1/72 RAF ASR Launch

Cheers John & Rob.

11 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

What are you going to use for fenders?

Good question. After mulling things over, and because I want to finish this and move on, I think I'll pinch an idea from another thread ( Longshanks Fairmile I think)...how about tyres?

Stuart

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Cheers John & Rob.

Good question. After mulling things over, and because I want to finish this and move on, I think I'll pinch an idea from another thread ( Longshanks Fairmile I think)...how about tyres?

Stuart

Good Call!!

I was reminded of them reading through the D blog the other day

Rob

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Yes, it's coming together and individually they do look nice but I am a little worried about doing the water as I've never done a sea base before. Alas, we have to start somewhere and if I pull it off, then next will hopefully be a little more dynamic.

Stuart

• Like 1

'Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey' as they say, just a little update.

20181018-184722.jpg

A few fittings fitted to the decking. At the back, chain has been used and will secure the decking to the vertical supports. At the front we have a number of cleats that will be used to secure the front decking to each other and of course, give the boat something to moor up to. Onward and upwards.

Stuart

• Like 7

Cheers guys.

Have spent the weekend at Blakeney with family. Been out on a boat to Blakeney Point to see the seals. Besides looking at boats and stuff, I've been looking at the water to gain ideas to paint the sea base. This launch was running the English Channel, so, what colour should I a harbour...a grey-green maybe?

Stuart

A little further along and it's getting tense :worry:

20181026-194617.jpg

Fenders fitted...getting closer.

20181026-201449.jpg

Decking in position and vertical supports fitted...and closer.

20181026-210651.jpg

Decking lashed together using the deck cleats and rigging rope. Launch also secured, forward and aft...closer still.

Next it's the water in the form of Pouring Medium by Liquitex, dreading that bit.

Stuart

• Like 6

Cheers guys.

8 hours ago, robgizlu said:

though she would have Springs set as well?

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Mooring Lines running fore & aft for those in the dark

I can do that. How should they run as I've seen a number ways of doing it?

Stuart

Finished!

20181102-193703.jpg

20181102-193732.jpg

20181102-193929.jpg

All done. A number of firsts in this build; scratch built jetty, figures and water. The water could have been better as a few bubbles have been noticed and a bit milky in places, hopefully due to thickness and time.

Next!

Stuart

• Like 6

Great stuff Stuart, grand build there. You have turned that old Airfix classic into something rather good. Love the setting and everything else about it.

As you you would say ...................  :goodjob:

T

Great job Stuart it’s been worth the wait time has a great influence on the build and it shows how much effort you have put in to this just take it slow and then it will show through in the end. 🏆  👍🏻

beefy

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 11:05 PM, Courageous said:

Evening all to my first WiP of a boat build.

Although the main direction will be coastal forces in the shape of MGBs and MTBs, I and others thought it might be good to start with something like this:

IMG_7921.jpg

As most will know the kit has two options; '130' of 1941 and '126' of 1944. I'll be going for the '130' option for starters and because it has a pretty yellow deck. Having a good look through @robgizlu thread of his MGB40 that uses this kit and thought I'd better get started.

IMG_7922.jpg

So the first bit to get tackled was the deck. As others have pointed out, the deck has a solid toe/ deck rail that has to be corrected and the moulded scramble nets that look 'pants' so need to be removed/ replaced. Deck rails duly marked and the process started to remove regular sections and one of the nets removed.

Looks like I better get some replacement deck fittings and stuff from our friends at Coastal Craft.

Until next time.

Stuart

Hi,

regarding the deck rail - what length should be the spaces between the rail bases and what did you glue on top? Evergreen?

I discovered this just in time for my ASR and would like to do that correction as well.

TIA

Ingo