1/72 RAF ASR Launch

Super work on the rigging Stuart.  

As to weathering, it's a tuff 'un.  These launches always look pretty clean in wartime pics but actually keeping painted yellow clean?????

What's your plan for the (accursed) scrambling nets??

It look fab.  I've had to fight the temptation to begin ASR 122!

Rob

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Cheers guys.

Scramble nets...I'm thinking of going down armour dio route and using bandage/ gauze route?

Stuart

Stuart - I've been trying various things along those lines.  I have some pre-dyed gauze and one thing I've found is that it's easier to work with if you spray it with hairspray, (quite heavily) first.

I made a hash of it on my ASR build - In reality they would only have been 5-6 ft long/deep, so I feel you don't need much.  I'm still working out however quite how to finish mine off:(

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Cheers guys.

Scramble nets...I'm thinking of going down armour dio route and using bandage/ gauze route?

Stuart

Bandage guaze worked for me on a tank, I'd try it out Stuart. Apologies for this example being a tank guys and ignore the tea leaves for your application I think!...........

20170818_11345320171108_214622

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This may not help but I have brown cammo net produced by SB Scotia Models which I must have picked up at a show at some time (probably in the distant past).  I suspect properly fettled up it will look effective (and to scale), as a scramble net.

Al

On 8/27/2018 at 1:46 PM, JohnWS said:

Your build looks awesome Stuart. 👍

Anxious to see what you & others suggest for making the scramble nets.

John

Don't ask how long this took:wall:

8ce6d4bb-0247-442c-9064-2e0dc4c7436c.jpg

1cac1d0b-1bf1-40f3-afd7-bcecc3d56261.jpg

e3d876f6-b4a6-4810-83b6-111f84ae9680.jpg

Scruffy but he next one will be better

Rob

• Like 10

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Scruffy but he next one will be better

Mad !! 

I love it  !

A thought, (easy on the backs of others)

If you were to add pins at the end, then weave the long threads through i.e. over and under. A touch of CA at the joints, this can be hidden by the application of a varnish.

Might be worth a try if anyone feels the need

Kev

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Mad !! 

I love it  !

A thought, (easy on the backs of others)

If you were to add pins at the end, then weave the long threads through i.e. over and under. A touch of CA at the joints, this can be hidden by the application of a varnish.

Might be worth a try if anyone feels the need

Kev

Hi Kev - it's a good thought though the thread is difficult to "stick" with CA (I've tried)

As it is - each "join" is a hitch.  Second time round took half the time and was considerably neater.  I cant complete this as I ran out of 1mm square rod!!

1c0e792a-db21-4f54-bd39-342adcfcb266.jpg

Stuart - sorry for photobombing your thread!

Rob

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Any ideas about rope fenders for these small boats

Couple of ideas for you Stuart

I've seen wood suspended from the boat by a tail at each end, this spreads any point loading over several relatively delicate frames. I would guess something like 4 x 2" (1.5 x .75mm). Rope 3/4" diameter ( 0.3mm) good quality sewing thread would cover it.

A towing hawser 3" dia (1mm) folded into a ' U ' shape. Ends glued/lashed together and suspended from top of upside down 'U'.

You could also go with a timber baulk 9/12" secured to and floating against quay

HTH

Kev

• Like 3

Update time.

IMG_8257.jpg

This has taken a few attempts to do with much cursing along the way :rant:. The rings are tinned copper wire that I wrapped round a 2mm drill bit, removed the spiral of wire from bit and very carefully snipped down the middle. The joint was carefully soldered and cleaned up with small files. Enough done for the build and spares :yes:. Started at one end and secured the four Uschi lines with CA before moving to the far end and then in between. Then the end rings was held with reversible tweezers and lines 'spun' to draw the lines together and CA'd that point, et voila!

IMG_8258.jpg

And here we have the rear aerial fitted between masts.

Time for beer me thinks.

Stuart

• Like 13