1/48 Kinetic Harrier T4 Finished!!

Wow this is looking gorgeous,....... you were very brave to paint the white over such a well finished model,...... but you have cracked it! Personally I would dab another coat onto certain areas,..... but as you say,.... the paint wore off very quickly and was often literally daubed on!

How about this for a `different' arctic camo, seen on Harrier T.4, ZB600/R in 1984;

Image result for harrier arctic camouflage

This has always been my favourite Arctic Harrier pic;

Good luck with the finishing off,....I have yet to start my kit yet!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Good afternoon,

I really love the T4,was hesitating on the build to this GB,but this artistic arctic scheme is way over my skills.

Yours,minion looks beautiful.:yes:

Regards,Laz

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

Wow this is looking gorgeous,....... you were very brave to paint the white over such a well finished model,...... but you have cracked it! Personally I would dab another coat onto certain areas,..... but as you say,.... the paint wore off very quickly and was often literally daubed on!

How about this for a `different' arctic camo, seen on Harrier T.4, ZB600/R in 1984;

This has always been my favourite Arctic Harrier pic;

Good luck with the finishing off,....I have yet to start my kit yet!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, I look forward to seeing what you can do with this kit.

Funnily enough the aircraft in your first pic is the very same one I'm building, ZB600. In your pic she is actually painted up for a Summer exercise in Germany, and the paint was quite neatly applied, and she does make for a different looking model.

2 hours ago, Tripio said:

Good afternoon,

I really love the T4,was hesitating on the build to this GB,but this artistic arctic scheme is way over my skills.

Yours,minion looks beautiful.:yes:

Regards,Laz

Thank you very much Laz, you are far too kind. I'm sure you could do a good job on the arctic paint scheme.

30 minutes ago, Hewy said:

That's starting to look like a pretty good representation of the winter white, looking good craig

Thanks Glynn, still a fair bit of work to do yet though.

• Like 2

Hi Craig. You have really done a superb job with the whitewash. If you do decide to paint any more areas with the white you could try stippling it very thinly in several layers. It's how I did my first white wash on the Pz.III at the end of last year. Any streaking of the paint I then did after the stippled layers were dried and I used a very fine brush but again with very thinned paint. It meant I got the steak effects how I wanted them. If you do decide to try this, practice on some scrap first. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks for all your inputs, likes and suggestions guys, all very much appreciated.

Well I bit the bullet and applied some more coats of the white until I was happy with how it looked, the only problem was that it had visible ridges etc in the paint and the effect was way over scale so I decided to give the white a quick going over with some very fine micromesh. Well as soon as I started it became apparent that the white would return to liquid form with the water I used with the micromesh so I knew I had to go lightly, so I did a small area then dried it off to see what the results would be like and I liked them so carried on and did the rest of the airframe. After I was happy with the white I used a watercolour wash for the panel lines and then sealed the whole thing with some matt varnish which also meant I could remove the masking from the canopies, which in my opinion always brings the model more to life, anyway here are some pics of how she looks now starting with an over all shot;

40822016655_063affbe9d_o_d.jpg

And some closer shots so you can hopefully get a better idea of how the white looks.

40822019725_f8c542bcd1_o_d.jpg

40822023755_c6205eaff9_o_d.jpg

40822026855_16ede8cf27_o_d.jpg

26853397937_399a876d68_o_d.jpg

As you can see I have also added the exhausts, i have also added some exhaust staining to the rear of the aircraft and some staining in front of and on the end of the gun pods to simulate the effects of being fired.

27852328938_8cdabe11c8_o_d.jpg

41003704644_bb61bd2c6b_o_d.jpg

I have also built up and painted the undercarriage.

41721107621_e2c3cfe7ed_o_d.jpg

The plan for this evening, when I can drag myself off the computer looking at other peoples great builds, is to get her on her feet and then sort out the undercarriage doors. I still have to decide whether to have the canopies open or closed, any thought guys?

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 8

And she is finished!

You have no idea how glad I am to get this one over the line, it has not been the easiest or most fun of builds but I did enjoy the painting and weathering and am quite pleased with how she has finally turned out. I decided to go with the closed canopies in the end as if I have her parked up on a taxi way on a Norwegian airfield I didn't think that the ground crew would leave the canopies open letting all the cold and snow in and making more work for themselves. I have also just added the large drop tanks on the inner pylons for a couple of reasons the first being that this is a configuration I have seen on several T-4's in Norway and the second being that the ones in the Kinetic kit are crap. Anyway enough waffling here are some pictures of the finished item;

39999884570_e482c5dc7b_o_d.jpg

39999896490_2d9cd98706_o_d.jpg

40908258765_df0ba4cf0d_o_d.jpg

40908264025_9c2e6aba11_o_d.jpg

40908270675_368057fc2e_o_d.jpg

41807046861_6432a00c2d_o_d.jpg

41807027551_22923ce448_o_d.jpg

And a couple of close ups of the cockpit and weathering.

40908244165_1b5f8817cf_o_d.jpg

26938922717_36523e6a39_o_d.jpg

39999896490_2d9cd98706_o_d.jpg

In the sunshine!

41765276872_6d8b8580b3_o_d.jpg

41765273212_a0d6d49b2d_o_d.jpg

41765268752_b493c540bd_o_d.jpg

Thanks for all of your comments and support through my build guys, all very much appreciated.

Will this be my last Harrier? Definitely not. Will it be my last Kinetic Harrier? Possibly.

I have got the winter camo bug again though so expect more to come!

As usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Great looking Harrier Craig. Superb job all around! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, very much appreciated.

She fought me at times but I'm quite pleased with how she has turned out in the end.

Are you going to the Hinckley show on the 20th mate?

• Like 1

Great dirty looking Harrier. The streaking from the front of the fuel tanks going back is so well done it looks real. This is definitely the best scheme on a Harrier

• Like 1

16 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Are you going to the Hinckley show on the 20th mate?

Hi Craig. Not sure yet......but probably. A bit will depend on how well the trains run on the Sunday.....if at all!  Neither Mrs PlaStix or I drive so we are reliant on public transport. I'll let you know if we are going.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

WOW! What a great build Craig and fantastic work on the 'Winter Camo'. As you said earlier, the difficulty with these schemes is showing enough restraint in trying not to achieve a perfect finish, I think that you have hit the right balance with this one.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...