Hurricanes to the fore!

Greg in OK

Two Hasegawa 1/72 Hurricanes for my first build.

I jumped a LITTLE bit assembling both stock cockpits tonight so I can start scratching some sort of improvement on the very spartan Hasegawa rendition.

Hurri_IMG_6158_2.jpg

Hurri_IMG_6158_3.jpg

But it is official, I'm in!

Greg in OK
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Getting (re)started on these two.

Hurri_Wing.jpg

The gun ports are quite difficult with the way they molded them....

Tried 4 different ways (left and right on both models)  but still not real happy.

I may just decal red patches over them.

Greg in OK

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 2

Cool! I have the first one too (the Battle of Britain kit) and intend to make a Romanian Hurricane out of it. Since you`ve had a good start I now have the advantage of learning from your build. :D Do you intend to use the markings provided by the kit?

Keen to see these two kits come together Greg and no doubt the ‘Hurricane police’ on here will chip in soon enough to help guide you through your builds. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

1 hour ago, Greg in OK said:

always open to helpful and correct input.

there is debate about the Hase kits, and their length in various boxings.

The VVS didn't get any Mk.I's   (though they got some Mk.I's rebuilt to Mk.II's)

The Mk.II spinner on some (all?)  Hase kits is wrong, and spoils the models look.

have a read here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

I don't have a Hase Mk.II to compare,  just the BoB Mk.I you show.

The VVS got nearly 3000 Hurricanes,  but there are not that many photos

there are several threads here..

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?board=50.0

of particular interest...

Soviet regunning

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=881.0

Soviet made airfilter

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=2122.0

you will need a photobucket embed fix to view some of the pics.  

the Hase  VVS boxart plane, Z5252, was salvaged a few years ago

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/sheppard/hurricane_Z5252/index.htm

despite the artwork showing RAF markings painted out with presumeably Russian paint,  I suspect it was British paint,  as it was handed over by the British 151 wing,  and they most likely had spare paint.

while the roundel overpaint is darker, that could just  be from new fresh paint

Hawker_Hurricane_Mk_II_B_of_Rusian_Navy_

but on the underwing

151-4.jpg

they painted over roundels 'bleed through'  suggesting a coat of Sky.

the blasted away away gun patches suggest a ground test fire to make sure they were loaded.... 

Greg,  I don't know how much you know about the VVS, or Hurricanes,  but I'll try to  answer  questions,   I suspect Dave thinks of me as a member  of the 'Hurricane police'  though it's really just a pet subject  of mine....and there is a fair  amount of poor or inaccurate information floating about,  which I try to correct.

Take from my postings what's of use,  it's your model.

Any questions,  ask away. 

cheers

T

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I suspect Dave thinks of me as a member  of the 'Hurricane police'  though it's really just a pet subject  of mine....and there is a fair amount of poor or inaccurate information floating about,  which I try to correct.

Take from my postings what's of use,  it's your model.

Any questions,  ask away. 

cheers

T

“I was just trying to be nice Officer - Honest”.... 

Seriously Troy, this GB would really benifit from a Hurricane build from yourself to highlight many corrections that can be made in WIP form (any kit will do, just start gluing away)... care to join us??

Cheers.. Dave (Convict #K5083). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I think that the Finns did have a single Mk.II, but it was ex-Russian.

They captured several, but  only one was made  airworthy, which was a 'bitsa' IIRC

it's on  the  Inscale decal sheet

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IS01872

Finnish serial HC-465,  there was a warbird in Finland flying in these markings..

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Seriously Troy, this GB would really benifit from a Hurricane build from yourself to highlight many corrections that can be made in WIP form (any kit will do, just start gluing away)... care to join us??

Just checked, 3rd June.... yes, think  i could add something..... let  me  check the rules,  I have *ahem* a few slightly started items...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I think that the Finns did have a single Mk.II, but it was ex-Russian.

It was HC-465 and I can’t find a period photo anywhere at the moment. They all seem to be of a recent restoration that was painted up temporarily and spent a season there.

I’ll go and do some more surfing.....

It may be this one.

https://pin.it/ioeajupd2c4tc7

or more likely this one.

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/USSR/pages/Hurricane-MkIIb-USSR-609IAP-W60-BM959-Soviet-Tiiksjarvi-Air-Base-area-East-Karelia-captured-by-Finns-6th-April-1942-01.html

Trevor

40 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

It was HC-465 and I can’t find a period photo anywhere at the moment. They all seem to be of a recent restoration that was painted up temporarily and spent a season there.

I’ll go and do some more surfing.....

It may be this one.

https://pin.it/ioeajupd2c4tc7

or more likely this one.

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/USSR/pages/Hurricane-MkIIb-USSR-609IAP-W60-BM959-Soviet-Tiiksjarvi-Air-Base-area-East-Karelia-captured-by-Finns-6th-April-1942-01.html

Trevor

Hi Trevor

There are details in one of the Suomen Ilmavoimat Historia books,  with various pics.

But,I'm pretty certain the main airframe used for HC-465 was this Z3577

15151_r500.jpg

from SA-Kuva  use of photo permitted...

