1/72 RAF ASR Launch

Just a small update.

IMG_7964.jpg

Mushroom vents fitted. Front 'hut' fitted and some PPP added along its base. Rear edge of roof extended over rear window with plasticard and will need a sand/fill/sand routine.

IMG_7965.jpg

Airfix comes to the rescue by supplying me with a replacement centre roof section. Joins are a bit ropy so need some sorting, fits nicely onto the deck though.

Thanks for looking.

Until next time.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello people. Well, after a little bit of a hiatus for all sorts of reasons I'm able to tackle this outstanding subject.

IMG_8216.jpg

After a bit of filling and sanding the subject got a blast of Halfords primer, a little more work and a final coat of primer.

IMG_8217.jpg

Everything else was cleaned up and had a blast of primer, except the turret glazing. The turret glazing took a couple of hours to mask up before it had priming layer of acrylic yellow to act as a base primer. The question I ask myself is whether to use the windows for the cabin or use PVA/ Clearfix... 

Stuart

• Like 7

Hi Stuart

My vote is for PVA/Klearfix or best of all "Kristal Klear"

Good to see you back at this which is of course also a reminder that I have to finish off MGB 40 :whistle:

Rob

Cheers Rob. Kit windows not recommended... don't have any Kristal Klear, I have some 'Formula 560' canopy glue though.

Just tried some Trainer Yellow over grey...no likey, so, it'll be yellow over white. 

And as for the neglected MGB 40, I'm sure you'll get round to it sooner or later...hopefully.

Stuart

• Like 1

A small update for you guys.

IMG_8218.jpg

I tried the yellow on a grey primer and didn't like it, to dull. So, the parts that were going to be yellow were then primed in white and when dry, Humbrol Trainer Yellow enamel was airbrushed onto the parts. While I was at it, I painted a couple of life rings.

Stuart

• Like 8

On 7/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, Courageous said:

I tried the yellow on a grey primer and didn't like it, to dull. So, the parts that were going to be yellow were then primed in white and when dry, Humbrol Trainer Yellow enamel was airbrushed onto the parts. While I was at it, I painted a couple of life rings.

Lovely work here Stuart. Getting me all fired up to tackle a maritime subject again. Started a couple a few years back, might pick them up again!

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

I was hoping to get a little further forward with this subject but heat/ humidity in my cave is unbearable at the mo :phew: :phew::phew:, I'll  be glad when the Mk2 cave in the house is up and running :fingerscrossed:

Stuart

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this update comes from 'Man Cave Mk II', it was just too darn hot in shed, so I'm indoors now, and much cooler...winter time will be lovely.

IMG_8219.jpg

IMG_8220.jpg

Side and top views of the launch. Below the waterline the hull is painted with RN WW2 Anti-fouling Red (RN1), cabin sides DSG (ACRN03), both Colourcoats enamels. Upper hull was painted with Humbrol enamels H33, with deck and cabin top painted with H24. A couple of coats of Klear was also applied, ready to receive a few decals.

Stuart

• Like 5

Another update for the day.

IMG_8223.jpg

IMG_8227.jpg

Decals on. Getting the deck '130' decal on was a bit of a pain, mainly because I had to make some small holes so that I could get the mushroom vents through the decal.

Stuart

• Like 11

She is looking really great Stuart. There is something very appealing about models of these boats, as well as MTB's. Have picked up one myself recently plus an Airfix Vosper. Felt like a change form aircraft! I have also just received Vol 1 and Vol 2 of Coastal Coastal Crafts superb publications on Coastal Forces. Will have to get 3 and 4 eventually and also John Lambert's book.

I'm thinking of turning the Air Sea Rescue launch into MGB40 .........

Better get that sabre finished before these things consume me!

Can't wait to see your launch finished.

Terry

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

IMG_8219.jpg

IMG_8220.jpg

Looking good, must be close to sticking bits together

These two pics show the lush shape of these boats

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Felt like a change form aircraft!

Always room for more Coastal Forces enthusiasts

Kev

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice job Stuart - those decals have laid really well.  I only realised recently - someone pointed out (?JohnWS) that those oval shaped deck things are  not ventilators as I'd thought but are windows.  I'll be using some Mig Ammo smoke glaze on mine.

The toe rails really set it off and I agree with you about the "lush" shape (great Welsh word!!)

Top job:clap2:

Rob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

... I only realised recently - someone pointed out (?JohnWS) that those oval shaped deck things are  not ventilators as I'd thought but are windows. 

Yes, they're deck deadlights that allow light into the compartment below.  Here's a link to a detailed description of the deadlights used on the Elco PT boats, for those interested - http://www.pt103.com/PT_Boat_Components_Deck_Dead_Lights.html.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy shipmates. Little update.

IMG_8241.jpg

After a little persuasion the main cabin eventually fitted. Stanchions, masts, vents and turrets also fitted. The observant among you may notice that the windows have not been fitted and I've decided to use Clearfix or similar instead.

Now the wee boat awaits it's aerials and lines. Any suggestions on what size line to use for this task?

Stuart

• Like 8

Coming along a treat as for glazing have you tried Deluxe materials Glue and Glaze I can recommend this used on some of my projects with good results.

As for the rigging try EZline you can get different thickness but for 1/72 I think 0.6 would be the best scale size but sure some of the expert scratch builders will be along with some better suggestions  :book:

beefy

• Like 1

Cheers for likes guys.

6 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Deluxe materials Glue and Glaze

Don'y have any of that but I have something else I could try, I'll carry out an experiment tomorrow.

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Uschi line would be my choice

I have Uschi fine but looked to fine for the subject so I've ordered the thickest they do, so we'll see soon enough.

Stuart

Stuart, she looks great.  Neat work on the turret framing BTW.

The Uschi thread is very fine even the " standard".  I'm away at the moment so can't post pics but if you are going to attempt the "circle ariels" within the 3 strands fore and aft I suspect the job will be easier with EZ line.  The Uschi line really is very thin though obviously much closer to scale.

Fab work!

Rob

• Thanks 1

A bit of a wet day so I thought I'd spend a bit of time in the cave...after I've tidied it mind you.

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8254.jpg

And here we go. Using the Uschi 'standard' rigging line, it was time to do a little rigging on the ASRL. I was a little worried that the Uschi was going to be to fine but I think it looks about right and I think it's coming along okay. Next, it'll be making those very distinctive 'fancy' aerials that run from the bow and stern masts to the main mast.

Must remember to fit that bit of glazing on the front roof!

Stuart

• Like 10

Thanks Kev. As you said, the Uschi is closer to scale and looks good.

It is weird that I build and prefer my aircraft models as clean subjects but to me, these boats call out for some weathering...maybe the next one.

Stuart