Revell PT 109 New tool

longshanks

I think we really need to see the sprue shots as the built example looks a bit dull and the guns appear to lack definition and detail that first made me wonder if it was a rebox of the original kit.

9 minutes ago, Geoff_B said:

I think we really need to see the sprue shots

I respectfully disagree ...

One would imagine that Revell would only release the early kits to respected modellers. So unless he is known for softening and or blocking out details, or perhaps uses a1" hairy stick this is a disappointment like the previous Corvette.

The fact that you thought " it was a rebox of the original kit " says it all. The original was released I believe in the 60s

There are a lot on here who knock Airfix, I wish they would teach Revell a thing or two about todays standards

Just my opinion ....

Kev

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the link Francis.

Here's my quick (first impression) comparison of the new kit to the original.  

A photo of the original kit sprue for reference;

24793848858_7cbe7da081_b.jpg

The obvious changes include two offered PT boat versions (1942/43 & JFK's 1943), a lot more parts, a multi-part hull, and the addition of depth charges & the bow 37 mm anti-tank cannon.

There appears to be a number of other 'detail' improvements in the new kit.  These include;

- hull detail including molded inlets/outlets on the sides, & the addition of the bow reinforcement plate, and stern muffler details.

- additional prop shaft supports, & corrected rudder shape.

- addition of day cabin & chart house interior detail.

- addition of clear window & windscreen parts.

- MG & turret detail.

- torpedo tube detail.

- Oerlikon gun detail (separate ammunition magazine).

- instrument panel decals.

One of my major complaints with the original kit was molded plastic quality.  The parts were bulky with lots of flash and, in some cases, lacked visible detail (e.g. Oerlikon gun, deck vents and bow toe rail).  I guess this was to be expected in a 1960's model kit, even though Airfix was able to provide superior molded plastic quality at that time.  It appears the new kit does not address the lack of deck vent & toe rail detail & does not include the crew figures that were included in the original kit.

John

• Like 2

I'm hoping Hobbico is not betting on saving the company with this one....it still looks pretty plain. While they have added stuff to make it closer to PT-109 as it was sunk, the 'new' detail still looks like it came out of the 60s or 70s. I am going to let this one pass by with no regrets. While more accurate, it still does not impress me in quality, especially not for 2018.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hepster said:

Isn't this a re-pop of the Italeri kit?

Negative; this is 1/72 scale. The Italeri kit is 1/35 scale. And while it has its problems, is still a far better model than this relic with lipstick Revell is trying to push.

Edited by Asmodai

• 3 weeks later...

well i'll be the contrarian here. in a lot of ways, this looks like a huge improvement over the original kit (the gouges for planks on the deck, which were sanded smooth and painted over  in real life, are gone! yay!). molded-in toe rails are still a disaster, but they are easily enough replaced with very nice White Ensign PE. the interior detail does nothing for me, because i want to make the little guy radio control (yes, i'm aware that's insane, even more so since i hope to get it 'up on the step').  Torpedo tubes and rails are a big improvement but could still use some spiffing up. 

yeah it looks like a step back from their Schnellboot. yeah the guns look atrocious, but i was always planning to go aftermarket for the guns (Schnellboot too).  if you want to do 109 on its last mission, the antitank gun was a real thing, and White Ensign does a nice one. i'll probably build more than one of these 80' Elco boats, but none of them will be the 109. first one will be the 105 as skppered by Dick Keresey. 

i know many people focus on the fit and engineering of a kit or the crispness of the details, but to my eye the most important aspect of a kit is the shape. the best thing about the old kit was the shape of the hull, it was/is spot on. the new one looks good from the photos, but i don't see why they made the hull in multiple pieces. unless it's a lot lighter than the old hull, i'll probably use the new deck with the old (one-piece) hull. 

So yeah maybe i'm the only one excited about this release, but i *am* excited about it. it's the only option in 1/72 aside from scratch building (well, you can buy a hull and scratch build the rest). so any upgrade is worthwhile. 

Radio controlled ......

Good for you!

I know weight is the enemy at this size, I wonder how a fibreglass hull and deck would compare ??

Might be worth asking Christian at http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/the-hulls

I know he does lightweight hulls if requested and supplies with or without the deck attached

Just a thought

Kev

I have converted the Airfix RAF launch and the 73' Vosper MTB to radio control and got scale speeds although the total weight was  a bit over the scale figure and only one over scale propeller was used.  The main key to making this work is the availability of micro RC sets (I use Deltang 2.4 GHz boards) and lightweight geared motors used in RTF model planes.   If you search on You Tube, Deans Marine have several videos of a whole range of small boats being given a similar treatment.

Presumably the old PT kit will now be available cheaply so mixing the old hull with the new upperworks shouldn't be too costly.

• 2 weeks later...

If you had shown me the sprue shot's without explanation I would never have put this down to a new tool Revell kit,the molding looks

more short run than what we normally see it's better but not 40 odd years better than the old kit,that said for the price it should appeal.

• Like 2