This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mikemx

Airfix QC issues strike again. Defective Sea Fury kits.

This is a warning for all those who have bought or ordered the new Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury. We just got our stock in today, when one of our regular customers emailed us asking if our kits were Ok, as he got one with a short shot tail fin leading edge, on the starboard fuselage. I checked all our kits and they all had the same fault. I phoned Hannants (that's where we got them from) and they said all the kits are affected! So we're having to send ours back for a refund and I would suggest everyone who has got one to double check it and see if it has the same issue. If it has, I would suggest contacting Airfix (as this is really bad) and returning it to where you bought it from (unless Airfix will take it back, which I doubt). If it is as bad as we're been led to believe, this is a pretty bad situation!

thanks

Mike

Already done both, complete with pics of the said part. I was on the case first thing yesterday morning.

:mg: themselves in the foot.............again :(

Don't they have any quality control!!!!!

I don't think you're allowed to criticise anything to do with Airfix or the sub continent, I did once before but I think I got away with it.

Not a nice find for a dealer.  You could try offering buyers the choice of waiting for new production or accepting a tube of filler with each kit.  Maybe some off-cuts of plasticard too?

Spaddad, I'll risk it! not as if I'm telling tales out of school :(

The 'art' of Q.C. is a nominal 10% check.

If the order sent to Hannants were all of a similar quality, and you can bet yer boot's the order was LARGE,

within the laws of probability, there was NO Q.C. check, either end of the supply chain.

If it had been you or me, we'd be taking the 'long walk' clutching a P45........................

Paul

30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Not a nice find for a dealer.  You could try offering buyers the choice of waiting for new production or accepting a tube of filler with each kit.  Maybe some off-cuts of plasticard too?

Nah, it's all going back to Hannants for a refund. People would get upset if we sent them out dodgy kits and we can't afford to sell them at knock down rates, to anyone who would willingly take them on. I'm just glad we got a tip off before it was too late, problems are so much easier to fix if you haven't sent the goods out! There's pics out there somewhere, someone googled the issue and found on a forum but I don't know which one. If anyone sees the pic, they can judge for themselves and take a chance if they want to.

thanks

Mike

42 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Airfix have said they have no plans to restock the Sea Fury at this time. Read into that what you will.

Duncan B

Hmmm.

We haven't seen those over here yet.

I'll give my distributor a heads up to keep their eye on this one.

Thanks for the info!

Hi - one of mine is good, one not. But heres what my short-shot fin looks like.

83FtP6G.jpg

Its not exactly a deal breaker if you can wield some filler and a sanding stick - its annoying should, have been spotted, and is bad QA. But before we all start dumping Sea Furies over the side, like Corsair IVs from an "end of lend-lease" party, it's perhaps worth deciding if it is actually "that" bad.

cheers

Jonners

Rats, just checked mine (received yesterday) sure enough, short shot as per the image above.  Not an insurmountable problem but rather annoying!

Never mind the short shots. Look at those dreadnaught rivets. I know it's a naval aeroplane but really?

I was just thinking the same thing.

The panel screws need tightening up too!

The rivets are rather prominent- and for reasons best known to Aunty Airfix's LIDAR interpretation team- are concentrated around the tail area with the rudder in particular being a bit herpetic.

There are number of quandries with this kit, - and I'd love to know what the rationale was behind them.  Its still a nice model though - just, I'm starting to think - a Curate's Egg

Jonners

32 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi - one of mine is good, one not. But heres what my short-shot fin looks like.

83FtP6G.jpg

Its not exactly a deal breaker if you can wield some filler and a sanding stick - its annoying should, have been spotted, and is bad QA. But before we all start dumping Sea Furies over the side, like Corsair IVs from an "end of lend-lease" party, it's perhaps worth deciding if it is actually "that" bad.

cheers

Jonners

Thanks for illustrating that (saves googling it and trying to find pics of it. . Like I said, some will live with it and fix it but it would be bad form for us to knowingly sell kits when we know there's an issue.

thanks

Mike

It's not surprising that rivets will be more visible at the rear of an aircraft, because the boundary layer grows as the flow goes aft, so the tail is sitting in slower-moving air and the drag due to rivet heads is significantly reduced.  There are different build standards for excrescences, steps and gaps, on different parts of an aircraft - the leading edge of the wing requires the highest standard and the rear of the fuselage the lowest.  Which may not fully excuse those examples above.

A-10s are same - Just ask Julien

35 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It's not surprising that rivets will be more visible at the rear of an aircraft, because the boundary layer grows as the flow goes aft, so the tail is sitting in slower-moving air and the drag due to rivet heads is significantly reduced.  There are different build standards for excrescences, steps and gaps, on different parts of an aircraft - the leading edge of the wing requires the highest standard and the rear of the fuselage the lowest.  Which may not fully excuse those examples above.

1 hour ago, noelh said:

Never mind the short shots. Look at those dreadnaught rivets. I know it's a naval aeroplane but really?

I’ll be honest.. I noticed those large rivets before I even saw the short shot tail! I agree it’s rather annoying, however both issues are more than fixable. Happy to accept one (or two) if anyone wants to offload them in disgust. 

So what happened to the big push to bring back production to the UK? I’ve only got the Victor as a UK made kit and although it hasn’t been near any smelly glue as yet does look to be a very crisp and superior moulding. 

Cheers.. Dave 

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So what happened to the big push to bring back production to the UK? I’ve only got the Victor as a UK made kit and although it hasn’t been near any smelly glue as yet does look to be a very crisp and superior moulding. 

Cheers.. Dave 

It says "Made in India' on the boxes of the new Mitchell and Phantom.

Tony

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Indeed, can't be sure but perhaps it was Jeffrey Quill who described how they glued halved peas on various parts of the Spitfire airframe and removed them gradually until the optimum combination of flush and dome headed rivets was met. 

On the other hand. Pictures I've seen of the Seafury tail show flush rivets. Plus any removable panels are held in with flat head fasteners.

But as for the model, a bit of filler and a swipe with a bit of wet and dry will fix it all. Not sure why it should be neccessary in a 2018 kit though.

It's no big deal from a modelling point of view - a sliver of card, some filler, and Jack's your Auntie - but it shows amazingly poor QC on the part of Airfix. Things like this simply shouldn't happen - or at least should get picked up before the kit is released.

I "helped" the owner of our LHS to check the remainder of his Sea Fury delivery (some had already been sold) and all were afflicted, but to varying degrees: on one about 3/32" was missing from the leading edge, the worst was short of approximately 5/6" of leading edge, all forward of the panel joint.  A friend and I have already schemed a variety of repair methods and don't expect to have to work very hard for any of them to be efffective.  OK it shouldn't be necessary on a 2018 kit but sometimes a bit of problem-solving is just what we need to help keep us sharp.

Looking at the picture above, I would suggest that the problem would not have arisen had the panel line been shallower.