Wallace and Gromit (Top Bun Van )

4 hours ago, Dannimal said:

This is so cool!!, I have all the Wallace & Grommit kits to do some time, and my wife has all the Shaun The Sheep kits.

Well thank you for your interest.

i have all the kits also but only the land rover from Shaun the sheep

it is an interest of mine as my surname is wallace and I also had an a35 van. I would argue to nick park that I had the van before he had the idea lol 😝 

i am am turning one on my airfix vans into a repucla of my van but it has been on the back burner for some time

anyways all the doors are all primed and ready for the final colour and I will update when done 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay 

just a quick few photos of the finished doors

i will weather them up and make them more used looking when they are fixed to the van. Also the side doors need some apple green on them also

27316596928_8858aa827f_b.jpg

so this is the painted inside of the doors

40477330234_a2cefdd84e_b.jpg

And the outside, just need some green that will be done when they are fixed to the van. 

26317877797_6629cef4c3_b.jpg

Finished rear door with the Austin of England badge 

26317877657_f944d721de_b.jpg

and the inside.

not much to do now, the very kind chap on Shapeways has now designed the wall for me so I will be placing another order for this and the hinges and the number plates 

I will start again with the main body of the van. The windscreen wipers need to be removed and some of the recesses around the door openings. 

Hope you are all enjoying the build 

and questions or surgestions please drop me a line 

I’m always open to tips and tricks

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys for the long update I’ve been waiting for some more parts to come through. 

The first part I have been waiting for is the custom made rear wall

There are two options for this. Window open or closed. 

Window open for the Anti pesto van and closed for the Top-bun van

here is a link for the wall.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CFFW5UY2S/1-12-airfix-austin-a35-top-bun-backwall?optionId=65095631&li=ostatus

I have chosen the white strong and flexible polished option, as I had some spare penny's

41774836501_c865f51b26_b.jpg

I have chosen the window closed as per film. 

This part is designed for the new design of roof but it does fit the old design very well.

26906443827_b0d79dca6d_b.jpg

God knows how this guy designs this for a near perfect fit?

26906443557_d18d9e5cac_b.jpg

I have now glued this in place and have added some putty to the front to make good, were the join meets the new roof and the body

it looks a mess at the moment.

26906443617_2427cae1c5_b.jpg

All for now just have to wait for the putty to dry and then I can make good. Fingers crossed 

take care all and and god bless 

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Ian, I do like the handbreak, door handles and the treament on the seats, they look very tasty. The rack in the back, well the dogs danglies.

Me thinks I need to resurrect my build that got pushed onto the 'Shelf of Doooooom'! RAF style 'Follow Me' pick-up.

Colin

Very nice build Ian, I think those doors have turned out really well. Thanks for the detailed description of your build process.

Thank you all for all your kind comments. I'm hoping that this post will inspire people to turn these airfix kits into something really special.

The designer on shapeways  has really done a great job on designing extra parts for this Van. and there is still more that I have to share with you all.

I'm going to try and do some more over the weekend, just to keep you guys interested.

again, thank you for your feed back, and if you have any ideas on how I can do things or improve things then I'm all ears.

• Like 1

This is looking fantastic. I wasn't aware that these kits even existed. I'll be following along for the remainder of what is shaping into and really beautifully detailed project

• 2 weeks later...

I love these kits and its great to see a Top Bun conversion getting the wip treatment. Love the work you are doing on this ( amazing attention to detail ) hope you can show some more progress soon

Pete

Hi and sorry for the long update

I have started building 1:1 scale (rebuilding by sons bedroom) so on my build bench I m building 1:1 1:12 1:24 and 1:16 scale models lol

ow well lets move on then!

so another reason for the late update is that I am trying to finish the top of the van, but I am running into problems

the new roof is a pain in the #### to sand.

I have tried many ways and still cant get a baby bums finish so I have resulted to filler,

41483620874_b731ea9bd4_b.jpg

42204141781_deddd9284c_b.jpg

42204141441_b721daec74_b.jpg

42204140701_08b218cee5_b.jpg

I will let this fully dry and then see what happens, also you will see that I have opened up the sunroof, again this plastic is not the best to work with ether.

so my advise if you do one of these conversions put your hands deeper in your pockets and buy the better finish.

please note that this is not a design issue. you can pick what ever finish you want, just trying to make this clear as this designer has really designed some cool stuff.

anyway I have my boy this weekend so shops closed so it will come out again in the week and hopefully the green putty will help

on the plus side you can see it in a nice gray primer and with the sunroof open

thank you all for being so patient

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 2

Ian, once you have sanded the filler try Primer Filler rattle can [Hycote or similar] I used this on the same material from Shapeways and achieved a smooth finish, but yes it does need a lot of sanding, filling - repeat many times.

All your hard work is really looking impressive.

7 minutes ago, mbdesignart said:

Ian, once you have sanded the filler try Primer Filler rattle can [Hycote or similar] I used this on the same material from Shapeways and achieved a smooth finish, but yes it does need a lot of sanding, filling - repeat many times.

All your hard work is really looking impressive.

Thank you for the tip. I do have some Halfords filler primer. I’m guessing this would be the same stuff

Ok so after the very kind advise I have now rubbed down the putty again and sprayed the model with primer filler 

I have used Halfords own down to the fact that I had a spare can in my draw lol

anyway I will let this dry over night and see what it looks like

42262570241_cf566645df_b.jpg

Edited by ian wallace
  • Like 2

ok guys I think I'm happy with the finish !

after many coats of Halfords filler primer, I sanded it down with some wet and dry and then one more coat on AK gray primer for good luck

and this is the final finish

42307454761_83078dd183_b.jpg42307454761_83078dd183_b.jpg27438804257_975613f073_b.jpg

41585794814_018caab1cc_b.jpg

41406221815_89643f43fc_b.jpg

41585808824_cba373fe64_b.jpg

42260401972_c89c365ca5_b.jpg

I will leave this to dry over night and then give a rub over with some micro mesh ready for the final colour

thank you once again guys for your interest

• Like 3

Ok one small update

I've just added the cream to the main body work, and she looks cool, just a couple of places to touch up on, then just need to find a nice apple green.

27459521427_ddc8b6bff2_b.jpg

40522153490_62a2a6791e_b.jpg

40522166210_9725c72b56_b.jpg

27459728307_e2a81b14ef_b.jpg

now she is becoming to take shape, I don't know if you guys have noticed but I have also sanded off the window wipers,

I'm really looking forward to getting some green on this van, and then the pain of trying to get the decals for this

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ian wallace said:

now she is becoming to take shape, I don't know if you guys have noticed but I have also sanded off the window wipers

Who needs window wipers anyway 😎

Looking good, your hard work has paid off

I like the colour, but I'm no expert on the Wallace & Gromit stuff, can't really tell whether it's a match. If I look at pictures online the van sort of looks "greener", the colour in your picture looks more grey-ish to my eye. Could be the lighting though.