1/72 RAF ASR Launch

John, Terry, Kev and Beefy, thanks for the encouragement.

After doing that aerial array, I rewarded myself with a beer and a couple of Jameson's...nice.

Next up, will be the forward array, sticking on the anchor and lifebelts and then look into doing those scramble nets. Mustn't forget those insulators...

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers guys. I would've had another update with all the aerial rigging done but the forward aerial array is being a 'bar steward' and will try a third attempt tomorrow :rant::headbang:.

Then it's the scramble nets...and I'm not happy with the gauze look, I may be looking at that insane 'weave your own' like what Rob's done doing.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

... Then it's the scramble nets...and I'm not happy with the gauze look, I may be looking at that insane 'weave your own' like what Rob's done doing.

Stuart

Hi Stuart.

One other easier option might be cheese cloth - similar to this!   I haven't tried it, but it looks like it could work ... maybe?

John

Last update for a week or so as I'm off for a well deserved break in the west country, Cornwall.

IMG_8259.jpg

Fordeck now complete. The anchor was fitted, the screen that is fitted on top of cabin was made from acetate as the kit offing was 'pants'. All rigged up...with insulators ;).

IMG_8260.jpg

A few of the stern. Dingy fitted, as are the life belts. All rigged up...with insulators ;).

IMG_8261.jpg

Midships view showing the now complete rigging. Windows were filled with Formula '560' Canopy glue, worked very well.

IMG_8262.jpg

This is how she stands at the moment. The 'only' thing left to do on her is make and fit the scramble nets. :hmmm:

Stuart

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Windows were filled with Formula '560' Canopy glue, worked very well.

Not used that before Stuart, so I might give it a try. I'm wondering how to deal with the "port holes" in the Vosper Hull, so that might work. I assume its like the old Microscale kristal Klear?

The launch is looking very neat and tidy. Love the rigging.

Terry

43 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I assume its like the old Microscale kristal Klear?

It's more like PVA glue but dries fast like Kristal Klear. I think it was Rob who suggested how to do the windows with the Kristal.

16 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Love the rigging ... especially the insulators. 

9 minutes ago, longshanks said:

I think the insulators set it off

It had to be done, I couldn't leave them off after they got mentioned, could I Kev.:fraidnot:

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from a short break in Cornwall.

SITREP:

I have been trying to get these blooming nets done and every way I try...failure. I did come across some material that is open weave and looked very promising but it didn't work, it was to rigid and wouldn't roll small enough. So, I'm afraid to say that it looks like I'm going down Rob's route and 'knitting' a net. I do have some 'rigging' thread that the 'boaties' use but it's to think and the knots are the size of fists...need smaller.

Stuart

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Courageous said:

Back from a short break in Cornwall.

SITREP:

I have been trying to get these blooming nets done and every way I try...failure. I did come across some material that is open weave and looked very promising but it didn't work, it was to rigid and wouldn't roll small enough. So, I'm afraid to say that it looks like I'm going down Rob's route and 'knitting' a net. I do have some 'rigging' thread that the 'boaties' use but it's to think and the knots are the size of fists...need smaller.

Stuart

Stuart - Been there and feel all that pain;)

I bought my thread from Frome Model shop aeons ago - it is rigging thread.

The Jig and knot method is probably going to end up as the least worst solution.  My second one is sitting there waiting to be finished:(

(It was quicker the second time around - if that's any consolation)

And good to have you back BTW - hope you had a good break.

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
  • Like 1

Stuart

I watched "For those in Peril", last night, as suggested by Al Gunthwaite.  

It is absolutely the business - brilliant shots of the HSLs  inaction and RMLs.

Mt PC DVD has stopped working - so I can't grab a screen shot because there are several that show exactly how the scramble nets were secured - basically tied to wooden blocks.

Here's a not so good pic that shows them

4ff2ea84-5a7d-491a-a04c-7721a7f805f3.jpg

I cannot stress how useful "For those in peril" is - short and a tiny bit (wartime)cheesy but invaluable IMHO

HTH

Rob

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Cheers Sgt. I found the rigging quite therapeutic in an odd sort of way, more than I can say about those bloomin nets! If I take a bang to head during the net process, I might just get them from here:

http://thachweave.tripod.com/products.htm#Hand-woven Bumpers for 1/72 Models

Stuart 

Hi Stuart 

I've got that and it's good but IMHO too big and heavy duty for the HSL.  If you are interested I can dig it out and photograph it.  Better suited for the 1/72 Flower Class Corvette

Rob

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Would be interesting to see as their is no image on their site.

Any ideas on how the net is secured to the deck?

Stuart

Stuart - tied to those blocks - see the pic above.

I'll photograph the net.  Give me 10 to find it

Rob

• Like 1

Cheers Rob for 'block' image. I think that idea is a little late for this subject with all the painting done and all, hopefully I'll fit them when ASRL '156' makes its appearance.

Thanks again Rob for the net pick. As you say, the purchased item looks a little heavy for out ASRL's. That rigging thread looks like the 0.75mm I was going to buy but got 0.5mm instead...we'll see how it goes later.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Addition