1/72 RAF ASR Launch

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

What is it anybody, @longshanksshould know?

I hope you enjoyed your stay in God's country.

Thanks for posting the pic of a beautiful craft. As to what she is I can only guess.

Around 60 foot long, with a big powerful rig. A Pilot cutter or Trawler. Unusual for trawlers to keep the cutter rig they mostly converted to a ketch rig for ease of handling.

The ' L 20...' number indicates a fishing boat registered in Limerick in Southern Ireland. She 's flying the Red Ensign at the stern and the Scottish and Cornish flag at the masthead. The Scottish flag to stbd is in the position usually reserved for a courtesy flag of the country being visited.

So considering the facts :shrug:

The name is just visible on the pic you posted so perhaps the original could be enlarged and can you confirm the number?

Kev

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 8:56 AM, longshanks said:

The name is just visible on the pic you posted so perhaps the original could be enlarged and can you confirm the number?

Cheers for that Kev, will take a better look when I've a mo.

Little update as promised.

20180920_210143.jpg

This is an hours worth using the 0.5mm thread. Still looks over scale but it's better that my last try and shouldn't look too bad when it's rolled up and sitting on the deck.

Stuart

• Like 7

And here we are:

20180922_185100.jpg

After a few evenings of 'sowing rope' we have the completed net albeit twice the size that's needed. Just prior to cutting the threads and cutting the net in half, I applied a bit of CA to all outer knots, this is not the time for anything to unravel!

20180922_191724.jpg

So far, so good. Now to roll them up.

20180922_193422.jpg

And here they are all rolled up and ready for attaching to launch.

20180922_194107.jpg

Et voila :thumbsup:!

Next stop, the base.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 13

Cheers Terry but errr...no but saying that, I found it strangely therapeutic.

I've never done a sea base before so the next stage is a bit nerve racking. I say sea base, more like a harbour and this is my aim:

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/M9WRMD/two-surrendered-german-schnellboote-e-boats-arriving-at-hms-hornet-the-light-coastal-forces-base-at-gosport-hampshire-uk-to-be-taken-over-by-the-royal-navy-M9WRMD.jpg Just replace the Schnellboote with my ASRL.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 1

Question for you guys on painting wood effect. The odd bit of wood effect I'm okay with, something like a buff/ sand base and then add/ remove burnt umber oil. But how would go about doing something a bit weathered like this:

20151110_160009.jpg

TIA.

Stuart

There are probably as many ways of painting wood as there are types of trees. Which is probably my problem ….. ' I can't see the wood for the trees '   😉

My own opinion is that at 1/72 you wont see the wood grain. What your looking for perhaps is plank variation as seen above centre and top right in pic.

First experiment with the colour, I would suggest grey with a touch of brown added.

Score the planks and you may with a steady hand be able to paint between the lines varying the colour with each plank. i.e. plank 1,3, 4, 9, 11 & 15 one colour. Change the tint and paint 2,7, 14 & 15 etc etc

Washes over the top will blend it all together 

Or get or cut 1mm masking tape and repeat above.

HTH

Kev

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Stuart.

I did a little Googling about simulating weathered wood.  It looks like the railroad hobbyists have a lot of experience weathering wood buildings, bridges & rail car decks.  One technique I wouldn't have thought of was painting the surface with thinned white latex primer & then brushing on thinned India ink to stain the surface & give it that grey aged wood look.  It might be worthwhile checking out some of the model railroad sites.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Always difficult to get right - I think Kev describes the commonest approach, greys rather than brown gets you close with multiple washes including green as is evident in the picture.

I think tonal variation is far more important than texture at this scale.

Here's me struggling with the teak deck on a corvette

4659be68-d32b-4754-89aa-3f1304f168d9.jpg

Keep us posted Stuart.

Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Using what I had at hand, I ran a experiment using plasticard as the canvas as this will is what the floating jetty is going to be made of.

20180926_173355.jpg

I found this and gave it a try. Grey Halford's primer, washed with Humbrol's 'dark wash', followed by grey and green pastels. The image doesn't do it justice but on the bench, it looks ok. I think if I go a little lighter and vary the plank tones as Kev says, it'll look better. I might be good to go and started building these 'floaty things'.

Stuart

• Like 7

Stuart - Just stumbled across this whilst researching Fairmile D boats, thought you might be interested.  Check out from approx 8 mins onwards

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/933

I was fascinated.  Black antifouling hull and ?medium sea grey upperstructure - much lighter than often depicted .

HTH

Rob

• Like 2

19 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Stuart - Just stumbled across this whilst researching Fairmile D boats, thought you might be interested.  Check out from approx 8 mins onwards

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/933

I was fascinated.  Black antifouling hull and ?medium sea grey upperstructure - much lighter than often depicted .

HTH

Rob

Thanks for that Rob, very interesting, it looks useful for my next ASRL...booked marked.

And talking of the D, what's happening with the girl?

Stuart

13 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Thanks for that Rob, very interesting, it looks useful for my next ASRL...booked marked.

And talking of the D, what's happening with the girl?

Stuart

Stuart -I'm still at the research stage - but I'm keen to sweat Jamie's paints.  I'm loving the mix of B30, B55 and B15 etc thus:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044293-fairmile-d-colour-picture-identityattribution/

It means forking out for a Coastal Craft ready made offering but.........Christmas is coming:cyclops:

Rob

• Like 1

Update to show things have not stagnated.

20181004_202401.jpg

Floating jetty sections on the go. Left is a basic section with access hatch and planking added. Right, another section a little further along edging added and primed .

20181004_202417.jpg

Here are all the sections that will be used.

20181004_202505.jpg

Foam board with launch shaped trench.

20181004_202527.jpg

A WiP launch fitted for effect.

20181004_202703.jpg

A launch alongside the proposed jetty.

Hopefully you've got the idea.

Stuart

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Little update to show that it's still moving.

20181015-191203.jpg

The subject is stuck into its hole using some old decorators filler. Because I'll be using Liquitex Pouring Medium as the water, I've had to seal around the hull with toilet paper and PVA glue to prevent filling the void.

20181015-191339.jpg

Decking is primed in grey and a black wash applied. When dried, light grey acrylic pastel dust is brushed along the planks to knock back the black. Green pastel dust was then applied to areas to add tonal variety, this was repeated to the vertical rises. A couple of RAF guys are in the process of being painted.

Next, fixtures and fittings will need to be fitted to the decks.

Stuart

• Like 4