes ain't what they used to be.  

Powerhouse getting ready f4f-3

Radial engine parts were first primed black and then I used flat aluminum on my stippling/dry brush so as to leave as much shadow in the recesses.  

• 2 weeks later...

So the fuselage is getting ready to be brought together.  I decided to not do the wires from the ignition ring and will do a bit of pigments before sealing up the sides.  The interior is pretty much buttoned up (I'm not using the clear cowling...not really my thing but pretty cool Trumpeter included it), so may just move on to the exterior.  As always, criticism is welcome.

Ready to put the fuselage togetherOffice weathered, lap belt inOffice 2Office 3Engine 1Engine 232

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

So update since I haven't for some time.  I am out on the right coast with my folks for the week, but will put in pics when I get back to the bench.  I put together the fuselage and true to all comments I have seen about this kit, it was a bugger.  The fuselage halves were to flattened and needed to be more rounded.  That entails gluing the parts in stages so as to "form" it around the internals.  The firewall seating is about 2-3 millimeters off.  Doesn't seem like much, but when trying to fit on the front radiator piece and engine, it makes a huge difference.  Same for the cockpit.  I should have fit it as I was putting it together, but live and learn.  I will no longer trust a model company's engineering and molding operations to supply a proper fit (I'm a bit of a optimist for this hobby).  Oh, and do not glue the gun sight into the instrument panel of the cockpit until AFTER you put the fuselage together, but dry fit it for I had to make the insert where you glue it deeper.  You can easily glue it in after you put the two fuselage halves together and after you have dry fit it, made modifications to the instrument panel where it is glued BEFORE you put the fuselage halves together.  So after wrestling with these items, a bit of gap filler (minor) in places, sanding, and rescribing in the process, and will soon be ready for primer.  Wings are coming along nicely.  The PE flaps and ailerons are a nice touch and fit relatively well.  I do not like the injection pin sites on the inside of the flaps that need to be filled and sanded in between the support spars.  Over-all, this kit is building up to be a nice Wildcat.  As in all comments on the net for this kit, it does require patience and experience.  So I like that it is making me think and work on my building skills (so that I am not just a collector...which my wife is sure of).  Tons of dry fitting or not, it will take plenty of patience and a small bit (all I have) of ingenuity to make this a good build.   

Edited by Kayjay
forgot about the gunsight
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So been busy of late and not much modeling happening, but past few days I have tried a bit harder to get some bench time in play.  The F4F-3 is now primed and getting ready for paint.  I used AMMO Mig One Shot black primer for the base after wiping down the surfaces with a bit of rubbing alcohol.  I'll give a shout out to Mig for I love their one shot product.  Straight from the bottle and no thinning needed.  Literally one shot and you're covered.  After the primer dried, i thinned 50/50 Tamiya Dark Grey (XF -24) and Tamiya acrylic thinner and covered lightly and not evenly.  I prefer black basing and with the lighter color scheme of the early WWII USN, I put the dark grey on to make a bit more subtle under coat when I begin to apply the camo.  Kinda has a cool looking dark gunship grey color.  Insight and criticism is always welcome.

2018-03-29_12-51-33Primed 2Primed 1