THE PHOTOGRAPHS' TERMS OF USE

MENTION THE SOURCE

The downloadable photographs from the Wartime Photograph Archive can be used by anyone. When you publish a photograph from the archive, mention "SA-kuva" as the source. (This means "Finnish Armed Forces photograph" in Finnish.) Please note that you can only conduct searches in Finnish.

There are more  photos of Z3577   in the 151 wing section of Asisbiz

• Like 1

Thanks @Troy Smith that’s a substantial airframe too. I’m prepared to believe that could have been the bitza Mk.II. However, I’ve convinced myself that ‘somewhere’ I’ve seen the photo of ‘595 associated with the sole Finnish Mk.II. To be honest both airframes look as if they could have been rebuilt to fly and I’m surprised the Finns didn’t have more, as they seem to have been more than capable of resurrecting downed enemy aircraft for their own use. (their M.U.’s logistics must have been a nightmare!)

A book (preferably in English!) on Finnish appropriation of enemy war material would certainly make an interesting read and modelling theme.

Trevor

Hi

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Thanks @Troy Smith that’s a substantial airframe too. I’m prepared to believe that could have been the bitza Mk.II. However, I’ve convinced myself that ‘somewhere’ I’ve seen the photo of ‘595 associated with the sole Finnish Mk.II. To be honest both airframes look as if they could have been rebuilt to fly and I’m surprised the Finns didn’t have more, as they seem to have been more than capable of resurrecting downed enemy aircraft for their own use. (their M.U.’s logistics must have been a nightmare!)

A book (preferably in English!) on Finnish appropriation of enemy war material would certainly make an interesting read and modelling theme.

Trevor

Hi Trevor

we  are cluttring up Greg's thread,   though hopefully of some interest

There have been threads on this before

eg

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234939009-finnish-hurricane-pictures/

which I'll bump up in the WW2 section in a mo. 

There is a book in the Suomen Ilmavoimat Historia #7,  Venalaiset Havittajat  about captured Soviet types,  caption in Finnish and English in some versions,  with an English summary.

I'm not totally sure how many version there  are.  Covers I-16, I-153, Pe-2, LaGG-3, SB-2 from memory.    Something I only have as pdf sadly.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Found out the right way and the wrong way to build the wings.

The WRONG way is to glue the top and bottom wings together, in clamping them it is to easy to get the wings to thin.  Then the wing is not as deep as the fillet.  Like this...

Hurri_wrong_way.jpg

Ugly mistake with a lot of filler likely to be required..

The way the second one was done was better, bond the BOTTOM wing to the fuse, THEN drop the top wing in place.....

Hurri_right_way.jpg

MUCH better.  

Greg in OK

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

OPINION TIME!!

Yes, this is the time where I ask experts and novices alike what their opinion of the options I should choose.

As a reminder I am building two Hasegawa 1/72 Hurricanes, the kit has few options but I would like your opinion on which I should pick.  I will describe the part options as best as I can and ask you for TWO DIFFERENT BUILDS which may very on their options.  Here we go...first question

Exhaust stacks...

6 hole per side or 3 hole per side "kidney" stacks...(the kidney stacks are stock Hasegawa plastic parts, the 6 hole stacks are white metal)

For (first plane) Hurricane MkIA (Z2899) in VVS/Russian service.  Served as night fighter.  I THINK it has the 3 hole kidney stacks, not sure....

Same plane, the TAILWHEEL.  the stock molded on Hasegawa tailwheel or the one that looks beefier and comes as a optional part on the sprue (you have to cut of the molded on one.)

Second question.  Hurricane CAPTURED by the Japanese in Malaya, flown by 64th Sentai.  Same two questions...exhaust 3 or 6 and tailwheel, molded on or separate part?

Thanks for any input, no matter how expert or how misguided..

Greg in OK

HI Greg

Hurricanes very rarely had 6 stack exhaust during the way. ( I can only think of some mk.I nightfigher in winter 40/41) 

'kidney' refer to the very early types,  there are several type fitted to a Mk.I's,   early Mk.II's are like late Mk.I's, and then there is a switch to the fishtail type.

Same with tail wheels,  early Mk.II's have the straight Mk.I type, and then they get the 'knuckle' type.

OK, very early IIa

hurr2-1.jpg

straight tail wheel  round exhaust

hurr2-4.jpg

mid production IIc trop

fishtail exhaust, knuckle tailwheel.

And your specifics

HurricaneZ2899VVS.jpg

Z2899.  at VVS test center.  it's a Mk.IIa not a Ia 

Looks to have late Mk.I exhaust and straight tailwheel. which as a Mk.IIa makes sense, there were not that many Mk.IIa's 

Note, often depicted in profiles with green discs over the roundels,  I suggest this is fresh Soviet AMT-6 back, which was semi gloss.

Japanese captured

hurri_be208_c.jpg

90a081af173f6e6f710bb11fb07863c6.png

straight early tail wheel, fishtail exhaust. The 2nd pic is new too me

Looks to be basically RAF Temperate land Scheme, Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers over Sky or Sky Blue undersides, with some Japanese overpainting of the RAF markings

HTH

• Like 1