This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mikemx

Airfix QC issues strike again. Defective Sea Fury kits.

Hi mcc1,

sorry, but what Airfix have said is to the letter of English law, their right.

First port of call is ALWAYS where (insert product) was purchased from, not the manufacturer or wholesaler.

The product is "not as advertised", therefore you have the right to either an exchange or a refund,

the exchange being wholly dependant on the retailler having / being able / wishing to obtain stock.

This has nothing to do with customer service, it's to do with English law, and that's Black and White.

Paul

10 minutes ago, mcc1 said:

Slightly off topic but has anyone had the wrong kit packaged by Airfix? I bought two jet provost models a week ago and both boxes contained 1960s style 1/48 spitfires, incomplete but with JP instructions and no decals. Airfix cs dont want to know and just tell me to return the kits to the retailer (who have no more stock) It looks like the kits were switched in the factory as both boxes were sealed. Think this is the end of me buying anything airfix, would have liked airfix to at least take the models to investigate if it was anything on their end.

Good customer service in this day and age counts for a lot and a company the size of airfix really need to up their game.

The earliest 1/48 Sptifire kit from Airfix was the Vb in 1978/9 or so. That tooling has been retired with the release of the most recent 1/48 Spit I and Vb. 

7 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

The earliest 1/48 Sptifire kit from Airfix was the Vb in 1978/9 or so. That tooling has been retired with the release of the most recent 1/48 Spit I and Vb. 

Will post some pictures of the kit later on. It looks like I could make a better spit out of a lump of miliput.

14 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

5 minutes ago, mcc1 said:

Will post some pictures of the kit later on. It looks like I could make a better spit out of a lump of miliput.

Guy's, read my post, #176. This has NOTHING to do with the product per se, but with ENGLISH law.

33 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Guy's, read my post, #176. This has NOTHING to do with the product per se, but with ENGLISH law.

I don’t think they’re disputing your post, rather the origins of the kits in the boxes.

25 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

I was trying to bring to their attention that there maybe someone switching kits at the factory, you would think they might want to ask a few questions and not just tell me to return to the retailer. The situation stinks to hell, the spitfire is not airfix having opened the bags, the windscreen is molded into the fusalage (obviously not clear) it looks like the cheapest kit ive ever held. Could not stop laughing when I opened the bag. Oh well, back to the retailer for a refund.

8 minutes ago, mcc1 said:

I was trying to bring to their attention that there maybe someone switching kits at the factory, you would think they might want to ask a few questions and not just tell me to return to the retailer. The situation stinks to hell, the spitfire is not airfix having opened the bags, the windscreen is molded into the fusalage (obviously not clear) it looks like the cheapest kit ive ever held. Could not stop laughing when I opened the bag. Oh well, back to the retailer for a refund.

My assumption has been that Airfix gets bagged sprue shots from the factory in India and then adds the instructions, decals, and boxes in the UK. The decals are printed in Italy and bagged kits take up less volume in the shipping container, so this would make some sense. If that assumption is correct, the error with your kit occurred in the UK. Or, let me add one other possibility that is perhaps more likely; the company in India is just a contractor to Airfix and probably molds lots of items besides Airfix kits. It's possible that the "Spitfire" you got was for another customer and mistakenly got included with a batch of bagged Jet Provost kits. Since you got two the same, the likelihood is that a significant portion of that shipment contained the wrong item. Once the bagged kits arrive in the UK, they go to another Airfix contractor who packages the kits in boxes with the instructions and decals and stores them for shipment. This means Airfix does not have to own and maintain its own warehouse. The people who package the kits in the UK work for the contractor not Airfix and probably are instructed to package bagged kits from one location into a specific type of box and are not trained to differentiate a Jet Provost from a dodgy Spitfire kit.

The description of the kit makes me think it could be a fake product and it should be the local Trading Standards that will need to be involved.

10 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

The description of the kit makes me think it could be a fake product and it should be the local Trading Standards that will need to be involved.

What is a "fake product?" How is that different from being an item packaged in the wrong box.

Never assign to malice, that which can be attributed to simple incompetence!

There were some really awful kits of aircraft on sale in

various discount stores up to the middle of last year.

