Hurricane MK I, 2 Sqn, Royal Indian Air Force, 1942

Hi everyone,

Just managed to get some photo`s of my latest effort, my attempt at building a CBI theatre Mk I Hurricane from the new Airfix 1/48 kit.

4KPpTnf.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of the Royal Indian Air Force, based at Risalpur, India, Dec 1942

GIAf78R.jpg

Which is my second attempt at the subject, the previous one being with the old Airfix Mk I 

32uwQT7.jpg

Wing tanks are modified items from a Hobbycraft kit to more resemble the real thing, I had some saved from Special Hobby`s Firefly which looked perfect, but found they`re all of the same side...

brZakiO.jpg

....when I came to assemble them.

BeY8bz0.jpg

The decals are some from the kit and some from the stash and other than those, seat belts and antenna wires the rest is from the box.

wrh6L37.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 68

1 hour ago, Kampartiger said:

Everything that comes out from your hanger awes me.That's a fantastic Indian Hurricane with an equally beautiful and perfect background.Great choice!Btw did the Indian Mk.1 Hurricanes ever get to use the familiar SEAC roundels

Hi `K`, Thanks very much, I have no idea if they did, I suppose if they ever got a re-spray they might have done. I think they were mostly used for second line duties OTU`s, Tactical Recce` etc. Couldn`t find much info`or photo`s on the MK I`s  at all.

Thanks again, Russ   

On 06/02/2018 at 1:17 PM, Kampartiger said:

!Btw did the Indian Mk.1 Hurricanes ever get to use the familiar SEAC roundels

Never say never, particularly when it comes to OTU aircraft in distant parts, but it seems very unlikely.  Mk.Is were only sent to India for OTUs, although some were hauled into action in the final stage of the Burma retreat, and a few more flew against Nagumo's Zeros in Ceylon.  IAF units may have used a few during work-up, but all photos I've seen only show Mk.IIs.

• 1 month later...

Great Build, and love the photographs esp the background.

Though this aircraft was mentioned frequently as No.2 Squadron - the circumstances indicate it was from the time when No.2 Squadron pilots  were at the 151 OTU for Hurricane Conversion  and flying the OTU's Mk1s. This would have been late 1942

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jagan said:

Great Build, and love the photographs esp the background.

Though this aircraft was mentioned frequently as No.2 Squadron - the circumstances indicate it was from the time when No.2 Squadron pilots  were at the 151 OTU for Hurricane Conversion  and flying the OTU's Mk1s. This would have been late 1942

Cheers Jagan for the info` and for looking.

Glad you like it.  Russ

Another tidy build Russ. Someday, whenever I grow up, maybe I can be as productive as you are with the number of builds. Well done Sir !!             Bob H.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Yes it does...where can I find one of these backgrounds?

Cheers John, the back ground is a wall poster I bought off Amazon, some are a bit pricey but if you look hard on a rainy day you can sometimes find something at a reasonable price.

Sometimes you have to cut the elephants, frogmen or camels off to make it more suitable and big ones you can sometimes cut in half and make two. I always keep an eye out in shops down town, just in case there`s something.

Hope this helps, thanks again, Russ

1 hour ago, Bob Henry said:

Another tidy build Russ. Someday, whenever I grow up, maybe I can be as productive as you are with the number of builds. Well done Sir !!             Bob H.

Ha Ha Bob, I just looked at your profile and you`re already a bit more grown up than me :smile:. The secret is: to have more than one build going at a time, that way when I paint myself into a corner I can move on to the next. Oh and a sympathetic shift pattern ( and better half ) helps too. Thanks for the kind comments, really glad you like it, Cheers Russ.