70’s Vulcan

iJones

Hello all!

I have the GWH 1/144 Vulcan Falklands version in stash but I much prefer the early camouflage. So the question is that can I make a 70’s version out of it just by painting it accordingly and put type D roundels  on? As little modification as possible would be ideal.

Thanks

Vulcan XL319 is currently being repainted into 1970's colours. Looking at original pictures of 319 from the 1970's, the only obvious thing I can see is the squared off leading and trailing edge tip to the fin seen below. The 1970's picture I have of 319 shows this to be rounded. Also the little nobbly bit under the refuelling probe is missing in the 1970's pictures. From the pictures I have, there doesn't seem to be any obvious differences.

XL319 at the North East Land Sea and Air Museum.

vulcan79.jpg

vulcan76.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 2

The nobbly thing on the nose is the terrain-following-radar (tfr).  And a really lousy one at that, as it had a very slow reaction time to obstacles.

10 hours ago, iJones said:

So the question is that can I make a 70’s version out of it just by painting it accordingly and put type D roundels  on? As little modification as possible would be ideal.

Thanks

Absolutely

1974/75 was when the tactical roundels and light aircraft grey undersides started to be introduced on the Vulcan.

TFR nose radome was introduced during the late 1960s.

Vulcans with D type roundels had the white undersides to the dark green and medium sea grey camo top.

I can't say that I have seen the fin top RWR fitted on a Vulcan with D type roundels, that's not to say they didn't but would be unusual.  It would be fairly straightforward enough to remove the RWR bits off the fin top.

1527000-large.jpg

C Mike Hines Air-Britain Photos

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is worth getting if you haven't already. It includes lists of Vulcans by serial with different features, eg. All those with one ECM plate between the engines, all those modified to carry Blue Steel, etc and many dates when specific Vulcans were updated, had TFR added, etc.

http://www.vulcantotheskystore.co.uk/the-vulcan-bmk2---from-a-different-angle---2nd-edition-192-p.asp