There was a 'Spitfire' in the series, I wonder if this is one.

6 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

There were some really awful kits of aircraft on sale in

various discount stores up to the middle of last year.

There was a 'Spitfire' in the series, I wonder if this is one.

You mean this.....thing?

Trevor

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

What is a "fake product?" How is that different from being an item packaged in the wrong box.

Never assign to malice, that which can be attributed to simple incompetence!

I'm sorry but in a world where money is made by counterfieting car and aircraft parts, DVDs, software and many other things why should plastic kits be immune? Short shot parts or extra parts as seen with the latest Airfix Phantom is incompetence, a box full of cheap tat is criminal. Maybe having been born on Police property has made me overly suspicious.

4 hours ago, Aeronut said:

I'm sorry but in a world where money is made by counterfieting car and aircraft parts, DVDs, software and many other things why should plastic kits be immune? Short shot parts or extra parts as seen with the latest Airfix Phantom is incompetence, a box full of cheap tat is criminal. Maybe having been born on Police property has made me overly suspicious.

I see what you're saying, and certainly there are companies (Kitech, Zhengdefu and others) whose entire product line seems to be poor copies of Academy kits. In this case, there doesn't seem to be any question that the packaging is genuine Airfix and it's just the plastic doesn't match up with what's on the box. Nor is it any other Airfix kit apparently. Absent any other information, Occam's Razor says this is a packaging mix-up and nothing more.

Edited by VMA131Marine

One can only wonder what will happen in the 1:24th Lancaster kit.

Hopefully a QC department will have been created by then...

On 14/02/2018 at 10:04, mylo66 said:

Where is this all going? Aren`t we talking about small problems which can be overcome quite easily even with my modest skill set?

In the case of the short shot fin on the Sea Fury, yes its small and can be corrected with some small modelling skills, however the point is that its a new kit and you should not have to correct manufacturing faults. 

Would you buy a new car and then they say to you you can spray the back panel at home cant you?

In other cases such as the bubbles in canopies, then these cant be fixed.

Julien

My Airfix Sea Fury and Korea Meteor turned up today from England and now I am a bit worried that I have heard they may have some defects as these two kits are ones I am really looking forward too. I know mistakes or faults can happen from time to time but its 2018. However in 1/48 I have found the trend with kit companies is that they pick great subjects but are very poorly executed in the detail department, over engineered or lazy in areas for example.

I don't think I've heard of the wrong kits in a box before. Quite amusing really. It does beg the question though. Are there a batch of 'British Battle Fighter' kits out there each containing a nicely moulded little jet?

At a bargain price too.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, Julien said:

In the case of the short shot fin on the Sea Fury, yes its small and can be corrected with some small modelling skills, however the point is that its a new kit and you should not have to correct manufacturing faults. 

Would you buy a new car and then they say to you you can spray the back panel at home cant you?

In other cases such as the bubbles in canopies, then these cant be fixed.

Julien

Thanks Julien!

That's the point I've been trying to make all along. Some people will live with it and fix and that's their choice but it's a bit sloppy from Airfix and people have the right to be annoyed or upset and send/take the kit back for a refund. I was simply trying to raise awareness of the issue and people can make an informed choice. All this 'we're modellers and should be able to fix it' attitude to me is nonsense, we're all different and there's nothing wrong if some people are annoyed at the error and some aren't. If it's not an issue, just ignore the topic and don't comment, it's not helping anyone it's just being condescending.

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx

Great news, received a email from Airfix this morning notifying me my defective parts where on the way to me. 

I've made a start on my kit and I must say that apart from the dubious fit of the engine cowls I'm quite impressed with how well parts fit together, i'm really enjoying myself building it.

To balance the argument, I decided yesterday evening that I would put in a complaint to Airfix about the damaged parts in my kits and got an e-mail this afternoon saying hat the parts were going in today's post. Seems like someone has been listening to the grumbling here and elsewhere. Fair play to Airfix.

Martian

Sneaked a peek at the single example in Ian Allan in Birmingham yesterday and I'm not sure if I was disappointed to see that there were no short shot issues on the tail!