New 1/72 Airfix Phantom FG1

Here's a quick build for a friends birthday, due for delivery in just over 1 week.

I've chosen the 767NAS scheme, and kept it free from stores.

The kit is really detailed, and nice to assemble. To be complete, I will add some more decals over the next few evenings, but if anyone has looked at the sheet yet, there are literally hundreds of stencils to go! I recommend this kit, and can't wait for the RAF FGR2 version.

Pilots were added from the spares box, and are not included in the kit. They do however look the part if you decide to build it "flying" :P

39206030325_e671587181_c.jpgIMG_20180205_212947 by hornet project, on Flickr

39206045625_9e04e85841_c.jpgIMG_20180205_212836 by hornet project, on Flickr

40105583751_4912503547_c.jpgIMG_20180205_212740 by hornet project, on Flickr

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 64

Thanks all for looking.

This took about 1 week of evenings to put together and paint. StuCrew I can recommend taking your time glueing the fuselage and wing sub-component parts together. They are super accurate, and if you allow one piece to be mis-aligned, it will have a knock-on effect on others.

I will probably spend another evening adding some more stencils, light weathering especially underneath, and a top coat of satin varnish to seal everything. For me this is a stepping stone kit before I tackle the Hasegawa 1/48 RAF FGR2 in my stash. 

• Like 1

Looks really nice. If you look at photos they were pretty monotone. I remember when they were still in service. We occasionally saw them over the Solent. In my mind, they were always glossy. I can vividly remember being 4 or 5 years old and seeing one of them brand new at the HMS Daedalus air show. It was the biggest noise I’d ever heard. I hid in my dad’s legs when it flew over.

Edited by Andy Robbins
  • Like 3

Impressive Mate, love it.
I am working on a Fujimi Kit given to me by a friend, however, I realized that the kit doesn't have any clears parts, some missing spure and decals was a mess can't even use. So I borrowed a canopy from another phantom and decals, can't progress any further due to no decals, and kept the project on HOLD.
Btw, the built.
xcdfghg.jpg

cheers

• Like 1

Wow, Nice job David!

Over here we have yet to receive the kit in Hobby shops. There was a lot of negative comment about the model from what i read so far, possibly having to do mainly with the installation of the wings in the folded configuration.

Any comments about overall construction or build sequence? I've built two of the Fujimi kits, and have more in my stash but i'd like to give the Airfix kit a try.

Thanks,

david

1 hour ago, David H said:

Wow, Nice job David!

Over here we have yet to receive the kit in Hobby shops. There was a lot of negative comment about the model from what i read so far, possibly having to do mainly with the installation of the wings in the folded configuration.

Any comments about overall construction or build sequence? I've built two of the Fujimi kits, and have more in my stash but i'd like to give the Airfix kit a try.

Thanks,

david

Hi David,

I thought it was a straightforward build.

As I've said earlier in this thread, care should be taken when glueing fuselage parts together accurately, as well as the wing underside panels, but all credit to Airfix on creating a superb new kit.

I will buy and make another FGR2 when it appears.

• Like 1

Very nice build, somewhat surprised too there are no pilot figures - it's just not Airfix  :bobby:  I never did think new Airfix was or perhaps not to be expected shake and bake Tamiya so not surprised there will be areas needing a bit of care. Still, not as bad as some other kits erm... East European short run :frantic:

Edited by Knight_Flyer

• 2 weeks later...